Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is true. The big question here is why Tesla does it this way. The LR battery is bigger, heavier and more expensive. There is no real reason to do it this way in theory, unless they are short on batteries or only makes one type of battery, but we all know this is not the case.

Not sure this is true. The big question here is why Tesla does it this way. The LR battery is bigger, heavier and more expensive. There is no real reason to do it this way in theory, unless they are short on batteries or only makes one type of battery, but we all know this is not the case.
Most likely they weren't setup to make the smaller pack with Panasonic 2170 cells, so they software locked imported LR packs for 2023 Model Y RWDs. Fo 2024 Model Y RWDs they probably have the new line for smaller packs up and running.

Reactions: RVAC
Most likely they weren't setup to make the smaller pack with Panasonic 2170 cells, so they software locked imported LR packs for 2023 Model Y RWDs. Fo 2024 Model Y RWDs they probably have the new line for smaller packs up and running.

Yeah, they also can't use imported LG packs for 2024 Model Y even if they wanted because of the "Foreign Entity of Concern" restriction which would disqualify them from the EV credit.

2024 MY RWD has a 66.5kwh battery per published EPA report. Unless someone tests the delivered car and says otherwise, this still holds true for now. I have not seen anything being said by a 2024 MY RWD owner here in this forum yet. I guess the 2024 MY RWD is really not selling well.
I Have a 2024 MY RWD (BYD battery) for a month now and just a few nights ago i charged from 51% to 100% and i consumed 32kWh according to my electricity provider, i would say it's about 65kWh but i can't do more than 53kWh with a full battery driving only consumption, the remaining 12Kwh are being used by the various car systems of the car i suppose.

I Have a 2024 MY RWD (BYD battery) for a month now and just a few nights ago i charged from 51% to 100% and i consumed 32kWh according to my electricity provider, i would say it's about 65kWh but i can't do more than 53kWh with a full battery driving only consumption, the remaining 12Kwh are being used by the various car systems of the car i suppose.
There’s always about 10-12% losses between the electric meter in the wall and the battery.

The difference between the charged energy in the EPA test and the delivered energy is always around 12% or more in the Teslas.

You can se that difference for the WLTP test in the CoC papers. Use the consumption given and multiply with the range given. It will be ~12% higher than the real capacity.

The BYD batt is about 60 kWh right? I do not remember the exact value.
The capacity between 0-100% displayed SOC is at max 95.5% of the total (the buffer can vary on LFP cars and reduce the capacity between 0-100% displayed)

So 100% is about 0.955 x 60 = 57.3 kWh.
49% is 28kWh.

28 kWh / 0.88 (for charging losses) = 31.9kWh

So it all matches perfectly.

Reactions: karlos22
So, this means the currently-shipping 2024 RWD vehicles are not soft-limited in their batteries, but have the stated 260-mile capacity – and the earlier discussion on this thread was a temporary anomaly due to a cutover in manufacturing processes... Is that correct?

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
So, this means the currently-shipping 2024 RWD vehicles are not soft-limited in their batteries, but have the stated 260-mile capacity – and the earlier discussion on this thread was a temporary anomaly due to a cutover in manufacturing processes... Is that correct?
That is how it looks…in order to get the RWD out the door in 2023, they simply deleted the front motor from the LR and didn’t bother to revise the specs to indicate that. Then for 2024 they delivered the car they prob intended to deliver all along. I suppose at the end of 2023 they were also trying to figure something useful to do with a bunch of LR battery packs that wouldn’t be eligible for the Fed tax rebate once the calendar turned. I’m quite satisfied with my 2023 RWD; the energy app always indicates I’ve quite a bit more range than the EPA rating of 260. The audio system is pretty good too…I’d just like access to the source code for the car’s infotainment so I could enable the fog light switch in my car…I’d just uncomment where they commented out that function for the RWD since the actual lights are installed I just can’t turn them on :)

• Funny
Reactions: karlos22 and jsight
US 2024 models are still on delivery hold so it remains to be seen what the battery situation is. European RWD have a different battery.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
That is how it looks…in order to get the RWD out the door in 2023, they simply deleted the front motor from the LR and didn’t bother to revise the specs to indicate that. Then for 2024 they delivered the car they prob intended to deliver all along. I suppose at the end of 2023 they were also trying to figure something useful to do with a bunch of LR battery packs that wouldn’t be eligible for the Fed tax rebate once the calendar turned. I’m quite satisfied with my 2023 RWD; the energy app always indicates I’ve quite a bit more range than the EPA rating of 260. The audio system is pretty good too…I’d just like access to the source code for the car’s infotainment so I could enable the fog light switch in my car…I’d just uncomment where they commented out that function for the RWD since the actual lights are installed I just can’t turn them on :)
Is the actual capacity for 2024 RWD 60 kWh?

I am first time Tesla owner, got the Model RWD last December and I amvery pleased with daily driving. so we went on a road trip and I thought this would be the best opportunity to test its highway range. I observed a significant gap between the actual and advertised range. It took 85% to 20% charge to cover 128 miles so, with 100% it will be somewhere close to 200? 😩 Throughout my 700-mile road trip using FSD for 80% of the time, the range consistently fell short, averaging around 330 wh/m according to the energy app. I am always in the speed limit (70mph) and climate only used around 2%. Has anyone else experienced this with their RWD?

On a positive note, the charging speeds were impressive, reaching 240 kW for a brief moment.

I am first time Tesla owner, got the Model RWD last December and I amvery pleased with daily driving. so we went on a road trip and I thought this would be the best opportunity to test its highway range. I observed a significant gap between the actual and advertised range. It took 85% to 20% charge to cover 128 miles so, with 100% it will be somewhere close to 200? 😩 Throughout my 700-mile road trip using FSD for 80% of the time, the range consistently fell short, averaging around 330 wh/m according to the energy app. I am always in the speed limit (70mph) and climate only used around 2%. Has anyone else experienced this with their RWD?

On a positive note, the charging speeds were impressive, reaching 240 kW for a brief moment.
At 330 Wh/m, your range would be 212 miles (70/.330). What were the conditions outside?