Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Tesla screwed customers who took delivery in the last few months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad points guys. If you read my post you notice that also didn’t complain about buying a few months ago when the price was higher. I’m mainly touching on the effects the largest and number 1 EV company can have on the auto finance industry and the overall market doing such a drastic drop.
This isn’t a problem exclusive to Tesla.

There is countless people that paid markups on conventional cars over the last couple of years that are WAYYY upside down. I see them day in and day out.

Reactions: kaimanson
Honestly I thought I was SOL when I saw these price drops because my payment had already gone through and I was scheduled to take delivery of my car next week. Was very thankful to find that they honored the new reduced price (discount of only $2k but better than nothing). I honestly think the people who have valid complaints are the folks who took delivery in early January (as they got no discount and no December incentives either!). But who knows, maybe they did get something - it was just a week or so of deliveries.

I waited 256 days for my Y which finally arrived in September. Am I sorry that I missed out on the now lower prices? No!
My Y has been perfect and I love it.
Back in 2016 I purchased a curved 55 inch Samsung and paid $1999 for it
A 55 inch similar TV is a fraction of that price today. Should I have waited? No!
I enjoy my TV almost as much as I enjoy driving my 2022 Y
The price was reduced to spur demand and make vehicle purchases eligible for the Inflation reduction act tax credit.
Sorry but September vs December purchasing is very different. You at least got three month of enjoyment out of it before they tanked the price. Is three months worth $15k? Maybe.

Some people literally had next day and no recourse. No company that cares about its customers treat them like that. They made a business decision to burn December and early Jan buyers - that should have consequences. Tesla customers who come back after this treatment basically have Stockholm syndrome.

Your tv analogy makes no sense because the product has changed and evolved over the years. This is literally the same product from November to now. Car dealer rebates are also not as volatile as this to those that mention it. Cars are also not stocks or houses and no one including our government wants this kind of price volatility (yes they want prices to go down but this type of price volatility if it happens industry wide kills spending) so those are poor analogies too before someone brings them up again.

Reactions: Choncho
Sorry but September vs December purchasing is very different. You at least got three month of enjoyment out of it before they tanked the price. Is three months worth $15k? Maybe.

Some people literally had next day and no recourse. No company that cares about its customers treat them like that. They made a business decision to burn December and early Jan buyers - that should have consequences. Tesla customers who come back after this treatment basically have Stockholm syndrome.

Your tv analogy makes no sense because the product has changed and evolved over the years. This is literally the same product from November to now. Car dealer rebates are also not as volatile as this to those that mention it. Cars are also not stocks or houses and no one including our government wants this kind of price volatility (yes they want prices to go down but this type of price volatility if it happens industry wide kills spending) so those are poor analogies too before someone brings them up again.
Lol can’t help but notice All of your arguments are only about what’s best for You. He received No incentive in September and that’s maybe fair To you. You received the December incentive and thats not fair lol. A same model TV sold later at 70% lower cost Is the same TV. Same argument. Again, it doesn’t benefit You so it doesn’t apply of coarse. FYI I feel the same for the others in this thread barking that they only received at near 10k December discount value (incentive, miles, tax) they have NO voice in this discussion nor my sympathy! They added dam near 25 NEW improvements to my model Y After I purchased it in a short time period at the Same cost. Fair, sure I made My decision and that was My choice.

Lol can’t help but notice All of your arguments are only about what’s best for You. He received No incentive in September and that’s maybe fair To you. You received the December incentive and thats not fair lol. A same model TV sold later at 70% lower cost Is the same TV. Same argument. Again, it doesn’t benefit You so it doesn’t apply of coarse. FYI I feel the same for the others in this thread barking that they only received at near 10k December discount value (incentive, miles, tax) they have NO voice in this discussion nor my sympathy! They added dam near 25 NEW improvements to my model Y After I purchased it in a short time period at the Same cost. Fair, sure I made My decision and that was My choice.
That’s because you’re not in the affected class of people so clearly you’re just being heartless.

September was a 2022 model and November was a 2023 model. And time does matter here. As for those improvements, again it shows you bought early so your product and situation is different from mine and the other November or December buyers. If anything Tesla degraded the 2023 product by also removing USS (this risk I accepted because they clearly communicated it) so there is zero goodwill from me because all they’ve done is screw customers on price and replaced real features with promises that they may or may not keep.

If you want to establish a fair cut off? 30 days? That’s a standard return window for most companies to not have this sort of outrage. 60 days if they truly cared about their customers. 14 days if they want to do the absolute minimum. 0 days is how you get everyone to hate you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choncho
I have been waiting for almost 4 years to buy a Tesla (waiting for the wife to be on board and the EV tax credit to be made available). So technically my patience was rewarded with this discount (almost missed it) and if I had bought the car early last year before they warned everyone the prices were going up, I wouldn’t have gotten the tax credit but the price was actually lower than it is now (not counting the tax credit).

