Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Purchase - Newer with high mileage vs. Older with low mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys had a question, have been shopping around for a used Model S. I have been running into alot of used 2014 P85's with lower mileage (60K) some with AP1 and some without. Would you guys advise to go with an older model like this with lower mileage? Some were private party and have had the MCU and Batteries replaced recently already. I also found a 2016.5 S75 for the same price but with higher mileage 95K. I also found a 2017 70D with 60K but its a few thousand out of my price range but can try to convince the wife about the higher payment. What would be your recommendation on the model? Also, I was also planning on purchasing the X-Care Warranty but was worried about the battery which is not covered with the warranty. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Newer, higher mileage for sure.

All of the cars you’re looking at have 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranties from Tesla - all the more reason to go with a newer car even if you think you need the X-care coverage for everything else.

Source: 2016.5 Model S owner with 120k

Reactions: henderrj
I think for the most part, repairs are reasonable outside of the battery and DU. So the newer essentially means greater life. So a 4 year old car has 4 good years left while a 7 year old car has 1 good year left. That doesn't mean it is worth 4 times as much at all.
But, since you mentioned payments, you should not be making payments on a Tesla without a battery/DU warranty. That would be foolish financially. Out of warranty Tesla's will probably be valued at around $20k. That way if the battery goes down, you are out $10k since you can probably get $10k out of salvage. Paying anymore would be foolish.
But a 2017 75D would have 4 good years left - valued at $5k a year or so. Subtract $!k a year for repairs. And then you could be worth almost $36k - since it would go down to $20k after the 4 years. High mileage would deduct a few K.
I have a 2015 70D. In my mind, worth $25k. Just 2 years left on battery warranty. 92k miles. Depreciating at $3k a year roughly.
I think there is a pretty good rational floor on a Model S. It is somewhere around $20k. My car is still fantastic in many ways and hard to beat at just $3k depreciation a year. Most repairs are not huge financially. I am out about $1k since warranty expiration. I have another $1k in things I haven't done yet - but they will be like $400 DIY.

Reactions: uspearls
I don't think the comparison is that simple. FAR too many other variables to definitively say which car is better or worse and that's before you even get to the unique needs to the person asking the question. Too many people on this forum are quick to voice an opinion (usually resembling the decision they made) before they even know the details or needs.

Reactions: JimmyB
This is the exact topic I am searching as well. I am seeing out of warranty 2013 model S for around 25-30K, just up to a 2016 (3 year drivetrain and battery warranty left) and the price really jumps up to above 40k. Obviously newer is "better" but is it really? I am looking for a used telsa with transferable unlimited supercharging (I know 2016 and earlier with MANY caveats) as this will be my daily commuter (approx 30 miles total per day) with a supercharge once a week. I don't want to invest in installing a level 2 charger. Is it really that much better to get the newer vehicle for 15K more? Aside from autopilot changes and other minor changes which I really don't care about. Appreciate thoughts! thanks

I just Picked up a 2014 Model S P85D for 36k w/ 60,000 miles. Super Clean and didn't buy from Tesla. Private Dealer. I went from a 2015 Sierra 4x4. The ride quality and $$$ (gas) savings was worth every dollar.

I drive it 87 Miles to and from work 5 days a week from PSL to Plantation Florida. No issues I was super skeptical for buying a used one but I think it really comes down to how the person took care of it prior.

Good LUCK! and keep us posted.

Attachments

• TES.JPG
    TES.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 314
Agree 100% with Ostrichsak. Figure out what’s important to you - range, performance, ride, equipment level, supercharging speed, autopilot (and if so, which one), warranty, RWD or dual motor, MCU etc etc. Fit that to your budget, search far and wide and eventually your car will find you. But cross-shopping an early P85 with a facelifted 70D is comparing apples to oranges - both fruit, but very different.

