Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded V2 Supercharger - Do 75D cars benefit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 111 kw charge rate on my 2017 MX 75D this past weekend after getting the 2019.12.1.1 sometime last week. That the highest rate I’ve ever seen. The battery was warm and down to 15% SOC and the weather was nice.

I have a 2018 MX 75D on 12.1.2 and got 112/111 from around 12% range. Battery was warm from long distance travel. Not sure when it tapered but it was noticably faster overall till I stopped at ~85%. I saw it briefly hit 115 early on but it dropped back to 112 in less than a minute. This was the Chester, VA SC.

Reactions: knakworst
I just had a charging session where I arrived with around 26% SOC, 64 miles left in the charge. After getting +10 miles added I reached my peak of 127kW. This is a 75 350v pack (7/2018 build). I’ve never seen anything higher than 116kW since the charging improvement updates.

Has anyone else seen anything close to this rate?

Attachments

• 53DC07EF-9645-4E66-98AD-B22F51B9D7F0.jpeg
    53DC07EF-9645-4E66-98AD-B22F51B9D7F0.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I’ve seen 110kw before when the car was new. It dropped to a cap of 90kw for at least a year. This past week I saw the highest rate I’ve ever seen on my car.

It was an SC I used a couple of times. It was about 2-3 weeks ago I last used the same one, same stall, before updating to 2019.20.21. It was also previously around 88-90kw.

6F5061CB-4159-4FAE-BC0A-3F4366D9B307.jpeg

Just adding a data point here since I took my 2017 S75D on the first road trip in a year or so. I arrived at a supercharger with about 7% remaining, and after a minute or two at ~50kW, it jumped up to 123kW for at least a few minutes. I remember a year or two ago being frustrated that this car never seemed to charge faster than about 50kW. Something has definitely improved.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 96
Finally made a longer trip with our X yesterday. It was a nice charging performance improvement, even though the route did not have 150kW superchargers I was getting 116kW from 120kW supercharger(s) until 41% (full speed this charger can provide given that the pack voltage is lower). 40kWh was recharged on every stop in 25-26 minutes which is really awesome. I suppose it might be even a minute or so faster if the charger was upgraded to 150kW.

In other words, if you are going REALLY far and the route has superchargers, driving either 75D or 100D basically makes no difference?Charger sets the pace now and those are pretty much identical.

In other words, if you are going REALLY far and the route has superchargers, driving either 75D or 100D basically makes no difference?Charger sets the pace now and those are pretty much identical.
If you are going really far, the 100 kWh battery is still a better choice as it could allow you to go longer distances between stops and reduce the number of charges required. There are some places where a 75 kWh car still can't go easily. Also, having a 100 kWh battery allows for shorter Supercharger sessions since you wouldn't need to charge the battery as fully at each stop. If you use a tool such as A Better Route Planner, you can see how much time would be saved on a trip that requires several Supercharger stops.

• Informative
Reactions: Bacalao
If you are going really far, the 100 kWh battery is still a better choice as it could allow you to go longer distances between stops and reduce the number of charges required. There are some places where a 75 kWh car still can't go easily. Also, having a 100 kWh battery allows for shorter Supercharger sessions since you wouldn't need to charge the battery as fully at each stop. If you use a tool such as A Better Route Planner, you can see how much time would be saved on a trip that requires several Supercharger stops.

I can also think of a trailer load of reasons of why a 100D would be better too. Especially when it gets cold.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If you are going really far, the 100 kWh battery is still a better choice as it could allow you to go longer distances between stops and reduce the number of charges required.

You can do that, but then the breaks are going to be longer making the travel time more or less the same.

There are lots of use cases when the 100 pack helps, yes. But going along the highway full of superchargers is not one of them..

Finally made a longer trip with our X yesterday. It was a nice charging performance improvement, even though the route did not have 150kW superchargers I was getting 116kW from 120kW supercharger(s) until 41% (full speed this charger can provide given that the pack voltage is lower). 40kWh was recharged on every stop in 25-26 minutes which is really awesome. I suppose it might be even a minute or so faster if the charger was upgraded to 150kW.

Out of 51 Superchargers on my recent roadtrip, I think there were four that I didn't exceed 120 kW on with my Ludicrous X early in the session - and two of those were because I shared a cabinet with someone.

Your conclusion seems suspect - the 100 charges 20% or more faster in the vast majority of situations, and can sustain the higher charge rate longer because the taper hits later.

My personal experience matches this - with my X75D (before the new firmware accelerated charge speeds,) it was very hard to exceed 50 mph as an overall average with charging included on full days of driving.

My Raven can get to 60 in western areas with their higher speed limits (the larger Supercharger jumps out there kept the overall speed of the 75 down because it had to push well into the taper to make them.)

There are lots of use cases when the 100 pack helps, yes. But going along the highway full of superchargers is not one of them..
Most of the western and central United States are not "full of Superchargers" and there are many places off the Supercharger network that cannot be crossed easily with a 60 or 75 kWh battery. For those long stretches that a 75 kWh can cross, they would have to charge to a much higher SOC which will take much longer than a 90 or 100 kWh battery. We can easily drive 1000 km in a day and get there an hour or two faster in a car with a higher capacity battery vs. one with a lower capacity.

I have a 75D and yesterday I went to the newish superchargers at Scotch Corner just off the A1 in UK. Arrived with 19% I think.

I was with work colleagues so didn't pay too much attention but saw it shot straight up to well into the 400mph charging rates (sure I saw over 450 as I was getting my jacket out), never seen it so high. I wish I'd looked at the actual charge rate, but suspect I was well into the 120's.