TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB-C Quick Connection Phone Dock

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Nerdy_Engineer, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

Has anyone found a good USB-C cable to use with the Quick Connection Phone Dock? I'm getting a new phone soon, and it is going to have USB-C. I know Tesla still doesn't offer their own USB-C cable for the phone dock, but I'm hoping that there's a decent aftermarket cable I can use with it.

• Like x 2
  2. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

3. Nerdy_Engineer

@Airhawker , How did you get this cable to work with the dock? I thought the dock required a cable with a 90 degree bend on the end?

4. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

You need a micro to C connector as then widen the hole yourself. I can show you pictures

• Informative x 2
  5. mspisars

mspisars Member

please post pics here :)

6. supratachophobia

So you'll basically want it to look like this. Notice that the elbow is well below the top of the mount. This is because the adapter is in place (also pictured below). You may need to dremel the hole slightly bigger to get the adapter to slide up in there. Then use a tiny dab of hot glue if it's not a tight fit.

IMG_20160702_161119.jpg download (1).jpg

Here is the same idea adjusting the height of the plug using an iPhone cable. Same exact idea. It helps to take out the mount insert, put the cable through, plug the phone (with case) in and let it rest on the mount. Then adjust the height so it just right before you hot glue it in place. CenterConsoleCellPhoneMount.png

• Helpful x 1
  7. jonman

jonman Member

I am working on the same project but to allow me to keep an OtterBox case on my iPhone. I don't have the 7+ yet but with my 6 and current Tesla phone dock, the connection was just too short.

Not sure if everyone has a case or not but raising the plug a bit should let you do this and still prevent your phone from leaning left or right.

Maybe make a mark on the plug to show how high you need it to be so the phone and case rest evenly on the mount.

8. Nerdy_Engineer

@supratachophobia , Thanks for posting the pics! They're very helpful. I'll give it a try when I get my new phone.

9. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

Mine works perfectly without any glue.

10. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

Do you have pics of what you did and what cable you used with no glue?

11. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

I'm not going to remove both screws to show you the underside, but here is the final look (although I snapped a couple of the plastic pieces to keep in flat under the rubber, it still sits nicely) using the cable purchased on Amazon (linked above). Good luck!

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 3
  12. supratachophobia

Whoa whoa, don't go overboard with the picture quality there..... potato cam.

13. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

joking, @supratachophobia, right? ;-)

No need for glue for this cord as the connector is small enough to use the existing hardware.

• Like x 1
  14. supratachophobia

Funny story, I was on a half-bar of wifi and your picture pre-loaded at, like, 25x25 pixel resolution.

15. Leshrac

Leshrac New Member

I wanted fast charging for my phone, so after a lot of searching around I finally found this USB-C to USB-C connector with two right-angled connectors: Angled USB Type-C to Angled USB Type-C Cable (50cm, Right Angle, 90-deg, USB 3.1 / USB-C) : USBFever.com - the accessory shop for all your handheld Electronics!

I'm using it in combination with this charger to get full quick charging speeds: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014F2NQ36

I had to use a Dremel on one of the connectors to resize it, but that turned out to be pretty easy and it's working quite well. Granted it's not quite as clean as the OEM cables, but the quick charging is worth it.
    IMG_20161009_102929.jpg IMG_20161009_102954.jpg

• Helpful x 3
  16. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

17. Nerdy_Engineer

I put together a short video showing how to modify your Quick Connection Dock to use USB-C. Thanks to everyone on this thread that shared their tips. Hopefully this video is able to help more people. I'm not sure why Tesla still doesn't offer a USB-C option.

• Like x 1
  18. supratachophobia

Because Elon uses an iPhone. And thank you for the video, top notch.