Reactions: IdahoRenegade
Hi guys had a question, have been shopping around for a used Model S. I have been running into alot of used 2014 P85's with lower mileage (60K) some with AP1 and some without. Would you guys advise to go with an older model like this with lower mileage? Some were private party and have had the MCU and Batteries replaced recently already. I also found a 2016.5 S75 for the same price but with higher mileage 95K. I also found a 2017 70D with 60K but its a few thousand out of my price range but i can try to convince the wife about the higher payment. What would be your recommendation on the model? Also, I was also planning on purchasing the X-Care Warranty but was worried about the it battery which is not covered with the warranty. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
I would go with the 1st one you mentioned but why was the battery replaced? and also make sure free supercharging for life. I just bought my 1st T its a 13 with 23600 always garaged has tech package lifetime connectivity, the motor will last almost forever the battery depending on use and charging care enough last 200k+miles. don't buy from any dealer and make sure it has FSC they stopped giving that after model year 2017

Hi guys had a question, have been shopping around for a used Model S. I have been running into alot of used 2014 P85's with lower mileage (60K) some with AP1 and some without. Would you guys advise to go with an older model like this with lower mileage? Some were private party and have had the MCU and Batteries replaced recently already. I also found a 2016.5 S75 for the same price but with higher mileage 95K. I also found a 2017 70D with 60K but its a few thousand out of my price range but can try to convince the wife about the higher payment. What would be your recommendation on the model? Also, I was also planning on purchasing the X-Care Warranty but was worried about the battery which is not covered with the warranty. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
BTW I just saw the date you posted did you find one? we are both in Socal I want to start flipping T'sS Im always looking for deals they pop up sometimes these older models are going to be collectibles especially with the fsc for life of the car. Mike here btw

i would go with the 1st one you mentioned but why was the battery replaced? and also make sure free supercharging for life. I just bought my 1st T its a 13 with 23600 always garaged has tech package lifetime connectivity, the motor will last almost forever the battery depending on use and charging care enough last 200k+miles. don't buy from any dealer and make sure it has FSC they stopped giving that after model year 2017
I just saw the date you posted did you find one? we are both in Socal I want to start flipping T'sS Im always looking for deals they pop up sometimes these older models are going to be collectibles especially with the fsc for life of the car. Mike here btw

all 85kw and higher models came with a 8year unlimited mile drive train and battery warranty. I got a 13 S85 24800mi. lost 4mi of range now 256 full charge. I know I don't have to worry about replacing bat. or motor. As far as all the other "proprietary" things that go with it that's were tesla fails big time. Service Centers are worse then the worst used car salesman Complete rip-offs won't give part #'s won't sell parts charge $210 hour labor won't talk to you on the phone won't escalate to higher management only give you there first name with first letter of their last name. in this day and age seems to me they are hiding themselves...from what? complete scandals. I don't live my life like that idk about anybody else but the more they try to hide and rip-off people it will come back million times worse. I'm not stopping until I get ahold of the head boss. then we'll see

This is the exact topic I am searching as well. I am seeing out of warranty 2013 model S for around 25-30K, just up to a 2016 (3 year drivetrain and battery warranty left) and the price really jumps up to above 40k. Obviously newer is "better" but is it really? I am looking for a used telsa with transferable unlimited supercharging (I know 2016 and earlier with MANY caveats) as this will be my daily commuter (approx 30 miles total per day) with a supercharge once a week. I don't want to invest in installing a level 2 charger. Is it really that much better to get the newer vehicle for 15K more? Aside from autopilot changes and other minor changes which I really don't care about. Appreciate thoughts! thanks

First, the warranty is on the drive unit, not the drivetrain. I have 239,000 on my 85, still have the original battery, so it may not be much of an issue. Second you can easily charge enough from just 110 volt plug when you're only driving 30 miles a day. I doubt you'd supercharge more than once a month at that rate. Of course, some people can't even use 110, people complaining about extension cords and all! Still, my daughter-in-law did it for years with a Nissan leaf. And that was in her condo. The cord was stretched out across the lawn.

