Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA Supercharger V4, Where? Why not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who is seeing V4 superchargers? where? I am seeing brand new V3s being installed....why? Are they having dev problems with SCV4 or cost too high?
V4 stalls are being installed, especially for NEVI (e.g. Rockland, ME), but no V4 cabinets yet. I suspect they'll use V4 for NEVI sites and continue to improve the V4 stalls until they have 1000V available and then can go full tilt.

Reactions: kpanda17
“Most Supercharger cables at [Tesla] NACS Supercharger sites should be able to reach your EV charge port; however, in some cases, you might have to park over the line in order to charge comfortably,” said Tesla.

Ford F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E drivers can order adapters now.

Rivian, General Motors, Volvo, and Polestar owners will gain access to Tesla’s NACS Supercharger in March.

How many V4 installs are actually in service now, and how many are actually in construction phase?

1709311962936.png

i can see a future with high utilization of V3s by the 800v BEVs complaining and saying, Tesla Superchargers are out of date, we need V4
a blame game

same question, why are we not seeing V4s and then why not v4s with v4 backend for true 350kw charging?

i can see a future with high utilization of V3s by the 800v BEVs complaining and saying, Tesla Superchargers are out of date, we need V4
a blame game

same question, why are we not seeing V4s and then why not v4s with v4 backend for true 350kw charging?

800V cars will only use V3 when they don't need the speed, when it's better than the alternative of waiting for a faster charger or where the alternative older, lower power chargers.
NEVI and other installations are going to add a _lot_ of charging locations in the next few years, so they shouldn't have to use V3 much.

You're not seeing V4 because it's new and because currently the major deadlines relate to NEVI and serving non-Tesla, so Tesla isn't in a rush.

Of Tesla vehicles, only the Cybertruck benefits from 1000V charging and that's produced in small numbers at the moment.

800V cars will only use V3 when they don't need the speed, when it's better than the alternative of waiting for a faster charger or where the alternative older, lower power chargers.
NEVI and other installations are going to add a _lot_ of charging locations in the next few years, so they shouldn't have to use V3 much.

You're not seeing V4 because it's new and because currently the major deadlines relate to NEVI and serving non-Tesla, so Tesla isn't in a rush.

Of Tesla vehicles, only the Cybertruck benefits from 1000V charging and that's produced in small numbers at the moment.
Thanks for clarifying

not seeing V4 because it's new and because currently the major deadlines relate to NEVI and serving non-Tesla, so Tesla isn't in a rush.

Because of NEVI. And the distribution of adapters to Ford and all the other legacy carmakers one would think think that Tesla would be pushing out V4’s which would better accommodate non Tesla’s so they don’t have to park wonky

I have to wonder. Since all the V4's I've heard about so far are actually just V4 stalls on V3 infrastructure, I don't understand why V4's haven't been the only stalls installed for the past year? It makes little to no sense.

Certainly if NEVI funding is involved you get V4 stalls simply to provide CCS adapters. But we're already having cable length issues just with Cybertrucks.

Here in Arizona we have exactly one V4 SC site in the state. But we have a 1-year-old site in Phoenix (Mesa) that has had all the V3 stalls pulled out several weeks ago with V4's going in. This retrofit is extremely unusual. I've never heard of another V3 station being upgraded to V4, especially one that opened so very recently. It's not a NEVI site. One reason it is unusual is the length of time it has been done. Seems to be some rewiring going on. Could it be that we get the first V4 stalls with V4 infrastructure? (800v charging capability).

Reactions: ahardfsu
I have to wonder. Since all the V4's I've heard about so far are actually just V4 stalls on V3 infrastructure, I don't understand why V4's haven't been the only stalls installed for the past year? It makes little to no sense.

Certainly if NEVI funding is involved you get V4 stalls simply to provide CCS adapters. But we're already having cable length issues just with Cybertrucks.

Here in Arizona we have exactly one V4 SC site in the state. But we have a 1-year-old site in Phoenix (Mesa) that has had all the V3 stalls pulled out several weeks ago with V4's going in. This retrofit is extremely unusual. I've never heard of another V3 station being upgraded to V4, especially one that opened so very recently. It's not a NEVI site. One reason it is unusual is the length of time it has been done. Seems to be some rewiring going on. Could it be that we get the first V4 stalls with V4 infrastructure? (800v charging capability).
V3s are cheaper. They're also better for Teslas with thinner, lighter cables. They have been adjusting V3s and building V3s with V4 stall replacement in mind though.

Reactions: Acps110
Is there any site world wide that has v4 dispensers and v4 chargers? I have only seen v4 dispensers with v3 chargers so right now v4 only helps the car brands that do not place the charge port at the rear drivers side or the front passenger side. Not only are v4 dispensers taller and have a longer cable but I have seen them placed more to the center of the parking spot.

Is there any site world wide that has v4 dispensers and v4 chargers? I have only seen v4 dispensers with v3 chargers so right now v4 only helps the car brands that do not place the charge port at the rear drivers side or the front passenger side. Not only are v4 dispensers taller and have a longer cable but I have seen them placed more to the center of the parking spot.
No, it's just v3.5 chargers. I think new V3 installations have the V3 pedestal centered so they can be swapped out with V4 pedestals later.

Take a look at https://www.tesla.com/supercharger scroll to second page and select Find Us.

1714054823602.png

Thanks but I am aware of this site but I see no way to filter by version. I also doubt Tesla will give detail info like if the site has a v4 dispenser and differentiate if the site has v3 chargers behind the v4 dispensers.
You have to read in-between the lines.

See the option that I have checked? That's the chargers with connectors for other vehicles.
Superchargers open to NACS tend to be V3
Just Superchargers tend to be V2.

You can confirm each one just by clicking on the station and seeing the options.