Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

User error and/or a safety concern? Tesla stalk placement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla fixed the problem.. Removed the stalks :)
Yes we have 2 Teslas and a Subaru ICE car I drive less often.. Have tried putting the Subaru in reverse via the blinker :) he he
Great, so if I get used to a car with indicator buttons - when I get in another car I’ll probably end up with full volume music when turning a corner, or activating cruise conttrol to last known speed.

Our Nissan Leaf has the indicator stalk on the right. So when my wife or I swap cars we do have to do the mental reset to make sure we use the correct stalk. It’s not that hard, and it’s rare these days that we use the wrong stalk.

If I ever have a brief brain freeze as to which stalk to use to indicate, a quick look through the steering wheel to identify which stalk has the two arrows printed on it solves the problem.

Reactions: dronus
Haha. I’ve done that on my manual navara Ute this week!!!
I spent a week driving an ICE hire car. Now I keep reaching for the keys every time I try to turn off my Tesla. Muscle memory can be good and bad!

I agree with the OP, it is a problem when using the wrong stalk causes autopilot to activate, even if that just means the car continues at speed instead of slowing through regen. I have left my AP chime on as well.

I spent a week driving an ICE hire car. Now I keep reaching for the keys every time I try to turn off my Tesla. Muscle memory can be good and bad!

I agree with the OP, it is a problem when using the wrong stalk causes autopilot to activate, even if that just means the car continues at speed instead of slowing through regen. I have left my AP chime on as well.
I have the opposite problem as I’m very EV embeded. I jump out of an ice and walk away with the motor running.

Yeah my issue with ICE cars is I keep forgetting to hold the brake at the traffic lights cause i'm use to the HOLD.

About the left/right stalks, i've only even owned Euro cars before the 2 Tesla's i've now had, so it's always been with the indicator on the left.

Reactions: johnchidgey
My cars:
1 ICE car with indicator stalk on right and handbrake. Automatic
1 ICE car with indicator stalk on left and handbrake. Automatic - column gear selector
3 ICE cars with indicator stalks on left and auto parking brakes and hill hold. Automatic
2 ICE cars with indicator stalks on left and auto parking brakes and hill hold. Automatic. One has bonnet latch passenger side.

1 Tesla

No issues with Parking brakes, hill hold, turning car off, etc
Only issue is the car with indicator stalk on right - left stalk activation = wipers.

Otherwise, its much ado about nothing