Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to MCU2 and AP HW3.0 [Europe]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just used the phone app to request upgrade from HW2 to HW3 (I have FSD purchased with the car) + upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 + radio.
Appointment is set at Cham SC for Oct. 19th.
Let's see if it works or if they cancel it.

I have a 2017 MS 90D and had HW2.0/MCU1 to HW3/MCU2 done a few weeks ago in the UK. I also had the CCS upgrade done at the same time.

Booked it via the app with about a weeks notice, all parts available, it took pretty much the whole day, but worked perfectly and no issues.

No radio, so I'm keen to know whether any more recent (post 19th October) upgrades to MCU2 are getting the radio for free as part of the £2k upgrade, or having to pay an additional amount. I'm expecting to have to pay to now have radio sorted, would be good to know how they are handling any new MCU2 requests (i.e. do you get an option for no Radio, a radio at extra cost, or just MCU2 and Radio all in for the same original MCU upgrade fee).

As a follow up: SeC contacted me today (phone call) and explained that they can perform HW3+MCU2 for 2600 CHF, but that there is no availability of new tuner for the time being.
When it will be available they will let me know, price still not known.
I conformed the appointment on 19th November for HW3+MCU2 (radio tuner will have to wait, anyway I listen 99% of the time to USB music).
Will let you know how it works out.

As a follow up: SeC contacted me today (phone call) and explained that they can perform HW3+MCU2 for 2600 CHF, but that there is no availability of new tuner for the time being.
When it will be available they will let me know, price still not known.
I conformed the appointment on 19th November for HW3+MCU2 (radio tuner will have to wait, anyway I listen 99% of the time to USB music).
Will let you know how it works out.
Did you maybe asked for radio?

Did you maybe asked for radio?
Bern center in Switzerland told me that they first do AP3 updates for people upgrading to MCU2 at the same time. Unclear if it was just a way to prioritize things or because they didn’t have the AP3-MCU1 harness. Went there last week for another issue and they checked if they could do it on the spot but they had some missing elements, they talked about a « pump », which surprised me. Normally, it seems to take them 5’ish days to get equipment delivered from the NL, but the material wasn’t available in the NL, so it had to come from the USA, which means they had not ability to predict the time it would get for it to get delivered to NL.

I just approved the offer for my upgrade, here is the pro-forma invoice.
Clipboard01.jpg

Will post my impressions after update on 19th Nov.

Today was the day!
8.30 left my car at Cham Service Center. Contactless. No loaner available (my fault, I forgot to specifically ask for it when I booked appointment). Manager was super-helpful and offered to bring me and my wife with his car to Zug train station where I had a meeting with some business partners. Thanked him and declined, went for a walk, I had enough time to enjoy the trail along the lake and get to my business meeting at the right time.
8.45 leave the Service Center and managers tells me that car will be ready "late in the afternoon" and that he will call me when ready.
13.45 SMS on my phone: "your car is ready". Couldn't believe it, but they where really super fast!
15.30 (I took my time, I know! long lunch!) back at Service Center, quick check that app connects and sends commands, contactless payment, contactless delivery and we are ready to roll!
Only very minor negative note: my settings where lost, only thing remaining was total odometer, all the rest was as after a factory reset.

Quick comments: I'm very happy about this upgrade! The car feels like a new car, screen is incredibly fast, route calculation takes just a few seconds even for very long trips ( > 1000 Km), camera calibration took 15 km after that AP is working flawlessly even better than before. Less jerky, no phantom brakes at all. Tesla Cam is incredible! I had a new USB stick ready for it, and it works like a charm! New visualisation on the IC are good also. Obviously I lost FM radio, but I listen to it very seldom and a couple of the stations I could find immediately on tune-in, so nothing is lost from a user experience point-of-view. Installed new software update as soon as I got home.
Have not yet tried games, but already had some fun with wife singing karaoke.

Just got the install from AP2 to AP3, MCU1 to MCU2 and additional radio module done in Berne on a S90D from early 2017. All seems great. I still need to dig into the features but one thing that surprised me is that the radio module seems to be ADB only, or I didn’t see the FM selector yet. A change from the previous radio module in the MCU1 though is that the change of one DAB channel to the other is super fast while it was super slow before. LMK if you have any questions.