Depending when in 2016 the car was made it might be much better. Does it have the mcu-2? Does it have ap2? If it does have either of those the value is substantially greater. If it does have ap2 or up you might even have full self driving with it, it depends on the original purchase and whether or not it's been resold outside of private sale. If it was me I would go to the newer one. Especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

all 85kw and higher models came with a 8year unlimited mile drive train and battery warranty. I got a 13 S85 24800mi. lost 4mi of range now 256 full charge. I know I don't have to worry about replacing bat. or motor. As far as all the other "proprietary" things that go with it that's were tesla fails big time. Service Centers are worse then the worst used car salesman Complete rip-offs won't give part #'s won't sell parts charge $210 hour labor won't talk to you on the phone won't escalate to higher management only give you there first name with first letter of their last name. in this day and age seems to me they are hiding themselves...from what? complete scandals. I don't live my life like that idk about anybody else but the more they try to hide and rip-off people it will come back million times worse. I'm not stopping until I get ahold of the head boss. then we'll see

I would agree that the hand holding at service centers stinks. Maybe worse than that! But, the service itself is excellent. I've never had a rip off yet. Also, the people absolutely believe in what they're doing. When you do have contact with anyone they are always, always, great. I don't think there's anybody at Tesla trying to rip anybody off. Also they are not trying to make your life hard. Simply volume and growth with a relatively new company. Yes, they have lots of valuation now, but that does not necessarily translate into cash. Nowhere to time, which is what it takes to train people. It's going to take them some years. And, they've been opening up more and more to third party repairs etc. I don't think it'll be too very long, maybe five years, and they'll begin to allow other shops to do repairs authorized under warranty. I don't think that's a reason to stop with tesla.

Good luck and remember, once you drive that tesla, nothing else will be okay to drive! You will love it.

I would agree that the hand holding at service centers stinks. Maybe worse than that! But, the service itself is excellent. I've never had a rip off yet. Also, the people absolutely believe in what they're doing. When you do have contact with anyone they are always, always, great. I don't think there's anybody at Tesla trying to rip anybody off. Also they are not trying to make your life hard. Simply volume and growth with a relatively new company. Yes, they have lots of valuation now, but that does not necessarily translate into cash. Nowhere to time, which is what it takes to train people. It's going to take them some years. And, they've been opening up more and more to third party repairs etc. I don't think it'll be too very long, maybe five years, and they'll begin to allow other shops to do repairs authorized under warranty. I don't think that's a reason to stop with tesla.

Good luck and remember, once you drive that tesla, nothing else will be okay to drive! You will love it.
yes I agree with you on owning and driving a Tesla it took me 9 years to achieve one. But my first experience with a SC was for the eMMC recall which I knew about before I even got my MS. and knew heard about several possible "common" problems the early models may have like the TScreen bubbles leaking goo..ect. i looked for bubbles there was none I didn't notice right away but it was leaking the goo. The second day I requested the recall to be done and they replied back saying the eMMC is OK and that they will get back to me when they get the part...ok well 3 days later the screen froze when I was driving i did not know what to do kind of got scared was on freeway did not know how to reboot or unfreeze it. had to Google it. so I alerted service center they said part is ordered and will be here in 4 weeks and scheduled a appointment. ok no problem I wasn't sure what exactly they were going to replace but would find out when I go there. as I know now its just a memory board so I asked them if they could replace the TScreen and how much it would cost he said $833 total i agreed to do it over the phone (they called me) when I was going to pay for it I noticed he charged $210 labor again he's calling me for payment i mentioned that you already had the MCU out why are you charging labor he puts me on hold for a long minuite and comes back and said he took off the labor.(he should have known that or he did know that and trying to make a extra buck) no big deal but still on the shady side in my mind. 3 days later I learn about the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade so I immediately schedule a appointment not knowing if the TScreen is replaced or not go there for appointment drop car off got uber pass they send me estimate $1500 dont describe in detail of whats being replaced messaged back and forth the TScreen is replaced I said I just paid for one a week earlier and asked for credit towards the $1500 he messaged me back saying no because he spoke to the service writer that I had previously suggested I get the update then. That is a total lie. he said I refused it because no fm on the update now its a lie that doesn't make sence cause you can have fm for $500 extra. I said why would I not have it done then and a week later want it? he said I dont know maybe buyers remorse at that point they lost me as a customer and took the great Tesla feeling I had and turned it around. he wouldn't give me his last name iv asked to speak to his boss he said he will have him call me.The sick evil scum bag ultimate boss is Elon Musk. so yes I do have a completely different view especially service. and there infotainment sucks. watch out there is EV companies closing in on Tesla and will blow by them in lots of ways. Service with a smile not lies on top off trying to get as much $ from you. especially when the owner is worth $160B there is something wrong with the picture dont you think?

