TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Used Model S vs. Bolt

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Takumi, May 2, 2017.

?

Used Model S or a New Chevy Bolt?

1. Used Model S

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. New Chevy Bolt

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Takumi

Takumi Member

Is there enough used Model S out there at the Bolt's price point to make it a competitor to the Bolt?

Advantages? Disadvantages?

2. Medpilot

Medpilot Member

Personally, I'd rather have a used 2012 Model S with 120K miles before owning a brand new Bolt.

• Like x 5
  3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Used private seller Model S are starting to dip into brand new Bolt EV price ranges.

No warranty of any kind but (mostly) available with free supercharger for life. A few 60's and 40's out there without free supercharging for life.

I would probably up my budget a bit for a Certified Pre-Owned Car from Tesla.

You can't take these to the local monkey wrench to get a clean bill of health.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

they are 2 different animals. a bolt might be fine for some people but for may others only a long range tesla will do.

5. azred

azred Member

Might want to try the same poll on a Chevy forum.

6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Other than, say, Steve Wozniak, are there that many people who would cross-shop a Model S with a Bolt? Seems they would each appeal to different audiences.

7. jchag

jchag Member

I own a Model S and a Bolt. Like a previous responder said two different animals. Bolt is a hell of an EV for its price range. It will travel further on a full battery than my MS75D.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Toss in a functional long-distance charging network into the Bolt choice and I'll play. Until then, one is an all-purpose car and the other a commuter.

Nothing wrong with a commuter car, but $30k for a commuter is DOA when LEAFs are under $10 - 15k new.

• Like x 3
  9. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

I've driven the Bolt. It's an entertaining car and performance is far greater than the Leaf. Price difference is easily made up in content, the Bolt has newer tech, has far better battery management, and can reasonably be expected to be useful on the rare days when people drive 250 miles, and even more rare >250 mile days.

Hell, if you want to commute on the cheap, NOTHING comes close the Smart ED outside of a few loss leading compliance cars. If you compromise on size, Smart ED is great, if you care about performance go with i3 or Bolt, if you want to drive a quiet, comfortable and cheap low range car with seating for 5 go with the Leaf.

These are very different cars for different people.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Such as ?

Such as ?

It can only get better if the LEAF is the comparison, but GM seems to disagree. Check out the Bolt battery warranty

Just be sure to drive 30 mph the whole way. On a nice day.

11. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

"Only"? There are other BEVs out there using fans and cabin air for active battery thermal management beyond the LEAF's completely passive approach. I suspect the Bolt's approach using aluminum heat sink fins and a liquid chiller plate is superior to most any air/fan system but I haven't seen side-by-side scientific comparisons yet.

It's been pointed out that Tesla's degradation warranty is inifinitely worse than GM's....

Driving 30 mph on a nice day would be like NEDC. The Bolt's NEDC rating is 323 miles (~520 km).

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#12 SageBrush, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Tesla has a wonderful track record. GM has *crickets* on its better days, and a long, long history of screwing its customers the rest of the time.

I stand corrected. 50 mph

And if we are mentioning technical merit, have you reported any more DCFC rates on your Bolt ? The Tesla troll Bro* did for the Bolt: Maximum 44 kW, 22 kW after ~ 60% SoC in ideal conditions. That is just awful, and explains why GM views DCFC as an option LOL

13. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

tesla all the way :D

14. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I think that's ridiculous. I'm my 4 1/2 years of owning a Tesla I've used superchargers on exactly 2 trips. I drive it over the range of a Leaf all the time. No comparison. Not to mention the Leaf has piss poor acceleration. If I had to buy a new EV right this minute and couldn't afford a Model S, I think the Bolt is the best option. As far as the title of this thread, I'm not sure. Depends on your needs.