Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper control arm bushings , tesla wont replace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MPP aftermarket coilover kit on my model y. The conrol arm bushings are making noise so I took it in for service. Tesal service sends me a message saying I have to reinstall the factory parts for them to fix it. Yeah right!

Im in Ontario. Can I get them to repair it? What are my arguements?

Thanks

This is very standard procedure. The service centre will contact warranty and see if it’s covered. If it’s not then that’s final say. They might replace it under good will but that all depends on how nice you are. If you demand it then the service centre isn’t going to stick there neck out for you.

It’s not like the service centre is going to replace the control arm on there dime.

I have the same setup as you. I have this annoying creaking noise emitting from passenger side. Service center said it’s either the upper control arm or lower control arm. Which is it I said, cause they charge me 180 to diagnose it. They said one of the two.

I just place an order for Meyle Control Arm Set for Tesla Model 3 2018+ and Model Y 2019+ × 1.

If that doesn’t fix it then I’ll work on the lower control arm.

Just had the SC replace both upper control arms under warranty for the same noise. Took a video while turning the steering wheel and you can hear the noise. I can see why they want you to re-install the factory parts first before looking at your vehicle. they want to make sure the problem is the upper control arms and not interaction between the arms and your coil overs.

Most places these days won't replace control arm bushings (ICE and EV). They want to replace the entire control arm as a unit, easier for them that way instead of pressing bushings out and in. Also, less chance of customer coming back saying the new bushings that were installed are also squeaking.

Most people that replace with aftermarket coilovers (or anything else aftermarket) keep the Original Equipment in the garage, and swap the OE parts back on the car before bringing it into the shop for any kind of warranty work. Once they see you modified the original suspension, you own it, and they won't cover it under warranty.

If it's making noise, you prob just need to lube the upper ball joint... Mine was making a crazy noise whenever I turned the wheel or went over a bump... So I used a needle tip on my grease gun... Problem is gone...

Most places these days won't replace control arm bushings (ICE and EV). They want to replace the entire control arm as a unit, easier for them that way instead of pressing bushings out and in. Also, less chance of customer coming back saying the new bushings that were installed are also squeaking.

Most people I see on YouTube that replace with aftermarket coilovers (or anything else aftermarket) keep the Original Equipment in the garage, and swap the OE parts back on the car before bringing it into the shop for any kind of warranty work. Once they see you modified the original suspension, you own it.
Spot on analysis. Most experienced shops will have a press (we do), but selling the entire control arm is easier and more profitable to shops in the end. Control arm bushings are a ~2 hour job. It doesn't take much time to replace.

Reactions: ICEMAN_7
Overnight my MYP ~54K started the same noise, but seemed to be a little more on the right side. A creaking sound like it was a frame issue.....very disconcerting. I was able to "massage" the boot and make the creaking go away, if I removed the wheel and unbolted the UCA I could manually move the bushing around. The creak did go away for a few days, but because there is a lack of grease in the boot the issue comes back. According to a Meyle video online, the Model Y windshield rain gutter is designed to channel all rain and snow from the windshield through troughs that run the water over the suspension components, leading to the premature failure. Most new cars will trough the rain all the way down through the body. After investigation, I did find that it was the Right Upper Control Arm Ball joint. A poorly designed and manufactured part. (1044321-00-J & 1044326-00-J). You can tell by the "J" revision level that they have been chasing this issue with the Upper Control Arm since release of the car. No ball joints should be going bad and running out of grease in less than 100K miles. Meyle sells an upgraded part that is showing up on the new 2024 Model Y's. (Meyle Control Arm Set for Tesla Model 3 2018+ and Model Y 2019+).

E7C64DA6-CCDC-4E32-A7E1-7AD4CDDCB988_1_105_c.jpeg

New Meyle part on a 2024 Model Y

0EAC7F5C-7E30-4B45-B4C1-A386A6096AF0_1_105_c.jpeg

Tesla Parts Catalog with Latest revisions for Upper Control Arms.

On YouTube there are a lot of DIY's for injecting Grease into the boot. Its a good fix and if you seal it properly with Weather Stripping glue, it should last quite a long time.

I took our Model Y to our local Tesla service center and discussed with them, the service advisor readily admitted that it is a bad part. They see this a lot and it seems to be a 40k - 65k miles issue. In our exchange I said, "I don't want to be investing north of $700 on a part that is obviously defective with an abnormally short lifespan". I believe due to the frequency of occurrence they readily offer to do the repair minus the labor. He changed out both Upper Controls Arms (Left & Right side) and since I was out of warranty I only paid for the parts plus tax. $275. The entire job with labor would have been almost $800. It took a little over 2 hrs and I was out the door.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I did this recently (syringe, grease, boot) but the creaking came back the next day. Feeling defeated. I'm at 53k miles and had both FUCAs replaced under warranty less than a year ago.
Dang man. Why do Tesla parts keep breaking!? I just don't get it.

I'm like, you. I think there should be insurance for suspension issues. Did you check with the service center if they warrantied the repair? They might be able to replace it free of charge.

Reactions: aaron4126