Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using anything with NFC as a Tesla Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 years later i'm still waiting for them to allow using my watch as a key...IMO that would be infinitely more useful than allowing anything with NFC.
If you get tired of waiting
You could get creative with some acetone and Tesla key card
and make something wearable, ring, bracelet

A Tesla toe ring, and unlock Van Damme style. You just need the PWS Megaphone
to announce "impressive" each time you do it
207f8e53908bf679ea4bc36ebf6e50dc.jpg

or buy one

I’m a bit upset that we cannot use our iPhones as NFC keys to unlock and start the car. I choose not to use Bluetooth and it’s an absolute nightmare to enter and start the car. Why does Android work and iPhone doesn’t?
Add your car key to Apple Wallet on your iPhone or Apple Watch
Are you sure it doesn't work? Apple added a car key mode to Apple wallet, I presume you can program the Tesla to work with it (it just doesn't work directly with the app I suppose).

That article also says it's only supported by BMW

Which cars support Car Keys
Apple's first partner announced at WWDC is BMW
That article is from 2020, BMW was announced as the first partner in June 2020. 1.5 years has passed since then, I would hope Apple had added more partners. Just pointing it out that the Apple standard supported NFC first for car keys, then added Bluetooth later.

If adding a Tesla Key card to Apple Car Keys have not been tried, it's worth trying. The way it works on Android (where each app gets to use NFC independently) obviously isn't how Apple does things, so if that's the only way that people have been trying so far, then obviously try the official method by Apple instead. I don't own any recent Apple device so can't help there.

That article is from 2020, BMW was announced as the first partner in June 2020. 1.5 years has passed since then, I would hope Apple had added more partners. Just pointing it out that the Apple standard supported NFC first for car keys, then added Bluetooth later.

If adding a Tesla Key card to Apple Car Keys have not been tried, it's worth trying. The way it works on Android (where each app gets to use NFC independently) obviously isn't how Apple does things, so if that's the only way that people have been trying so far, then obviously try the official method by Apple instead. I don't own any recent Apple device so can't help there.
Well 1.5 years later it looks like nothing much has changed
Looks like it's still only supported by BMW

key symbol = supports car keys

Do any of you routinely leave your phone in your car? I currently do when I go kayaking, but I haven't taken delivery of my Tesla yet.

Once I receive my Tesla, I'm debating if I should setup passive unlocking or walk-away door locking with my phone. I've read the fine manual, but I still don't understand what would happen if I left my phone in the car and tried to manually lock the doors with a key card. Could anyone enlighten me?

I'm also a bit worried about building the "bad" habit of just walking away from a car and expecting it to lock. I currently have a well established habit of manually locking my car. Part of me thinks I should just keep that habit, and always manually lock and unlock my Tesla.

I'm an Android phone user. If I upgraded to an Android phone with NFC, it seems from this thread like I could set it up so the phone only used NFC, not Bluetooth, for locking and unlocking. Then it seems the phone would need to be very near the door pillar or console just like the key card. Is my understanding correct?

I'm also very tempted by the Tesla Ring. If I could simply tap my knuckle to the B pillar to lock and unlock, not having passive locking and unlocking could remain a luxury I've never sampled, and hardly miss. I would love any Tesla Ring experience reports, from @EtherMN or anyone else with ring experience.

Do any of you routinely leave your phone in your car? I currently do when I go kayaking, but I haven't taken delivery of my Tesla yet.

Once I receive my Tesla, I'm debating if I should setup passive unlocking or walk-away door locking with my phone. I've read the fine manual, but I still don't understand what would happen if I left my phone in the car and tried to manually lock the doors with a key card. Could anyone enlighten me?
The doors would lock (mirrors fold), but with the phone in proximity, pulling on the door handles would unlock and open the door again. This can easily be addressed by turning off Bluetooth on your phone before locking the door. Then the phone becomes essentially invisible to the car. You can pull on the door handle again after locking to confirm it won't open again.
I'm also a bit worried about building the "bad" habit of just walking away from a car and expecting it to lock. I currently have a well established habit of manually locking my car. Part of me thinks I should just keep that habit, and always manually lock and unlock my Tesla.
I have walk away lock enabled, but I still have a habit of looking and confirming the car is locked before I walk away completely. The mirrors fold when it's locked so it's easy to tell (it also flashes lights and makes a sound if you enable that option, but sometimes you can't hear that given it's very quick and not very loud). It seems to lock more quickly if you walk away from the front. From the back, you have to be a further distance before it locks. I don't think you have to worry about developing a bad habit as long as you do the same.
I'm an Android phone user. If I upgraded to an Android phone with NFC, it seems from this thread like I could set it up so the phone only used NFC, not Bluetooth, for locking and unlocking. Then it seems the phone would need to be very near the door pillar or console just like the key card. Is my understanding correct?
Yes, you just need NFC on in your phone, the app has to be on and you tap the pillar like the key card. I'm not sure if it works with app in background though (I only tried in foreground).
I'm also very tempted by the Tesla Ring. If I could simply tap my knuckle to the B pillar to lock and unlock, not having passive locking and unlocking could remain a luxury I've never sampled, and hardly miss. I would love any Tesla Ring experience reports, from @EtherMN or anyone else with ring experience.
Don't have ring experience, but I don't imagine it'll be any different than the keycard, given I believe they are pretty much made by melting down the keycard and putting the chip and antenna into it.

• Informative
Reactions: B_E_V and tm1v2

Which model did you get? The reason I ask is because I feel the Tesla ring does not work very well with MS plaid. I’ve tried 3 different rings now and I find myself tapping the pillar, waving my hand… yes, I follow the instructions. This thing does not work with MS plaid 50% of the time. Forget about finding the right spot in the tray to get it to drive.

Which model did you get? The reason I ask is because I feel the Tesla ring does not work very well with MS plaid. I’ve tried 3 different rings now and I find myself tapping the pillar, waving my hand… yes, I follow the instructions. This thing does not work with MS plaid 50% of the time. Forget about finding the right spot in the tray to get it to drive.
I ordered a Model Y LR.
Did you get all three rings from the same place? TeslaRing.com aka CNICK? What did you do with the 3 different rings?
P.S.
I need a size 11 ring.

Yes, you just need NFC on in your phone, the app has to be on and you tap the pillar like the key card. I'm not sure if it works with app in background though (I only tried in foreground).
Wait. NFC requires the phone to be powered on and functional? Doesn't that entirely eliminate all possible usefulness of the NFC option? If your phone was working, the car would have unlocked before you reached it. Why scrape your phone all over it? Wouldn't it just re-lock and frustrate you?