yes I agree with you on owning and driving a Tesla it took me 9 years to achieve one. But my first experience with a SC was for the eMMC recall which I knew about before I even got my MS. and knew heard about several possible "common" problems the early models may have like the TScreen bubbles leaking goo..ect. i looked for bubbles there was none I didn't notice right away but it was leaking the goo. The second day I requested the recall to be done and they replied back saying the eMMC is OK and that they will get back to me when they get the part...ok well 3 days later the screen froze when I was driving i did not know what to do kind of got scared was on freeway did not know how to reboot or unfreeze it. had to Google it. so I alerted service center they said part is ordered and will be here in 4 weeks and scheduled a appointment. ok no problem I wasn't sure what exactly they were going to replace but would find out when I go there. as I know now its just a memory board so I asked them if they could replace the TScreen and how much it would cost he said $833 total i agreed to do it over the phone (they called me) when I was going to pay for it I noticed he charged $210 labor again he's calling me for payment i mentioned that you already had the MCU out why are you charging labor he puts me on hold for a long minuite and comes back and said he took off the labor.(he should have known that or he did know that and trying to make a extra buck) no big deal but still on the shady side in my mind. 3 days later I learn about the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade so I immediately schedule a appointment not knowing if the TScreen is replaced or not go there for appointment drop car off got uber pass they send me estimate $1500 dont describe in detail of whats being replaced messaged back and forth the TScreen is replaced I said I just paid for one a week earlier and asked for credit towards the $1500 he messaged me back saying no because he spoke to the service writer that I had previously suggested I get the update then. That is a total lie. he said I refused it because no fm on the update now its a lie that doesn't make sence cause you can have fm for $500 extra. I said why would I not have it done then and a week later want it? he said I dont know maybe buyers remorse at that point they lost me as a customer and took the great Tesla feeling I had and turned it around. he wouldn't give me his last name iv asked to speak to his boss he said he will have him call me.The sick evil scum bag ultimate boss is Elon Musk. so yes I do have a completely different view especially service. and there infotainment sucks. watch out there is EV companies closing in on Tesla and will blow by them in lots of ways. Service with a smile not lies on top off trying to get as much $ from you. especially when the owner is worth $160B there is something wrong with the picture dont you think?

I am sorry that you had this issue. But, and I know this is zero help to you, it is a single data point. I've had my Tesla for, what, 6 years? And done many service visits both warranty and out of warranty, both needed and desired, with now, five I think it is service centers. Numerous people. Never had a single person act this way with me. Of course then, I'm not in california. :)

Without doubt Elon is a driven person. I will not contest that he often runs right over people to get what he wants. Which is what he believes, really believes is necessary. Of course, one could argue Hitler did the same thing! But, he truly does believe he's helping things. Mostly, the cars are great. That's why Tesla will be fine.

Again, sorry for your personal experience. I'm hopeful that most will report that that never happens. Still, it is a real world.