Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Control Arm Sealing DIY?

zannman

May 15, 2019
Ohio
Just wondering if anyone has done this sealing of the control arm ball joint area DIY.

From the pictures I've seen it's just applying a sealant around the metal seam between the wishbone and ball joint part of the upper control arm, although I'd probably slather some on the center of the ball joint mount as well - where a zerk might have been put on other cars.

I've also seen the recommendation to release the control arm and exercise the ball joint to spread the grease around. I may do that concurrently.

Just trying to do some pre-emptive planning on my car that will likely be going out of warranty on mileage this month. I've had one upper control arm replacement - Rev G to H - but the passenger side is hanging in there at the moment.

Skione65

May 5, 2016
Kentucky
Just wondering if anyone has done this sealing of the control arm ball joint area DIY.

From the pictures I've seen it's just applying a sealant around the metal seam between the wishbone and ball joint part of the upper control arm, although I'd probably slather some on the center of the ball joint mount as well - where a zerk might have been put on other cars.

I've also seen the recommendation to release the control arm and exercise the ball joint to spread the grease around. I may do that concurrently.

Just trying to do some pre-emptive planning on my car that will likely be going out of warranty on mileage this month. I've had one upper control arm replacement - Rev G to H - but the passenger side is hanging in there at the moment.
Model Year? Mileage?

Ski

zannman

May 15, 2019
Ohio
2019 LR AWD Model 3. Drivers side replaced around 32k miles. Passenger still okay at 49k and I'm wondering whether I should actively do something with it.

It's the only maintenance that has had to be done on this car, other than a routine tire replacement at 26k.

Reactions: Skione65

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon

Also my question...I have read that Tesla started sealing that joint at the Factory...if so, it was not done on our car which was delivered Sept.4 2021. I could do it myself if it is just around the metal between the rubber (upper and lower )

Gauss Guzzler

Safety Score = 7
Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
Tesla mobile recently did the sealing service on my '21 and here's what it looks like. The tech put on a rubber glove and squeezed some thick pasty "urethane sealant" onto his finger then reached up into the wheelwell to smear it on. He didn't lift the car or even turn the wheel for access, just reached blindly right in there (maybe that's why Tesla left such a large fender gap?). Of course it's easily accessible from the frunk as well if you take out the liner.

I don't know if water intrusion at this joint is related to the ball joint noise issue or if this service is just to prevent corrosion at that edge leading to structural failure.

Annotation 2021-10-28 152952.png

And for reference here's a closer view of that seam without the sealant. Pic is from an earlier car (not mine) but joint looks the same:
Annotation 2021-10-28 153948.png

Dysan911

Jul 7, 2021
Callahan, FL
I"m really trying to wrap my brain around how smearing anything to the external rubber boot helps fix a squeak. I assumed they would maybe inject some extra grease with a syringe or something but I guess not.

Gauss Guzzler

Safety Score = 7
Dec 27, 2020
Thousand Oaks, California
No one is smearing anything on a rubber boot. Tesla's service involves sealing the steel/steel seam shown above. Maybe water can wick into the ball socket from there? Or maybe the arm tends to corrode at that joint and they're concerned about it breaking.

Noise fixes typically involve wiggling the ball around to redistribute grease and/or injecting more grease.

Reactions: Dysan911

AI1337Tech

Aug 11, 2019
Texas
This greasing of the internal ball itself is extremely DIY in most cases when squeaking. There is a metal coil holding the rubber boot closed and to the housing. Get a hook tool to uncoil and drop the spring a bit, get a good syringe and inject a bunch of grease in there. DO NOT USE WD-40. Sometimes just jacking the car to get the wheels into full range mitigates this squeak for a bit.

If you have to actually have to unscrew the clinch pin, you can work the ball in a rolling circular motion and re screw to the ink mark (don't grease the screw, not sure of torque settings, but re-aligning will usually be tight enough to match the mark point.)

The irritating part is that Tesla SC's are wasting $400 in uber credits, 3 days holding a car on the lot (instead of owners garages) to smear some gloop sealant that takes seconds. They are getting better, but this is stupid levels of inefficiency and time wasted. This should be a drive-up-and-leave event. Toyota used to do the same crap when I was in Prius land.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC