Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 2021 SR+ to 2021 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have recently been making a number of journeys that have exceeded the range of my Standard Range Plus model, and was thinking of upgrading to the LR Model. Looking at valuations from Motorway or We Buy Any Car, I can get in the range of £40-41K for my car, which is almost what I paid for it.

My main thinking for moving to a LR is as follows;
- Longer Range benefits me on the type of journeys I have made recently.
- LR model, will hold value more (I think) than SR+ in about 3-4 years as the Longer range will become more the norm.
- Great trade in price for SR+ means I can offset the loan payments (not HP Finance) I have made towards the SR+ towards the cost of the LR.
-

Thoughts welcome from all on the forum.

Reactions: Yev000 and Big Earl
I think 200 mile range is likely to remain typical in the long term for many cars. Gives a solid 100 mile winter range, which is plenty for most day-to-day use. That isn't to say that a LR won't hold its value well though.

Hi,

I have recently been making a number of journeys that have exceeded the range of my Standard Range Plus model, and was thinking of upgrading to the LR Model. Looking at valuations from Motorway or We Buy Any Car, I can get in the range of £40-41K for my car, which is almost what I paid for it.

- LR model, will hold value more (I think) than SR+ in about 3-4 years as the Longer range will become more the norm.
- Great trade in price for SR+ means I can offset the loan payments (not HP Finance) I have made towards the SR+ towards the cost of the LR.
-

Horses for courses. If you spend a high proportion of time driving longer distances on motorways the LR is going to be worth the extra financial stretch. In most other patterns of use it will be more of a mixed picture as to which way to jump. Given that the SR+ is always going to be the cheapest way to get into a Tesla I would think that it's always likely to have a queue of interested buyers. I think all Model 3 variants will hold their value very well.

LR model, will hold value more (I think) than SR+ in about 3-4 years as the Longer range will become more the norm.
I'd agree that the LR will hold its valve better in terms of percentage of initial list price (range is the biggest concern to people considering moving to an EV so the longer the better) but in terms of actual £££s lost will be around the same or more due to the initial higher purchase price.

The LR is relatively good value over the SR+. It isn't just the extra range; the extra performance, AWD and improved audio system justify the extra expense. It's the M3P that is a ripoff in this country, £ 11.5k extra over the LR whereas in Germany for example the difference is only around £ 4.2k.

Reactions: pow216
If the financials work I would definately do it if you are already stretching it range wise. The difference in the winter is marked and that's not the time of the year you want to be faffing about any more than necessary.

Reactions: hcdavis3
As another poster mentioned, if you're maxxing range now, winter will be painful. The round trip max range without charging is something I probably underestimated and unlike long distance trips, might not be well services by fast chargers.

Model 3s hold their value amazingly well, regardless of spec. It's gonna need some serious competition or the Model2 to impact the price to a large degree.

I love it, but I'm thinking about selling my 69 SR+ w/20k for a LR.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hi,

-

Also, faster, more expensive to insure and has all the intended bits, such as a subwoofer.

Absolutely worth it.

I sold my SR+ for nearly the purchase price and collect a LR next week - it's not just the extra range, power, all wheel drive, subwoofer, 13 speakers, ambient lights, heatpump, boombox, better build, wireless charging pads, USB C, chrome delete, double glazing, power boot (not an issue though) and facelifted interior the biggest thing is the lack of piano black inside TGFT

I sold my SR+ for nearly the purchase price and collect a LR next week - it's not just the extra range, power, all wheel drive, subwoofer, 13 speakers, ambient lights, heatpump, boombox, better build, wireless charging pads, USB C, chrome delete, double glazing, power boot (not an issue though) and facelifted interior the biggest thing is the lack of piano black inside TGFT
Out of interest did you sell your SR+ privately or to a internet company such as We buy any car?

I do plenty of long motorway journeys. Switched SR+ to LR after 12 months and I’ve definitely made the right choice now. If you’re on the decision point and the numbers stack up, I’d do it. The range difference isn’t night and day but it definitely reduces constant range anxiety and charging times. Turning a long drive into a one-stop from a two-stop is psychologically immense and definitely quicker.

We’re going to France the day after collection and according to ABRP, leaving Manchester with 90% I can get to the Calais SuC with one 15min stop at Cambridge. If that isn’t enough range then I don’t know what is.

ABR is really useful ... but does anyone else find their charging time estimates are optimistic? The LR will charge faster than an SR+ of course.

Reactions: Mr H

I take you point but the OP is in a 2021 car already, so your list ends up as:

"it's not just the power, all wheel drive, subwoofer, 13 speakers, ambient lights"

And then add in the SR+ can charge to 100% with impunity and the LR can't, so take 90% of the LR range and compare that to 100% of the SR+ range and you get 278 miles v 0.9 x 360 = 324 (call it 50 miles more).

What we really need is the BT42 battery in the UK with the extra 5 kwh of battery

Not doubting that the 50 miles may well be worth having, but it's also worth being clear when spending other peoples money :)