Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Tesla screwed customers who took delivery in the last few months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its the Crazy IRA (forcing Tesla) you should be upset about - and you can use your vote or talk yo your congres rep.
IRA gave Tesla a choice. Make your car affordable, or your buyers don't get the tax break and you don't make your numbers. In hindsight it's genius. This move made EVs more affordable to the masses. We'll all benefit eventually.

IRA gave Tesla a choice. Make your car affordable, or your buyers don't get the tax break and you don't make your numbers. In hindsight it's genius. This move made EVs more affordable to the masses. We'll all benefit eventually.
They could have just discounted their cars by 7500K and called it a day. But they took it a step further and strategically priced their cars so almost all 3/Y will qualify netting customers another 7500K on top of the deep discount. But you know, instead peeps don't acknowledge this and feel cheated instead.

I am so mad about Tesla's price reduction. I picked up delivery on my Model 3 Long Range on November 21, 2022. I didn't get the December rebate from Tesla, and now the price of the same car is 5,000 dollars cheaper than what I bought it for. I have had the car for 53 days. It leaves me with such a sour taste that I will not be promoting Tesla unless they are willing to reimburse recent customers.
Bought my M3LR at the same time. At least we are only down $5k. Model Y buyers in Nov really got hosed.

I suspect the prices will climb back up slowly.
At 30% a $66k car is $20k profit, at $54k they make $8k or 17%. That will not make Wall Street happy and Tesla lives to please Wall Street with their numbers.
These prices are likely short term, most likely to March, after which point they will climb unless the cars remain eligible for the federal rebate, however with likely increased demand due to the price drop their numbers may still look good.
And no matter what the media says about increased competition there isn’t any as the other EV auto makers (legacy or otherwise) don’t have the production capacity to make anything. Add to the fact that the public charging network is, overall, in crisis reliability wise, and there aren’t any viable long range type EVs to buy.
But that reduced margins are going to annoy Wall Street unless Tesla have figured out how to take $10-13k off their recent cost base per vehicle…
Not disagreeing that reduced margins will annoy Wall Street, but compared to legacy auto, the margins will still be significant. In addition, reduced pricing will increase market share while legacy auto struggles to ramp up. I believe Tesla made a very good long term decision

Reactions: VegasMYP
As a new tesla customer I am pissed that Tesla did such a huge price drop. Feel cheated by Tesla...
Just took delivery in early December. This is such a huge change in price. I think it shall be protested by consumers who got screwed overnight..!

People who took delivery in the last few months..! What are your thoughts on this giant price reduction!
9FA44DC7-2D7D-415B-A089-0DCA222B0212.gif

I suspect the prices will climb back up slowly.
At 30% a $66k car is $20k profit, at $54k they make $8k or 17%. That will not make Wall Street happy and Tesla lives to please Wall Street with their numbers.
These prices are likely short term, most likely to March, after which point they will climb unless the cars remain eligible for the federal rebate, however with likely increased demand due to the price drop their numbers may still look good.
And no matter what the media says about increased competition there isn’t any as the other EV auto makers (legacy or otherwise) don’t have the production capacity to make anything. Add to the fact that the public charging network is, overall, in crisis reliability wise, and there aren’t any viable long range type EVs to buy.
But that reduced margins are going to annoy Wall Street unless Tesla have figured out how to take $10-13k off their recent cost base per vehicle…
Tesla is not beholden to Wall Street, it works for the shareholders. Musk could give two shits what WS thinks. Who gives a *sugar* what Wall Street thinks anyhow? To them Tesla just got downgraded to sell at $89, like by Guggenheim. :rolleyes:

Margins will not be impacted much. In 2021 auto margins were heading north of 32%. 2022 dragged margins down due to Austin and Berlin not ramping up yet. They are ramped up now passing 3K a week and headed to 5K a week, further reducing COGS. Most I've seen doing the math see minimal margin impact.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
In the same boat. Took delivery in December 2022 in Canada for CAD $80K (regular price was $85K - $5K December rebate). I was happy at the time to get $5K off, but the new price is now $70K. However, the only paint color included as standard is now white, which I wouldn't want; my choice of Midnight Silver Metallic is now $1,300 extra so the price difference is actually $8,700 (amplified by taxes and loan interest if not paying cash).

I'm not happy about it, but there's nothing to be done. I agreed to pay the asking price at the time - too bad for me. In the end, the car is still the same (which I'm loving) and the price difference, while frustrating, is not life-changing or anything like that.
I’m in the same situation. I ordered last February and took delivery in December. I’ve got mine at lower APR and metalic silver is extra now, so I’m not that far off. I’m just hoping that Tesla offers the free FSD as a compensation LOL

Have people forgot the mission to sustainable energy?

