Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that there is no sales tax on private party sales in CA to out of staters. The DMV exempts you from sales tax so long as you drive the car out of CA. Or folks can meet over the border (Reno, NV is 4 hours from the SF bay area.

Sounds correct. I know within CA, private party sales get taxed when the buyer registers the vehicle.

My comment was in reference to used cars sold by Tesla.

Reactions: Zorg
Ok just curious.. why are white sticker cars exempted from getting new red stickers?

Cars can get HOV stickers only once?

I’m Not sure about the logic behind it, but here is what I read and the actual rules from DMV.

Can we renew our HOV sticker?

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Apparently there are some exceptions

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, were mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope.

I keep reading sad stories about people who have to drive across multiple states to pick up their cars.
I bought my 2013 MS just after the Tesla ended the $1,500 add-on for shipping and prepping the vehicle. So instead, I flew to KC and took possession. The flight cost about $400 and the trip took two days back to Houston. But the ride? Oh my oh my... I loved the drive home!

Some white stickers are renewable.

DMV sent the renewal paperwork to us for our white 2017 stickers. Our 2016 white stickers are not eligible.
And for those with ineligible white stickers, you get a friendly warning letter like this one:

Dear Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program Participant,
Our records indicate that the vehicle listed above is registered to you and is participating in California's clean air vehicle (CAV) decal program, having been issued green or white decals prior to 2017.
We wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that pursuant to California law, all green and white CAV decals expire on January 1, 2019. After January 1, 2019, vehicles displaying green or white CAV decals may not be operated in high-occupancy vehicle (HOV or carpool) or toll lanes unless the minimum passenger occupancy requirements have been met.
For additional information on the CAV decal program please visit Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage or call 1-800-777-0133.
Sincerely,
REGISTRATION OPERATIONS DIVISION
Department of Motor Vehicles

I'm still curious as to why they'll won't renew some of the stickers. What's the criteria other than the issue date? I'm not in CA and don't have a dog in this race, I'm just curious. Seems like random discrimination to me. The cars haven't changed, they're still no/low emissions cars and a lot of people are getting screwed for no particular reason? Is that about right?

I'm still curious as to why they'll won't renew some of the stickers. What's the criteria other than the issue date? I'm not in CA and don't have a dog in this race, I'm just curious. Seems like random discrimination to me. The cars haven't changed, they're still no/low emissions cars and a lot of people are getting screwed for no particular reason? Is that about right?

It seems they simply decided on an arbitrary date. We bought our car in Dec 2016. Didn’t get around to applying for white stickers until Jan 2107
Had we applied when we bought our car in 2016 we’d be ineligible for the lovely red stickers.
BTW - there are now 4 red stickers to deface your car now instead of the previous 3

Last edited:
Lobbying to get you to buy a new car.

I have a question about that, actually. I just bought a pre-owned and it has the white stickers on it. Since I don't live in California and am nearly always actually carpooling when I'm in California, I don't need the stickers. Is there a safe way to remove them?
I used a removable film that I attached stickers to. Worked well
So in your case as other post recommended, take a look at YouTube
I would guess a good detailer would be able to remove it.?

Reactions: Eevee
I thought If you buy from another state you get double taxed?

Each state has their own rules about auto sales tax. For me, buying the car in CA and registering it in NV where I live, I paid way more in CA taxes than I would have in NV, but I don't have to pay NV taxes on top. Additionally, I may be able to deduct the sales tax from my federal income taxes (NV doesn't have state income taxes so that's not an option). Even after all was said and done, this car after taxes was a better value IMO than any of my local options ATM so I went ahead and paid the tax. Every situation is different though.

I highly suggest anyone considering buying pre-owned use EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings and use the advanced options search to limit the results only to particular states - that way you can search by taxes rather than simply a radius from where you are located. The inventory search on the Tesla website is really bad.

Reactions: MC408
Would anyone venture speculation whether the new relationship with Manheim and Adesa will change Tesla’s used car program? If so, how?

Good question!

I have No idea how the system will work, so this is Just my speculation . IMO - it will improve the quality of vehicles we see, but may reduce the quantity. If Manheim and Adesa are sorting thru inventory and refurbishing or sorting out bad vehicles (selling those through wholesalers) and sending the good ones back to sell through Tesla, we should see better quality cars available. With this extra layer of QC and support, my guess is prices will adjust up as well.

Ultimately, the market will bear the prices, but I imagine Tesla has some sort of minimum or formula for what they buy back cars at and what the minimum selling price is. If you add a layer of costs (refurb or 3rd party help) it will likely increase cost.

It would be interesting to track trade in values from TMC members to see what they are trading in at (at a certain date) and what those Vehicles are then sold at (starting price and what low it has hit). I’d be interested to know If the selling price ever drops below what they offered on the trade in.

Question: what is a bigger influence on the prices of “CPO/used” teslas?

supply / demand (more inventory /less willing buyers due to a bad sales process)

Or lower costs (lower trade in values / less refurbish costs)

If costs play in, then this new process will add costs , unless Tesla starts offering less and less on trade ins.