Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model 3s pricing error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine ended up being in San Diego. I was told sales tax depends on where you purchase it.

It costs me less to ship then picking it up.. I would've had fun driving it cross country.

If Tesla would provide you with Temp tags at pickup;
Sales tax would be based on where your register the car and not matter what state the car is purchased in.

Edit: I think you need Tesla to cooperate in your case and invoice you sales tax where you plan on registering it even though you are picking up in CA and driving to NC with temp tags. If they won't play ball with that and CA has a higher sales tax rate than NC you likely lose money or stuck trying to collect a refund later from a state which could be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Those prices include $2k transport fee that I would've had to pay personally because they were located cross country.

Yeah but if you bought at the new price the transport fee remains for you, so is a $8K increase. Seems very excessive, crazy thing though that car is now gone. It was up a few hours ago. Did someone buy it at the new inflated price?, did they send it to auction?, will it be relisted at a new lower price?, who the heck knows what Tesla is doing?
I am on the East Coast so is of interest to me which ones are in NJ as opposed to CA.

If Tesla would provide you with Temp tags at pickup;
Sales tax would be based on where your register the car and not matter what state the car is purchased in.

Edit: I think you need Tesla to cooperate in your case and invoice you sales tax where you plan on registering it even though you are picking up in CA and driving to NC with temp tags. If they won't play ball with that and CA has a higher sales tax rate than NC you likely lose money or stuck trying to collect a refund later from a state which could be a nightmare.

Tesla "to cooperate" :) they're as bureaucratic as state/ DMV.

Got my purchase agreement today.. wish me luck hopefully everything goes well and the car looks in good shape.
Screenshot_20190828-114617_Drive.jpg

Oh dude I didn't know we can return the car for 7 days. I thought that was only for new.
AFAIK it is only for the new vehicles. You can reject a used one at delivery but after that it’s yours.

Good luck @shiftkenny !

FYI - I was one of those who bought a used M3 during the 8/17 price cuts and took delivery on 8/24. We couldn’t be happier!

The car looks great, very minor cosmetic stuff which a good detail should take care of.

what configuration?