Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URENT: Advice/Help Needed for Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I just saw the Model S refresh. and I am in a very trick situation.

I have order the inventory car and I am suppose to pick up on 13 April. (tomorrow ) In Toronto.
So I need your advice do I pick up the Old style ( It is 11 K cheaper than new models.)
I know it has new front grill +LED + Air filters. But Driving dynamics remain same.

And when we see the new design on road will I regret that I should have waited 24 Hrs.

I am very confused.Pls Help

Your saving 10% and you have a car now. Have to decide if those items mean that much to you. In three years, I don't personally feel like the resale will be that much different, esp not $11k lower.

The new features aren't enough for me to purchase. Was hoping for new car to be delivered this summer, but I'm still waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: HookBill
Hard to answer for you--are the changes worth $11K plus anything you lose from walking away from the current deal?

I have a 2013 and your point is spot on--outside of acceleration, the differences between driving my car and the P90D loaner I just had was minimal.

You have to ask yourself, how much do you like the new style and features? If you like them $11,000 much, then cancel and order a new one. Otherwise, stick with what you have.

Personally, I like the older style. The new one looks fine too, but the old one is better. If I were you, I'd continue with picking up your car tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure I'm not you, so you'll have to come to your own decision!

Reactions: whitex and mnec
To give you another perspective:

What would you do if this design, LED and HEPA change happened with a regular ICE car, like a Ford, Toyota, Mercedes etc.

Would you buy the old style/last years model or the newer one?

The fact that you are asking these questions doesn't sound like you are happy with not getting the newer.

IDK, it really is a personal choice, expecially if finances are a key part.

Reactions: mnec
Your saving 10% and you have a car now. Have to decide if those items mean that much to you. In three years, I don't personally feel like the resale will be that much different, esp not $11k lower.

The new features aren't enough for me to purchase. Was hoping for new car to be delivered this summer, but I'm still waiting.
Have you order you car?

To give you another perspective:

What would you do if this design, LED and HEPA change happened with a regular ICE car, like a Ford, Toyota, Mercedes etc.

Would you buy the old style/last years model or the newer one?

The fact that you are asking these questions doesn't sound like you are happy with not getting the newer.

IDK, it really is a personal choice, expecially if finances are a key part.

I am in the same boat. I am supposed to pick up my inventory car tomorrow. The difference is I wouldn't have been blindsided by my ICE car's model refresh because that is clearly telegraphed by the manufacturer to exactly avoid this type of situation. I get that Tesla updates 20 parts a week, but a little "heads-up" a week ago when purchasing my inventory car would have been nice. Caveat emptor I suppose. I actually don't think the changes were that significant compared to what they could have been, and I am inclined to lick my wounds and take order of my now "classic" brand new car tomorrow. And yes I will be bummed out when I park my two week old car next to the new model.

I am in the same boat. I am supposed to pick up my inventory car tomorrow. The difference is I wouldn't have been blindsided by my ICE car's model refresh because that is clearly telegraphed by the manufacturer to exactly avoid this type of situation. I get that Tesla updates 20 parts a week, but a little "heads-up" a week ago when purchasing my inventory car would have been nice. Caveat emptor I suppose. I actually don't think the changes were that significant compared to what they could have been, and I am inclined to lick my wounds and take order of my now "classic" brand new car tomorrow. And yes I will be bummed out when I park my two week old car next to the new model.
Glad here somebody is in same boat but I appreciate your thoughts . I am in touch with the guys at Tesla store and my delivery advisor will get back to me soon.

For what it's worth, after vacillating for months on end regarding purchasing a new S (no easy task for me) in light of AP and dual motor/general improvements, I'm finally pulling the trigger. This is finally a great time (for me) to buy the new S since it likely won't see any other major revisions for some time (possibly just a 100kWh battery pack this summer, but I'm not going top of the lime anyway).

From a personal opinion, I always hated the cone and have waited years for them to change it. If I'm going to pay 10's of thousands for a car, I might as well pay for one I like the look of and is new.

I wouldn't pay the cost of an expensive new car for something that is an older version, especially if I have the choice to get the new one. Not many have that choice.

Take the inventory car and do something else with the 11 grand...my suggestions:
..TSLA stock...$11k worth of stereo upgrades...a week for the family on St. John...monthly detailing...kids college fund...a few cases of outstanding wine and open a bottle each time you see a newer Tesla drive by and feel a little sorry for your self. Or make a charitable donation and turn that regret into satisfaction.

Same care otherwise? Save the $11,000! That's a no brainer. Remember, in a few weeks the emotion will be gone, you'll have a fantastic car, and $11,000 saved for its replacement. Remember, after your first rock chip, the latest S will loose some luster. Besides, I like the old nosecone look. LED headlights are great, but not worth $11,000. I'll eventually get them on the AP 2.0 replacement.