Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB, Music Files, Best way to transfer from iTunes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for the audio group, I have my CDs on a flashdrive and when it is loaded to the media the album art comes up. Sometimes it is the full size of the square on the display and sometimes it is a 1/4 of the size. Anyone know why and can that be changed to always be full size.

Newer albums (albums acquired in the global cloud libraries), typically have larger album art, while older ones have smaller album art. Has more to do with the advancement of installed consumer technology base (ever increasing screen res, etc), and consumer demand for it now.

I've often searched out better album art for this reason (a lot of it found on Amazon). However, at present, keep in mind the car isn't necessarily using your album art, but is pulling from the cloud, on the fly.

So even if I have downloaded the album art from iTunes when ripping the cd, the art may come from somewhere else. What I do not understand is that it seems to change, when I first plugged in my flashdrive the art on some albums was large and then the next time I play the same album it is small. I thought the car has no storage cabability, so where can it pull the album art from.

So just rebooted the system to remove the firmware update that has been delayed and low and behold the album art is now full size!!!

That's how mine works. It gets smaller each time a particular song plays and then goes to full size if you reboot the 17" display. Interestingly that also makes the artwork full size in the small display.

The artwork comes from the Internet, not from the files on your drive. Why it works that way is a mystery because some the the artwork choices are distinctly odd.

Reactions: Galve2000
You can get more information from these methods:
Method 1: Using iTunes
1. Connect your iphone on computer.
2. Open up the iTunes, and synchronize iTunes with iPhone.
3. Transfer music from iphone to iTunes, then to computer.
Method 2: Using iCloud
1. Set up icloud both on iphone and computer.
2. Sign in the icloud with the Apple ID
3. Start to sync iphone data to icloud.

Was very intimidated by all the posts re: iTunes to Tesla.
Bought a 64G Sandisk UltraFit USB 3.o flashdrive - size of a dime, very low profile - sticks out millimeters from the USB port.
Has the Memory of 128,000 of my first Mac Computer. I guess technology came a long way while I was in grad school.
Popped it in my computer dragged my iTunes library over, waited 21 minutes for it to copy, popped it in my Tesla, and presto - no problems.
Beautiful sound.
I do have iTunes Match, but have never done anything special with it.
Anyway, all worked beautifully. Only took me a little over 2 1/2 years to take the time to do it - oops.
Will report any problems, but so far, very nice.
First song: Michael Hedges, Aerial Boundaries. Recommended!

HI, I just completed converting all my music to (FLAC) in anticipation of my Model 3.
QUESTION- When using the FLASHDRIVE - Will the Music on the model 3 Touchscreen display in the FOLDERS that I have
my Music in, on the flashdrive?? This is really important as I like to have the music organized. Thank You

HI, I just completed converting all my music to (FLAC) in anticipation of my Model 3.
QUESTION- When using the FLASHDRIVE - Will the Music on the model 3 Touchscreen display in the FOLDERS that I have
my Music in, on the flashdrive?? This is really important as I like to have the music organized. Thank You
Congrats on your soon-to-be new Model 3.

I can’t answer specifically for a M3, since I have a MS as most people reading this thread likely do, since this thread is in the Model S section. You may want to create a post in the Model 3 section of the forum to get current M3 owners to weigh-in.

As it has been for a very long time, MS (and MX) Media Player have a lot of bugs that can cause issues even using folder view. Generally, FLAC works, and you'll see and be able to playback the tracks in the folders you create using that part of the interface, but proper album sequence of those tracks may be out-of-whack depending how your physical files are named. MP (sadly) does not use the DISC+TRACK tags to figure out the order of tracks (and discs in a multi-disc album) to playback -- but instead relies only the alphanumeric filename across all parts of the interface. There are sadly other possible issues related to album art, other ID3 tag anomolies, unexpected rescans, etc you may or may not encounter -- and not all of those are things you can always workaround. Take a look at the long-standing Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for continued discussion as well as the workarounds I use to build an MS-specific USB device to help mitigate many of the long-standing problems which then allow me to use the rest of the MP interface beyond folder-view. As MP has changed over time -- both improving and sometimes regressing -- I'd suggest starting at the end of that "comprehensive" thread and backing up a few pages, before reading forward to get caught up on what is going on with MS/MX USB if you are so inclined.

