Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rpc,
We all get to (learn and) change the way we look at performance now :) I particularly love all the back and forth over just how much horsepower the MS does or does not have when the car is smoking quick. I simply do not care about the marketing description when real world sub 80 mph performance is what I deal with every day.

What is torque steer?
Motivates me to study TM's differential and motor power "transmission" configuration. Wonder if they have advantages over ICE there in the torque steer area, e.g., do they have reduced drive shaft asymmetries or reduced mass/moments of inertia effects?, perhaps they can digitally compensate in some areas?, etc. (Like seemingly every other category in electric vs. ICE, the answer is usually "advantage electric motor"). Of course, when they deliver the 85Q (quad) I assuming they will be able to eliminate (or at least fully compensate) for the effects torque steer through the advantages of independent electric motors driving each wheel. (TM: consider that my owner wish list item for the day, even if it is a highly impractical ROI. :)

And here's hoping they figure out a way to deliver the D->Q configuration update OTA... :)

One of the things I enjoyed the most when I first test drove a PD was its ability to pick just the right amount of front end torque to "pull" the nose of the car through a corner. Gone was that roll the tires over understeer from my P+. Sure, the car still understeers at the limit but you do not feel like you are just slamming the front tires when you turn in. The electronics just feed in torque to the front motor in fine increments to get the desired result. It's a real hoot.

Sorry, but I had to ask ;)

370KW = 495hp

So how have you got 495hp out of 2x 221hp = 422hp motors that are supposedly only rated at 211hp in the S85D.
Not only that, you are well under 4secs for the 0-60 from your chart.

Now I am really confused (and P85D owners going to be pretty pissed too)

Yep. S85D after updates are getting 370kW and I just logged my P85D today in Insane mode and got a max of only 411kW (90% SoC). Seriously, only 41 more kW than the 85D. Seems the S85D is overrated and the P85D underrated. As of right now, the S85D is a crazy value proposition IMO, if its putting out close to the maximum inverter power as the P85D.. Tesla needs to put out an update that actually comes close to the 691 advertised horsepower. The S85D is advertised at 422HP but clearly its drawing closer to 500HP! The P85D advertised at 691HP, but is putting out closer to 546HP based on my personal testing.

Stoney, what SoC was your run?

Yep. S85D after updates are getting 370kW and I just logged my P85D today in Insane mode and got a max of only 411kW (90% SoC). Seriously, only 41 more kW than the 85D. Seems the S85D is overrated and the P85D underrated. As of right now, the S85D is a crazy value proposition IMO, if its putting out close to the maximum inverter power as the P85D.. Tesla needs to put out an update that actually comes close to the 691 advertised horsepower. The S85D is advertised at 422HP but clearly its drawing closer to 500HP! The P85D advertised at 691HP, but is putting out closer to 546HP based on my personal testing.

Stoney, what SoC was your run?

80%

Wow man. 80% I think my P85D's maximum was right around the 373-380 area! That's interesting. When you get the chance, log a run at 90% SoC to compare with my 90% run. I'm starting to think both of these cars are the same peak horsepower, but software is ramping the power delivery sooner and Tesla is charging a big premium for only 0-60 times and just simply changing basic firmware settings and the hardware is essentially the same. That's a big problem when u market a car at 691HP vs 422HP, because the P85D guys are not getting that power at all.

Look at it this way, the autopilot features in the current Teslas are first-generation - so the current buyers will be in y(our) shoes in a few years.

I expected range increases and minor stuff, but the autopilot TACC is what I'm jealous of. AWD is great, but my car drives fine w/o it.

Does anyone know what the trade-off is between Normal and Sport Acceleration modes? Is there any reason not to just leave it in Sport mode? Assuming you don't punch it and you're in Sport mode, does it decrease the range?

So I've been doing my commute for the past week with the car (new job). Which is around 10-12 kWh each way in range mode. I did it yesterday in sport acceleration mode and range mode and got 9.9 kWh on the way in. Traffic and the weather was a mess on the way home so I did 16.2 kWh on the way back, but I don't think that indicative of the sport mode. I'll keep driving this week and see if it makes any more difference. But my impression is that it doesn't make much difference at all unless you use the extra acceleration.

So, based on comments in this thread, I'm hearing everyone loud and clear saying the $10k upgrade from 70D to 85D is PLENTY worth it!? Do I need the SAS or just stick with the coils for the AWD? Does it matter?

I have an 85D with coils and am happy with my decision.

Benefits of Coils:
Save money on the front end
Longer term reliability (there are several more things that could go wrong with coils)
Negligible efficiency difference
Ride quality difference, especially with 19" wheels, is also minor

Benefits of SAS:
Wow factor of impressing your neighbors :)
Steep driveway with potential to bottom out the car

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong either way but I've gathered you're trying to keep the price down a bit so this is an easy option to cut out in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, meant to say:
"Longer term reliability (there are several more things that could go wrong with the SAS)"