Fools think they are buying a new car as an “investment.” Even if Tesla raised the price, YOU are most likely going to sell at a loss. The dealers lobbied state legislatures to collect sales taxes on us. We aren’t making money on new cars. We aren’t making money for doing nothing.

What were your plans before the price change? Well that is probably your best decision post price change; just enjoy the thing.

I am happy the cars are a better value. I am in this game for our children. Let’s try to give them a planet as good as we got it.

Sure are a lot of post here from people who bought model MYs more than a year ago telling people who bought em in the last few month how they should feel about their bad luck. I was fortunate and bought my vehicle in Jan ‘21, but I can certainly see how someone who bought the car recently would be pissed. Buying a MY in the last year has seemed like Russian roulette; you never know if the price is right, what new features are gonna be added right after you buy, what features will be deleted right before you take delivery, or how long it will really take to get the vehicle. I love my vehicle but as for the company and it leadership; just absolutely incompetent.
Well said - definitely feels like a lot of early buyers telling recent buyers tough luck because they got in at a better price sooner. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone.

Buying a car from Tesla should be as easy and painless as buying an iPhone from Apple - that was the original value prop of the direct to customer model that got twisted into just another way to screw customers on price.

First time posting here, been lurking for a long while... I took delivery on 12/15/22 for a blue Model Y long range 7 seat with tow hitch. I placed that order on 12/9/22 thinking I would be waiting several months, I had a VIN number two days later and decided to move forward due to the $3750 discount they were giving at the time. 5 days later, that discount increased to $7500, I was a little annoyed, but I always suspect some potential for prices to rise and fall so I didn't really give that much of a second though. Buying that same configuration today would amount to over $16,000 dollars in cost savings. I'm not one that swaps out cars every couple years, I've been driving my last car since 2007, so I don't give a crap about resale value. What I do care about is the fact that this is a $16,000 punch in the gut. I've emailed the sales associate that worked with me on my vehicle, asking if they'll give me free self driving, or enhanced autopilot, or even a performance boost upgrade, anything to soften the blow a little but I don't really have high hopes... I really like the vehicle, and I own tesla stock as well and hopes this pans out positive in the long run, but a $16,000 total cost savings had I waited a month really hurts and leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

My cost

I paid 12/15/22

As of 1/13/23

vehicle cost

destination fee

order fee

discount

Total vehicle price

sales tax

total cash price

registration

registration tax

total before tax credit

tax credit

total

difference

Well said - definitely feels like a lot of early buyers telling recent buyers tough luck because they got in at a better price sooner. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone.

Buying a car from Tesla should be as easy and painless as buying an iPhone from Apple - that was the original value prop of the direct to customer model that got twisted into just another way to screw customers on price.

It is easy and painless to buy. You seem to be conflating that with being mad because you paid a price that you were willing to pay and then regretted it.

Have people forgot the mission to sustainable energy?

Fools think they are buying a new car as an “investment.” Even if Tesla raised the price, YOU are most likely going to sell at a loss. The dealers lobbied state legislatures to collect sales taxes on us. We aren’t making money on new cars. We aren’t making money for doing nothing.

What were your plans before the price change? Well that is probably your best decision post price change; just enjoy the thing.

I am happy the cars are a better value. I am in this game for our children. Let’s try to give them a planet as good as we got it.
Don’t kid yourself - the environmental footprint of building an ev is high. You want to save the environment for your children? Buy a well maintained used car, use ridesharing, go live in a dense city and/or ride a bike. Buying an ev just means you’re supporting an open pit lithium mine somewhere vs drilling a hole in a desert. It’s better than buying a new ice car but above options are much lower footprint.

As for cars as an investment, very few people are dumb enough to believe this. However no one feels good about making a large purchase and then overnight feeling like they could have saved $15k if they just waited to an arbitrary day. The car itself is good but this has been a deeply unpleasant experience that I have no plans on going through again. Thankfully the ev space is maturing so there are more alternatives every day.

Last edited:
It is easy and painless to buy. You seem to be conflating that with being mad because you paid a price that you were willing to pay and then regretted it.
If I can’t be assured the price won’t change in 30 days, it’s a pain point and a bad purchasing experience. This is why a lot of retailers offer price matches. Pricing is part of the purchase experience - business 101 buddy.

what price did you pay for your model y? Again, seems like prickish early buyers trolling new buyers with tough luck. Pretty sure if you were in the same situation, you’d be angry too. Otherwise, send Elon a $15k check if you love him so much.

If I can’t be assured the price won’t change in 30 days, it’s a pain point and a bad purchasing experience. This is why a lot of retailers offer price matches. Pricing is part of the purchase experience - business 101 buddy.

what price did you pay for your model y? Again, seems like prickish early buyers trolling new buyers with tough luck. Pretty sure if you were in the same situation, you’d be angry too. Otherwise, send Elon a $15k check if you love him so much.