Much like the stock market, it sucks to buy high and watch it go low. Trust me I’ve done this a lot.. but the difference is some folks got to enjoy the car for a few months not thinking of the potential for lowered resale value (and not trying to get the tax credit). May be harsh but it’s just how supply/demand goes sometimes.

Hmmm… if people walk away…

Might be time to start watching banks at the used car auctions.
No one is walking away. Upper middle class - high wealth individuals are not going to destroy their credit over a Tesla price reduction.

However market wide, delinquencies and repossessions are rising due to inflation, interest rates, and uncle Joe's recession.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
makws no sense to place a cutoff. Nobody buys a car and expects the msrp to ever drop. Period. In fact it’s the first time it has happened to this degree. You refer to you you you but because I got my car in November don’t think I just say. Oh well that’s fair.

This. It doesn’t matter when you bought the car MSRP doesn’t drop. The dealers provide discounts of 10k or so but they never drop msrp which means the value doesn’t tank for every car with a 10k discount. This is why the values didn’t plummet in Dec 2022 because they were offered a discount not a pure msrp reduction. When musk did that he killed the value overnight.

Someone please show me another manufacturer that has screwed its customers by reducing their msrp by 5k or more overnight?? I’m waiting….

Customers should sue with a class action. At the very least this case could force them to do msrp and be forced to show markups and markdowns like dealers are required to do. Elon musks sliding the rules is the reason teslas move tanked the market. Imagine being a new buyer today, I’d be afraid of another 20% cut or more. We bought a car they slowly depreciate they don’t drop 20k over night. This is not the stock market.

I bought in early 2022 and it suck’s. My car dropped from 56k offered with carvana in nov 2022 to 32k today. No other car has ever done this. I hope a class action starts because I’m signing up. Whether we can get compensated or not for them not having an MSRP or not is the question. If anything it will force change to prevent future customers from being screwed. I for one am done with Tesla forever after this. Screw me once and I’m out for good. I also have their solar panels and now I’d never recommend them as a company again. Skirting rules just to screw customers.

This. It doesn’t matter when you bought the car MSRP doesn’t drop. The dealers provide discounts of 10k or so but they never drop msrp which means the value doesn’t tank for every car with a 10k discount. This is why the values didn’t plummet in Dec 2022 because they were offered a discount not a pure msrp reduction. When musk did that he killed the value overnight.

Someone please show me another manufacturer that has screwed its customers by reducing their msrp by 5k or more overnight?? I’m waiting….

Customers should sue with a class action. At the very least this case could force them to do msrp and be forced to show markups and markdowns like dealers are required to do. Elon musks sliding the rules is the reason teslas move tanked the market. Imagine being a new buyer today, I’d be afraid of another 20% cut or more. We bought a car they slowly depreciate they don’t drop 20k over night. This is not the stock market.

I bought in early 2022 and it suck’s. My car dropped from 56k offered with carvana in nov 2022 to 32k today. No other car has ever done this. I hope a class action starts because I’m signing up. Whether we can get compensated or not for them not having an MSRP or not is the question. If anything it will force change to prevent future customers from being screwed. I for one am done with Tesla forever after this. Screw me once and I’m out for good. I also have their solar panels and now I’d never recommend them as a company again. Skirting rules just to screw customers.
Exactly. That’s the point nobody else seems to grasp.

Reactions: howardnj
makws no sense to place a cutoff. Nobody buys a car and expects the msrp to ever drop. Period. In fact it’s the first time it has happened to this degree. You refer to you you you but because I got my car in November don’t think I just say. Oh well that’s fair.
I hear you on this - I think at the end of the day their business decision is how many people they want pissed off at them. Their underlying assumption is they’ll get more than enough new customers to cover the angry pissed off ones who wouldn’t buy a car for at least two to three years.

Again, the only thing we can do is don’t spend any more money with them after this.

Reactions: Choncho and Gabbman

Say What? Are you saying you always bought your cars pre 2021 at full MSRP? Lol. Those dealers must have Loved seeing you! You do realize MSRP means Suggested retail price right?

how many emergency board meetings were called by legacy execs trying to figure out how they're going to sell their cars at a loss
Tesla most also likely had an emergency meeting cuz on March 1st the battery/mineral requirements kick in and the IRA credit gets complicated, possibly halving it. That gives them a small window to move cars before more Osborning takes hold.

I don't expect a whole lot of ppl to see the tiny window they are dealing with, nor the mad pricing power they had to lop off 18% on average, and strategically price it so most of their lineup will net their customers another 7500k on top the deep price cut.

They could have not done this and just given a rebate...

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Legacy automakers have model years with fixed features and MSRPs. The dealer network allows for an organic mechanism for the market to determine the final price. Supply demand and all of the other usual suspects come to bear on the prices that the consumer eventually pays. Tesla’s products are price fixed with no relation to the market. Tesla is great at engineering but awful at retail; that leads to these types of FUBARs. This is a mark to market move resulting from incompetent corporate governance.
human beings are confused either way-people do not enjoy haggling at the dealership but now you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.