Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking into buying a used Model S in a few months and have started to look at the cars extensively to see features and differences between them as well as what I can and cannot live without. My question to you gurus on here is if my max budget is around 55K what is the best option for me? Do I really need the dual motors, I live in Kansas City and we get snow sometimes... Will I want the bigger battery, or other features right off the bat to make the driving experience better? Should there be anything I should look out for when buying one used? Any help with these would be awesome!

Dual motor: Better for more than just snow. It improves all-around handling and performance, and is more efficient and thus improves range.

Bigger battery: It all comes down to how much you drive and how frequently you can deal with having to charge. Thanks to the Supercharger network, even a 60kWh Model S can easily make it across the country. That said, if your travels regularly take you out of the range of a Supercharger and back… maybe you should consider a bigger battery.

Other options:
- Autopilot: Must. Have.
- Glass/pano roof: nice, but not necessary. Really opens up the cabin, though.
- Air suspension: skip it
- Premium sound: it's alright, but not that much better
- Cold weather: worth considering, especially if you're parking outside

I would try to get the newest model year and biggest battery you can. At 55K though, that probably limits you to an 85. P85s are getting pretty close to that price as well if you are wanting a little more performance, but will have slightly shorter range. Being in Kansas City, I don't see dual motors being that big of deal. As long as you have the 19" with all-season tires or want to get dedicated snow tires, you should be plenty fine. There are plenty of owners in Canada and in Europe that will have much more snow and they don't all have dual motors.

If you want a dual motor though, possible you could find a higher mileage 70D, but might be still over your budget. Probably not going to get AP in your budget. You did mention buying in few months, so who knows where prices are going to end up. All boils down to what your commute or range needs are as most important factor to consider. Once you narrow that down, rest of the decision is fairly easy.

edit: Will plug ev-cpo.com as good website to look at CPO cars. Creator (HankLloydRight) is active forum member.

Although I don't really need it, I also had a budget similar to yours and got a MS60. I had to have AP1 though, but there's not a lot of them out there with that feature. I'd keep waiting around and do as the others said and get as much bang for your buck as you possibly can.

Also, don't settle. Right when I was about to pull the trigger on one that didn't have AP1, the next day one was available.

I would try to get the newest model year and biggest battery you can. At 55K though, that probably limits you to an 85. P85s are getting pretty close to that price as well if you are wanting a little more performance, but will have slightly shorter range. Being in Kansas City, I don't see dual motors being that big of deal. As long as you have the 19" with all-season tires or want to get dedicated snow tires, you should be plenty fine. There are plenty of owners in Canada and in Europe that will have much more snow and they don't all have dual motors.

If you want a dual motor though, possible you could find a higher mileage 70D, but might be still over your budget. Probably not going to get AP in your budget. You did mention buying in few months, so who knows where prices are going to end up. All boils down to what your commute or range needs are as most important factor to consider. Once you narrow that down, rest of the decision is fairly easy.

edit: Will plug ev-cpo.com as good website to look at CPO cars. Creator (HankLloydRight) is active forum member.

Thank you for the advice, I am really looking for a 70D I think I would like the dual motors, for the AWD capability in the ice, however I did pass up a P85D listed for 56K because I wasn't ready to buy yet :( :( it was perfect, but another will come along...I also have a question about what you guys think about the mileage of the car? I feel like it doesn't really matter, as I have read lengthy threads about owners past 100K and not had any major problems. One more thing, anyone have a good website that lists features by year in the Model S?

Thank you for the advice, I am really looking for a 70D I think I would like the dual motors, for the AWD capability in the ice, however I did pass up a P85D listed for 56K because I wasn't ready to buy yet :( :( it was perfect, but another will come along...I also have a question about what you guys think about the mileage of the car? I feel like it doesn't really matter, as I have read lengthy threads about owners past 100K and not had any major problems. One more thing, anyone have a good website that lists features by year in the Model S?

Also what year/options would I need for basic autopilot?

There have been plenty of reports as well that even the RWD versions have improved traction vs traditional RWD cars and plenty of people with single motors live in icy areas up north. If the price difference means bigger battery or AWD i would go bigger battery. Autopilot hardware vs AWD? autopilot for sure, i dont think id get a tesla if it didn't have autopilot. Even my camry has radar cruise control .

So I'm looking for a unicorn I guess...is it unreasonable to find a 2014/15 MS 70D (is there a P70D?) or P85D w/ AP1 for 55K or less???
You aren't likely to find a car with those features for that price, at least as a Tesla CPO (hard to know what the private sale market is like). You can get a 2014 85 without D or AP for that price. You can get an older P85 for that price. But once you put AP1 or D on the list the prices tend to be well over 60k at the present time.

And no, there is no "P70D."

EV-CPO / Tesla Preowned, Used, and Inventory Listings / ev-cpo.com

So far as dual drive is concerned, if you use good snow tires RWD is fine in snow and ice. While dual drive has other advantages besides snow traction, it does cost extra. Both AP and D are the things that are still expensive on CPO cars because the cars that have them are relatively new and the ones on the lower end of the price range sell quickly. In another year or two you might get a car that meets most of your desires in your price range. But that means being patient. Or looking for a unicorn!

Last edited:
Any reasons why this is a bad idea...my brother lives in Colorado, I could have him buy a MS for me new (to receive the 7500 federal credit, and the 5000 state credit) and then he give me the credit money and sell me the car for $1? Then he would ced the credit money when he does taxes next year.

I have AP and I do use it, but I am not sure that should be a deal killer for your first Tesla. Many owners enjoy their pre-AP cars and find them a joy to drive. So depending upon your preferences for other features and depending on how much of a hurry you are in, you may want to leave AP off the "essential" list.

One question: have you done test drives? There is no obligation. So if you live near enough to a sales location and can schedule a test drive (or 2 or 3!), I would. That gives you the opportunity to try the cars, decide if performance is a big deal, decide if air suspension matters, maybe try out the two sound systems, etc.

There are lots of personal preferences, opinions, driving habits, needs, etc. to consider. Having bought a used P85 from someone off this forum last year, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. The following is some of what of I've learned over the past year driving the car. I hope this helps.

Battery size - the bigger the better. This is obvious, but I learned that winter travel (range) can be severely reduced. Cabin heat and battery heat can reduce range by as much as 30% to 50%. This isn't a problem for daily commutes, but long distance travel can be a different story with more frequent SC stops.

Air suspension - maybe a preference thing, but I have found that SAS cars provide a smoother ride than the standard suspension ones. I really like this feature. You can use this to give the car additional ground clearance over steep driveways or even snow, although I didn't have to use it for that this winter.

AWD - probably nice to have, but I found the RWD to be just fine even in the Indiana winter snow. I'm sure it doesn't stay as planted as the AWD, but it's as good or better than any other car I've driven. BTW, the P85 is a blast to drive partly because of RWD.

Premium sound - I really like it. I'll admit this is not something I would have ordered, but this is one of my favorite features of the car.

Tech Package - the fog lights and interior lights are nice, and the powered lift gate is handy, but I don't know if I'd really miss them. Honestly, I don't know what else is included in the tech package on the early cars.

Cold weather package - I don't really have an opinion since my car doesn't have this feature, but with heated front seats standard and the ability to pre-heat the cabin, I don't think it matters much in the Midwest.

Sunroof - I like it because of the open feel it gives even when closed, but this is truly a personal preference. Mine has been great with no issues whatsoever.

Good luck finding the right car. There are lots of them for sale in your price range, so you should have lots to choose from. Also, Tesla has a lot of other CPOs that aren't posted on their website. Just call them or go to the store and ask.

Cheers!

Reactions: David29