Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB corruption for dashcam recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Restarting this thread. TeslaCam / Dashcam is corrupting all of my SD cards (USB >> microSD). This includes Samsung EVO cards, Sandisk Extreme and PNY cards. After reformatting the cards, it may recognize the card and start working for a few minutes.... The longest I have driven is 5 minutes before the camera / grey x icon appears and the card is trashed.

Model 3
Running firmware 2019.5.15

Restarting this thread. TeslaCam / Dashcam is corrupting all of my SD cards (USB >> microSD). This includes Samsung EVO cards, Sandisk Extreme and PNY cards. After reformatting the cards, it may recognize the card and start working for a few minutes.... The longest I have driven is 5 minutes before the camera / grey x icon appears and the card is trashed.

Model 3

2019.5.15 here and no issues with 2 different USB flash drives. Windows 10 gives error message and recommends repair, which takes less than 5 seconds. Usually the last 3 files are not readable or 0 size, but all other files are good. I suspect it is downloading last files when I stop the recorder to remove.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515

Model 3
Have you tried different USB / SD card adapters? Perhaps what you have isn't keeping up. There'll be theoretically 200% more writes occurring now with the additional two cameras, so perhaps the SD adapter itself is the holdup. Especially if those cards are rated for sustained writes that should keep up.

I had to reformat my USB drive initially but afterwards it's worked fine since, but I've never tried using SD cards in USB adapters. My USB drive is a USB3.0 drive with much higher claimed performance than necessary, and even though the car only is going to use it at USB 2.0 speeds, it seemed a good way to ensure that the device itself would keep up (if it's rated for USB3.0 speeds, it should be more than fast enough).

Model 3

Recording is also failing with the dreaded grey ex. I too thought it was corruption, but in my case it's just the drive was full. I guess the cam software is no longer cleaning up? And it's recording random video at 1:30am. In fact, that's what filled the drive. It's like one night it decided to capture video at dark:30 and keep it forever.

New behavior with 2019.5.15 i believe.

Recording is also failing with the dreaded grey ex. I too thought it was corruption, but in my case it's just the drive was full. I guess the cam software is no longer cleaning up? And it's recording random video at 1:30am. In fact, that's what filled the drive. It's like one night it decided to capture video at dark:30 and keep it forever.

New behavior with 2019.5.15 i believe.

Dashcam records a rolling 1 hour buffer that overwrites itself. That hasn't changed- but it's using 3 cameras now so takes ~5.4GB instead of 1.8GB- only time dashcam saves files permanently is if you tell it to by hitting the cam button.

Sentry mode saves the previous 10 minutes that does not get overwritten every time it alerts.

Dumb question here I bought a Sandisk 128gb micro SD for video forget which one, was reccomended on a dashcam forum and am using a USB adapter.

Any recommendations for micro sa to USB adapters that you have used and work?

I was going to use a thumb drive but figure cards for video would be the way to go

Thanks

I highly recommend you guys switch over to SSD. The prices are so low, it's worth it.

120gb SSD $19.99 - Amazon Link

USB Adapter $8.99 - Amazon Link
My only complaint is taking up more space in the center console.

I am hoping that eventually someone figures out a way to slap a USB hub behind / inside the console before the built in hub, and then we can shove hardware in there out of sight.

My only complaint is taking up more space in the center console.

I am hoping that eventually someone figures out a way to slap a USB hub behind / inside the console before the built in hub, and then we can shove hardware in there out of sight.
I1Tesla has a video of him trying just that. The connection on the other side of the USB ports isn’t a standard one. Tesla separated the power and data lines. He hid everything in the space up front and to the sides, but the usb cords go through the left over holes from moving the stock board.

maybe we need to come up with a list of which USB flash drives work and which dont. Also has anyone been able to use a USB splitter to charge 2 iPhones + USB for music and dashcam sucessfully? I bought a splitter but it doesn't seem to recognize the flash drive if i use it. Or if tesla can come up with a acceptable device list (similar to motherboards and ram) or just sell a drive that works onlne.

Lexar 32GB - corrupted files / X on dashcam with every update and sometimes in between

Any recommendations for micro sa to USB adapters that you have used and work?

It's only been a week (just got my car last Saturday), but given someone else here recommended it ~ a month ago I have been using the Rocketek: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTQZS4F with a Samsung Pro endurance 64G card.

Given the x issues from either corruption or full drives from Sentry, I bought a second endurance card and a different reader (in case of failure) to swap out when necessary: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY3B3DQ. This one also connects to my phone for viewing in the car. Last night when pulling out of the driveway, I noticed the grey x and so swapped reader/card. Once back home I found my first card was full of boring sentry videos :) My work is next to a freeway with ongoing construction, and I think the loud banging sets it off all day long.

Given the SSD price (thanks buste2!), I think I'm going to get the 480G version to store my FLAC library. Since I already have the endurance cards, probably just leave TeslaCam on those.

Given the x issues from either corruption or full drives from Sentry, I bought a second endurance card and a different reader (in case of failure) to swap out when necessary
This is definitely a good idea. Everytime I check the filesystem in a computer (e.g. using fsck_msdos on Mac or Linux) I notice that TeslaCam/Sentry still causes lost clusters and other corruptions, even if it seems to work in the car. Eventually it'll probably fail. It's probably also a good idea to reformat every once in a while.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY3B3DQ. This one also connects to my phone for viewing in the car.
I'm currently using this one. Works well and seems very robust (metal):

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-FCR-ML3C-MobileLite-microSDHC-microSDXC/dp/B07416LQVM

For a USB-A /USB-C card reader (MicroSD, SD) I’m using this from UGreen. Lots of nice features and aluminum. Using with my MacBook Pro with USB-C connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Adapter-Portable-Windows/dp/B07D1J88CF

Same basic price as the Kingston with more features. Plus you can apply the 5% coupon to it before you order for a bit more of a discount. Video files load fast on my computer. I ordered 2 to switch off.

I'm sure it's a matter of preference but the extra length of it kind of makes it easy to spot when I have it out of the car and it's on a table or on the bed with my laptop. Both ends come with a cap. No problems with the length when plugged into the car. It's only 3 inches long and less than 1 inch wide so just over an inch longer than the Kingston one. Doesn't interfere with the phone charging tray when lowered into place. The fact it is a bit longer makes it easier for me to reach in to retrieve it or plug into TeslaCam. I don't have particularly long arms and darn if there's no lighting back in that area making it harder to see inside there at night so it's kind of easier to find and unplug.

The reader fits easily in the palm of my hand with room to spare. It's super lightweight, aluminum, and fits securely in the USB connector on the car or my laptop; the length doesn't weigh it down or put any pressure on the connector. I like the addition of the lanyard. The microSD card is close to the device body and keeps it locked in place unless you press the edge with your fingernail to eject. Touching the microSD card or squeezing the reader with microSD card installed won't release it unintentionally. I prefer the location of the cards on the side of the reader, but that's just me as I can just easily switch out microSD cards if the reader is plugged into my MacBook Pro. As a Mac user glad to know that UGreen's device is Apple MFi certified. The device will support capacity up to 512GB. Their marketing material says it has overcurrent, overvoltage and short-circuit protection. Not sure how fast the chipset is in the Kingston one but my video loads really fast and plays immediately on my computer. At halloween time I have a few projectors I like to use that take either a USB drive or an SD card so the fact I have that flexibility with the UGreen reader is another plus.

Nice quality lobster claw clasp for attaching to key card or inside purse zipper. Reader shown with microSD card locked in place.

lanyard - 1.jpg

Last edited: