Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be that this version of the MY RWD was another one of those short lived then discontinued trims. Given that it is basically a MY LR minus a motor makes it seem like a rushed limited release kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come back until they can lower their costs with a smaller battery and maybe some more cost reductions like the M3 RWD.

Interestingly, while the MY RWD is completely gone from inventory, the custom order option is still up.

I would not jump to this conclusion so hastily. There’s zero reason why the 2023 RWD wouldn’t qualify.
I would say it is almost confirmed that 2023 MY RWD no longer qualifies tax credit in 2024. You can check the fueleconomy.gov website. 2023 MY RWD is in the tax credit eligible list for vehicles placed in service before December 31 2023. But in the latest list published on December 30 for vehicles placed in service after January 1st, 2024, 2023 MY RWD is no longer there while 2023 MY LR is still listed. Only 2024 MY RWD is listed.

This actually tells us that 23 MY RWD used a different battery pack from the LR MY. It is very likely to be the same LG battery pack (78KWH?) used on M3 LR as a lot of folks here have already suspected.

I guess the 2024 MY RWD will come with a Panasonic battery pack that qualifies for the tax credit. As Panasonic battery packs are likely more expensive, Tesla probably will come up with a smaller size battery that can only charge at 170KW peak rate. I saw 2023 MY RWD can charge at ~230KW when SOC is about 10%.

Last edited:
If it uses the same pack as the Model 3 LR that is the reason it wouldn't qualify. (Pack contains components from China.)
It hadn't occurred to me that it might be using that pack but yes, that seems plausible and would make a lot of sense based on observations in this thread.

I would say it is almost confirmed that 2023 MY RWD no longer qualifies tax credit in 2024. You can check the fueleconomy.gov website. 2023 MY RWD is in the tax credit eligible list for vehicles placed in service before December 31 2023.
I was confused by what you were saying, my apologies. I thought you were saying it was being removed from eligibility for the 2023 credit.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just picked up my MY RWD today. It has been already established that it does not have the LFP battery pack, but there was some speculation on whether it was a soft limited LR battery or a new smaller capacity NCA battery. From what I am seeing, I'm pretty sure that it is the Long Range battery software limited down to 260 rated miles.

At the supercharger at 99% charge it was still charging at a 35kW rate. As we know, a battery actually charged to 99% would be charging slowly, not anywhere near 35kW. Also, at 100% charge, there is no limited regen warning, indicating that the battery can absorb the full regen charge.

View attachment 999485

Charge rates that I managed to note: (battery was only preconditioned for about 10 minutes in 30F temps, so it can probably do better)
80% - 53kW
85% - 51kW
90% - 45kW
97% - 37kW
99% - 35kW

For MY RWD owners this is awesome news. When charged to a displayed 100%, the actual battery is around 80%. This means 100% of the range can be used without concern about battery degradation just like the LFP battery in the M3 RWD. And better than a LFP pack, you can charge quickly to 100% when Supercharging. Really, the RWD is almost as good as the LR in practical range since one will not often charge above 80% in the LR.

Some other data points:
  • The MY RWD weighs 4,154lbs and the MY LR weighs 4,416lbs, a difference of 262lbs. The front motor unit alone weighs over 200lbs, so you would expect a greater weight difference if the physical battery was smaller.
  • The Shanghai LFP MY RWD weighs 3,920lbs. With a similar battery capacity, you would expect the NCA MY RWD to weigh signicantly less than this, since LFP is less energy dense.

• I was disappointed to find out the RWDs were not LFP, but this would be second best.

Just picked up my MY RWD today. It has been already established that it does not have the LFP battery pack, but there was some speculation on whether it was a soft limited LR battery or a new smaller capacity NCA battery. From what I am seeing, I'm pretty sure that it is the Long Range battery software limited down to 260 rated miles.

At the supercharger at 99% charge it was still charging at a 35kW rate. As we know, a battery actually charged to 99% would be charging slowly, not anywhere near 35kW. Also, at 100% charge, there is no limited regen warning, indicating that the battery can absorb the full regen charge.

View attachment 999485

Charge rates that I managed to note: (battery was only preconditioned for about 10 minutes in 30F temps, so it can probably do better)
80% - 53kW
85% - 51kW
90% - 45kW
97% - 37kW
99% - 35kW

For MY RWD owners this is awesome news. When charged to a displayed 100%, the actual battery is around 80%. This means 100% of the range can be used without concern about battery degradation just like the LFP battery in the M3 RWD. And better than a LFP pack, you can charge quickly to 100% when Supercharging. Really, the RWD is almost as good as the LR in practical range since one will not often charge above 80% in the LR.

Some other data points:
  • The MY RWD weighs 4,154lbs and the MY LR weighs 4,416lbs, a difference of 262lbs. The front motor unit alone weighs over 200lbs, so you would expect a greater weight difference if the physical battery was smaller.
  • The Shanghai LFP MY RWD weighs 3,920lbs. With a similar battery capacity, you would expect the NCA MY RWD to weigh signicantly less than this, since LFP is less energy dense.
This would be great news! Anecdotally, I was supercharging our new Y the other day and was surprised it was still pulling hard at 85%.

This would address my wife’s strong dissatisfaction with having to live with ~ 206 miles of max daily range as It would be similar to my former i3. It had a large buffer and a great thermal mgmt system and it never lost a mile of its precious 60 mile range while I owned it.

We won’t go crazy yet with max charging, but I’m sure you guys will collect more data and let us know how this plays out!

My guess is that Tesla had more LR M3 packs in stock than they could sell before the tax credits changed so to get more out there they came up with the MY SR. The extra margin on the MY made up for the lesser margin from software locking. $44k vs $46k.

If the 2024 version qualifies, it has to be using panasonic 2170 Reno LR batteries software locked as well or they are going back to the old SR 2170 battery from 2020 but with better cell energy density to go from 240 miles to 260. 55kwh to 60kwh.

Bit of a shame, having known this I would’ve rushed to get a 2023 Y RWD. Oh well
Yeah, a daily range of 206 is ok, but a comfortable 100% (indicated) charge to 260 miles with very low degradation will be great. Not that we need it at all, but it will be great anyway to never seriously have to think about range vs degradation. (We’ll probably still keep it around 60% (indicated) on a daily basis to maximize battery life.).

More good news for RWD owners. The charge rate is not limited to 170kW. I saw 215kW at a 20% SOC. Here are the charge rates from my SC session today from 20% to 80%

20% - 215kW
30% - 177kW
40% - 148kW
50% - 120kW
60% - 98kW
70% - 80kW
80% - 71kW

The LR can only manage 250kW for a brief moment near 10% SOC and the rest of the LR charge curve is similar to the above, so I expect the RWD will also be able to pull down 250kW at a lower SOC.

However, even if the charging was limited to 170kW, it doesn't matter much. A rate greater than that can only be sustained for such a brief time, it doesn't make much difference in the charging time.
Dude, you are like Santa Claus!

It's probably gone from Inventory because they sold them all, and therefore there is no option to search for one. The website indicates that all models of the MY are eligible for the $7500 credit. This would seem to indicate that the MY doesn't use a non-M3P version of the battery pack, since the M3P is the only M3 that qualifies for 2024.