Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading a dead MCU1 to MCU2. Cost? Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S with a dead MCU1. It died last week after some minor signs of eMMC degredation. This was prior to the warranty extension announcement.

At the time I requested that they just upgrade to MCU2 as a fix. I figured if I was going to have to get it fixed I might as well get the upgrade while I was at it. My service appointment is next week.

Shortly after I made the appointment, the warranty announcement was made. Right around the same time I was contacted by the SC to verify what the problem was. I asked if the warranty announcement would have any impact on the upgrade cost and they said no. $2500 regardless since it's an upgrade.

So now I'm trying to decide if I should just take the free fix and call it good. I'm actually interested in the upgrade anyway but I don't feel like bailing Tesla out of their responsibility to fix the eMMC in this unit. I'm tempted to request that they do both. Fix the MCU1, then upgrade it and give me the spare parts. Maybe the repaired MCU1 could help someone out who is out of warranty?

Anyone in a similar situation?

I don't see how you are bailing Tesla out of replacing the failed eMMC. Are you saying they won't give you a replacement MCU1 to replace your failed one? Your car should be covered for a replacement even if your original warranty expired.

Warranty work won't get you any parts back. I say just get a free MCU1 replacement and be done with it.

Your choices are pretty clear here:

1) Accept the warranty replacement for free
2) Pay $2500 to upgrade to MCU2

That's it. There's no other magic involved.

If you "make them do both", you can keep the fixed MCU1 after the MCU2 upgrade, but it will cost you another $1,000 for the privilege.

Reactions: elee888
I don't see how you are bailing Tesla out of replacing the failed eMMC.

Warranty work won't get you any parts back.

If I pay for the upgrade, Tesla gets out of the cost of doing the repair that they would otherwise be responsible for. As silly as it sounds, I don't feel inclined to do them that favor despite the fact that I'm interested in the upgrade anyway.

The upgrade would not be a warranty repair.

They charge a $1,000 core charge if you want to keep the old MCU1, and IC1.

This answers the question. I wasn't aware of this.

So now the question is: is it worth upgrading to MCU2 on a 2016 car? I will take that question to the appropriate thread.

Sounds like a cut off the nose to spite the face situation.

not getting the upgrade to “show em”, even though you are interested in the upgrade. It will also give your vehicle a refreshed feel that you will use and enjoy on a daily basis. Tesla won’t notice the $500.

I’m getting the MCU2 upgrade this coming spring for my 2017 MCU1 even though I could instead get the “free” eMMC replacement.

Any of this apply to you?

If you previously paid for any repairs for the specific part and condition described in this notice, you may be eligible for reimbursement subject to certain terms and conditions. Within 90 days, Tesla will send you an additional notice that details reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursement. Please be aware that any repair conducted for the part and condition described above at a non-Tesla service provider more than 10 calendar days after the date of this notice is not eligible for reimbursement.

I opted to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla? 

If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

More information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements will be available by or before February 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917