Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Rear Link Build (Reduces rear camber to improve tire wear)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very surprised that openEVSE hasn't sold 1,000's of sets of ULs.

I was very supprised as well, I did not expect to sell 1000s but at least a couple sets a week... I figured folks wouldn't mind spending a few hundres dollars to save a few thousand.

It took almost a year to sell the 18 sets from the first batch and I had to cutting the price to below cost and announce last call to get rid of the last dozen sets.

I was very supprised as well, I did not expect to sell 1000s but at least a couple sets a week... I figured folks wouldn't mind spending a few hundres dollars to save a few thousand.

It took almost a year to sell the 18 sets from the first batch and I had to cutting the price to below cost and announce last call to get rid of the last dozen sets.

Amazed me too. The savings in tire replacement costs alone made it a very good investment.

Chris - I am surprised too. I was sitting on the fence, waiting for my original set of Michelin's to need changing before getting a set, and when I saw the "last call" I purchased a set. They are excellent in quality, and I think it will be something that many will eventually wish they had purchased. Thanks again for a great product.

I think the adjustable links are still available from BBC Speed and Machine, if anyone is still looking. They are located in NJ. Just Google them, great guys! I have a set as does artsci my tire wear is even and the car handles fine.

Might you be able to make a paid in full up front group buy so Chris has no downside risk? You know all those cats over on the lowering link thread with their dumped Ses need 'em just to break 10K miles of tire life.

Along with the others, if there is a design, I know a machinist curious about possibly putting his CNC to use? It is the same proposition, though (not sure of minimum volumes). I don't know that I want to be the one to float 50-100 pairs. BBC, in NJ, doesn't seem to show anything about this type of thing on their website.

I can confirm the upper rear link has an outboard ball joint, on P85D. It looks like a press fit metal sleeve, and pivots as only a ball would. Going with arms w/o press fit joints would probably be a non-starter, from a DIY perspective. We can talk about how machinist work, and press fitting, isn't rocket science, but the truth is most haven't got the access. Another desirable feature, if going to the trouble, is a shim system where the arm comes in halves and could be given the 1/2", or however much people desire (how it's done for aftermarket Porsche). This assumes they aren't just looking to save their tires.

Along with the others, if there is a design, I know a machinist curious about possibly putting his CNC to use? It is the same proposition, though (not sure of minimum volumes). I don't know that I want to be the one to float 50-100 pairs. BBC, in NJ, doesn't seem to show anything about this type of thing on their website.

I can confirm the upper rear link has an outboard ball joint, on P85D. It looks like a press fit metal sleeve, and pivots as only a ball would. Going with arms w/o press fit joints would probably be a non-starter, from a DIY perspective. We can talk about how machinist work, and press fitting, isn't rocket science, but the truth is most haven't got the access. Another desirable feature, if going to the trouble, is a shim system where the arm comes in halves and could be given the 1/2", or however much people desire (how it's done for aftermarket Porsche). This assumes they aren't just looking to save their tires.
BBC makes the adjustable camber link. Search around TMC. Artsci has it on his car.

No word on the CAD file?

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Lola, Please count me in for a set of Camber links! my original PS2 was gone in 9 months with 20k km on them.

I contact BBC speed, but their links cost too much to me (1000 USD + 200 USD core exchange)

The rear cambers are 2.05 degree now with lower links installed at low setting.
1506638_10205879842169062_7450408878101926198_n.jpg

Am I missing something? I don't believe lolachampcar is making these for public consumption. That was a long time ago right? If you go to that 500-something page thread you'll see the last time he was involved with making these arms was more than a year ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.

image.jpg
Ken

You are correct, Chris1howell of OpenEV is the most recent manufacturer of non-adjustable .210" long I -beam high-strength machined ULs.

I am interested in a set as well, however, I need custom length ULs (different L to R) to meet my specific needs as I will be removing my existing set (in use since mid '13) of very long ULs when I switch to staggards here shortly.

Last edited:
IMO, Chris was a bit premature in the development and sales of these arms. The real demand will come as more cars go out of warranty, and used prices fall. There is usually very little aftermarket parts demand for brand new cars.

Adjustable Camber Arm.jpg

This is not for Tesla, but it shows a common method, near the inboard bushed side, providing camber adjustability with metal shims. More than one aftermarket maker does this. Two shims are on ground. One looks like it is installed. ~13mm (nylock) nuts would go on the two studs before driving. It could be a good part of an enduring Tesla solution. Can someone chime in on whether BBC's solution is fixed, @1 degree, or how much it subtracts? The center hole, and right side of the above, is irrelevant for us.

Last edited:
Sorry, was on the road and missed a lot of this.....
I did some links for myself and a few others but passed on doing any more for liability reasons. Chris was kind enough to pick up the ball but there simply appears to be too little demand especially when you consider that the newer outboard ball style link requires a third design (original soft rubber, improved harder rubber and now hard rubber inner and ball style outer). I can not imagine trying to stock all those links when it is hard to sell even the first run.

I agree with the out of warranty point but would also add it is likely the MS crowd is not the suspension DYI'rs ala Porsche and such. The GT3 guys do not even have their first cup of coffee before considering what suspension change to do that day :)

It is a bit of a shame as my cars handle flawlessly with no perceptible change in driving dynamics while not chewing up rears. It's a no brainer until you actually think about the idea of changing out factory designed suspension bits. I'm ok with it but it appears as though most are not.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18