There have been many broken promises over the years, including a more recent tweet by Elon, and at least one article I read by the Press that an updated set of firmware is coming which will include some long-standing USB music fixes. As to if that code will be exclusive to the original 2GB MCU we have in our MS/MX, works with only the newer/faster MCUs being talked about in more recent builds, or perhaps benefit from any rewrites that may have taken place when creating the M3 Infotainment System -- we can only speculate at this point. I do know the latest firmware update my MS received late yesterday (2018.12) didn't address MP problems, only added the Tesla App ability to open the trunk and frunk according to the update notes. Do take a look or post in a M3-specific forum to get input from the growing number of M3 owners there, because as time goes on there may or may not be differences in the underlying code and operation of USB MP. IDK.

Good luck with your new M3. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Congrats on your soon-to-be new Model 3.

I can’t answer specifically for a M3, since I have a MS as most people reading this thread likely do, since this thread is in the Model S section. You may want to create a post in the Model 3 section of the forum to get current M3 owners to weigh-in.

As it has been for a very long time, MS (and MX) Media Player have a lot of bugs that can cause issues even using folder view. Generally, FLAC works, and you'll see and be able to playback the tracks in the folders you create using that part of the interface, but proper album sequence of those tracks may be out-of-whack depending how your physical files are named. MP (sadly) does not use the DISC+TRACK tags to figure out the order of tracks (and discs in a multi-disc album) to playback -- but instead relies only the alphanumeric filename across all parts of the interface. There are sadly other possible issues related to album art, other ID3 tag anomolies, unexpected rescans, etc you may or may not encounter -- and not all of those are things you can always workaround. Take a look at the long-standing Comprehensive USB Bug List thread for continued discussion as well as the workarounds I use to build an MS-specific USB device to help mitigate many of the long-standing problems which then allow me to use the rest of the MP interface beyond folder-view. As MP has changed over time -- both improving and sometimes regressing -- I'd suggest starting at the end of that "comprehensive" thread and backing up a few pages, before reading forward to get caught up on what is going on with MS/MX USB if you are so inclined.

There have been many broken promises over the years, including a more recent tweet by Elon, and at least one article I read by the Press that an updated set of firmware is coming which will include some long-standing USB music fixes. As to if that code will be exclusive to the original 2GB MCU we have in our MS/MX, works with only the newer/faster MCUs being talked about in more recent builds, or perhaps benefit from any rewrites that may have taken place when creating the M3 Infotainment System -- we can only speculate at this point. I do know the latest firmware update my MS received late yesterday (2018.12) didn't address MP problems, only added the Tesla App ability to open the trunk and frunk according to the update notes. Do take a look or post in a M3-specific forum to get input from the growing number of M3 owners there, because as time goes on there may or may not be differences in the underlying code and operation of USB MP. IDK.

Good luck with your new M3. Enjoy!

THANK YOU (BertL), I understand from your reply, GOOD NEWS!! (The Folders I created on the Flashdrive, WILL Display on the Model 3 Screen). The TRACKS may be out of order inside the Folder.
It never ceases to amaze me, the KNOWLEDGE and EXPERTISE of the Tesla Owners on this Forum on almost Every Topic.
Again, Thank You for Your Info.

Reactions: Galve2000
I recently went through the exercise to match the tags within FLAC files to the track number and title. Whenever I rip the music from CD I use "<track number>. <song title>" scheme. It was annoying enough that you are unable to play the whole collection of albums by specific artist (only one folder/album at a time), but even worse, the tag didn't match the actual file name (the track # was missing). The playback orrder would be alphabetical, really messy.

I have employed Media Monkey to do initial inventory of my FLAC collection as well as trying to find a the matching album covers. Then, I went with MP3tag software to bulk edit the missing cover information or fix the file names and tags for consistency.

Finally my inner geekiness and OCD is satisfied.

Reactions: LoL Rick