Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S vs. Bolt

Used Model S or a New Chevy Bolt?

• Used Model S

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • New Chevy Bolt

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used private seller Model S are starting to dip into brand new Bolt EV price ranges.

No warranty of any kind but (mostly) available with free supercharger for life. A few 60's and 40's out there without free supercharging for life.

I would probably up my budget a bit for a Certified Pre-Owned Car from Tesla.

You can't take these to the local monkey wrench to get a clean bill of health.

I've driven the Bolt. It's an entertaining car and performance is far greater than the Leaf. Price difference is easily made up in content, the Bolt has newer tech, has far better battery management, and can reasonably be expected to be useful on the rare days when people drive 250 miles, and even more rare >250 mile days.

Hell, if you want to commute on the cheap, NOTHING comes close the Smart ED outside of a few loss leading compliance cars. If you compromise on size, Smart ED is great, if you care about performance go with i3 or Bolt, if you want to drive a quiet, comfortable and cheap low range car with seating for 5 go with the Leaf.

These are very different cars for different people.

Price difference is easily made up in content
Such as ?

the Bolt has newer tech
Such as ?

has far better battery management
It can only get better if the LEAF is the comparison, but GM seems to disagree. Check out the Bolt battery warranty

can reasonably be expected to be useful on the rare days when people drive 250 miles
Just be sure to drive 30 mph the whole way. On a nice day.

It can only get better if the LEAF is the comparison,
"Only"? There are other BEVs out there using fans and cabin air for active battery thermal management beyond the LEAF's completely passive approach. I suspect the Bolt's approach using aluminum heat sink fins and a liquid chiller plate is superior to most any air/fan system but I haven't seen side-by-side scientific comparisons yet.

...but GM seems to disagree. Check out the Bolt battery warranty
It's been pointed out that Tesla's degradation warranty is inifinitely worse than GM's....

Just be sure to drive 30 mph the whole way. On a nice day.
Driving 30 mph on a nice day would be like NEDC. The Bolt's NEDC rating is 323 miles (~520 km).

It's been pointed out that Tesla's degradation warranty is inifinitely worse than GM's....
Tesla has a wonderful track record. GM has *crickets* on its better days, and a long, long history of screwing its customers the rest of the time.

Driving 30 mph on a nice day would be like NEDC. The Bolt's NEDC rating is 323 miles (~520 km).
I stand corrected. 50 mph

And if we are mentioning technical merit, have you reported any more DCFC rates on your Bolt ? The Tesla troll Bro* did for the Bolt: Maximum 44 kW, 22 kW after ~ 60% SoC in ideal conditions. That is just awful, and explains why GM views DCFC as an option LOL

Last edited:
Toss in a functional long-distance charging network into the Bolt choice and I'll play. Until then, one is an all-purpose car and the other a commuter.

Nothing wrong with a commuter car, but $30k for a commuter is DOA when LEAFs are under $10 - 15k new.

I think that's ridiculous. I'm my 4 1/2 years of owning a Tesla I've used superchargers on exactly 2 trips. I drive it over the range of a Leaf all the time. No comparison. Not to mention the Leaf has piss poor acceleration. If I had to buy a new EV right this minute and couldn't afford a Model S, I think the Bolt is the best option. As far as the title of this thread, I'm not sure. Depends on your needs.