Price could change in 30 minutes at a dealer that needs to make numbers, or it could change in 3 days because the manufacturer changes its incentives or the government implements a tax credit with price caps. Which automotive "retailers" would do something for you because they sold a car to another buyer at a lower price? Business 101, indeed.

Pretty sure if I was in the same situation I'd be looking in the mirror wondering why I bought at a time when all indicators were pointing at upcoming price drops. There were threads here discussing if it was the worst time to take delivery and what price cuts would come in the new year. Elon is irrelevant, but I'll be sending him less money than you so it appears your love for him is greater.

Reactions: WyoDude
Price could change in 30 minutes at a dealer that needs to make numbers, or it could change in 3 days because the manufacturer changes its incentives or the government implements a tax credit with price caps. Which automotive "retailers" would do something for you because they sold a car to another buyer at a lower price? Business 101, indeed.

Pretty sure if I was in the same situation I'd be looking in the mirror wondering why I bought at a time when all indicators were pointing at upcoming price drops. There were threads here discussing if it was the worst time to take delivery and what price cuts would come in the new year. Elon is irrelevant, but I'll be sending him less money than you so it appears your love for him is greater.
Yup so I was correct - just a condescending troll without anything valuable to say. What’s funny is I think you proved my point that the buying experience is bad - the fact that I have to spend all my time on this forum to gauge pricing and market demand to get optimal pricing to buy a car shows this is terrible. No better than a bad dealership.

And the reason I bought in December is because my existing car was really old and I had a long reservation wait. I wouldn’t be as angry had I got my car in June vs December. You have no idea what anyone’s individual situation is so maybe stop being a prick?

Yup so I was correct - just a condescending troll without anything valuable to say. What’s funny is I think you proved my point that the buying experience is bad - the fact that I have to spend all my time on this forum to gauge pricing and market demand to get optimal pricing to buy a car shows this is terrible. No better than a bad dealership.

And the reason I bought in December is because my existing car was really old and I had a long reservation wait. I wouldn’t be as angry had I got my car in June vs December. You have no idea what anyone’s individual situation is so maybe stop being a prick?

The point was not that you should have read the forum, the point was that others were able to see the writing on the wall. For someone who doesn't want to spend time on the forum though you seem to have spent plenty posting about being mad. That aside, people do tend to research these things which is why on forums for legacy automakers you'd find conversations about invoice/holdback/manufacturer incentives/etc. With Tesla you don't have to figure all that stuff out and then proceed to negotiate with multiple dealers. That's not to say their process isn't without its downsides, but it's no worse than the traditional model.

If you needed a car in December and couldn't wait then why be mad? You had a time sensitive need and you filled it with the best option available at the time. Waiting wasn't an option so what happened after is irrelevant.

Yet to see anyone who paid at post June price increase without discounts say that they don’t care. Am seeing a lot of people who paid lower amounts now mocking and trolling those who paid higher amounts. I wish them the same empathy for them in any financial situations they get left upside down. Too many people comparing being a few thousand dollars they may be down to those who are down 20k or more. No, we don’t plan to sell it. No, GAP insurance won’t cover my ass cause of how much I put down. So unless the prices climb back up 20k by the time I get around to selling it, Tesla screwed us over by being unclear that this was a marked up price. Dealerships at least have the decency to tell you when they are marking stuff up, Tesla just says, hey this is cost and you assume they aren’t going to randomly decide to start selling it for 30% cheaper a few days later.

The point was not that you should have read the forum, the point was that others were able to see the writing on the wall. For someone who doesn't want to spend time on the forum though you seem to have spent plenty posting about being mad. That aside, people do tend to research these things which is why on forums for legacy automakers you'd find conversations about invoice/holdback/manufacturer incentives/etc. With Tesla you don't have to figure all that stuff out and then proceed to negotiate with multiple dealers. That's not to say their process isn't without its downsides, but it's no worse than the traditional model.

If you needed a car in December and couldn't wait then why be mad? You had a time sensitive need and you filled it with the best option available at the time. Waiting wasn't an option so what happened after is irrelevant.
Yeah definitely mad about this and spending way too much time on this forum now, but I'll probably stop soon and move on. Still won't be buying a Tesla ever again though or give them one more cent than necessary.

Re December, yeah I needed a car badly since my old car has some potential mechanical issues that makes it less than ideal for freeway driving. Maybe you're looking at this in a more calm way since you weren't impacted by this but the fact that I had to spend $15k extra to fulfill a personal need vs buying in January is deeply frustrating. $15k is not a trivial amount of money in any way shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.