Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using car as wifi hotspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The browser in Tesla is really slow, and typing is awkward. I am wondering if the car can act a wifi hotspot for my smartphone so that I can browse while I am charging without using up my phone's data plan.

I thought I saw someone saying it was planned feature a few years ago but can't find anything on it anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
The browser in Tesla is really slow, and typing is awkward. I am wondering if the car can act a wifi hotspot for my smartphone so that I can browse while I am charging without using up my phone's data plan.

I thought I saw someone saying it was planned feature a few years ago but can't find anything on it anymore.

You want Tesla to be your ISP too? No thank you. I’m very happy to have them stick with cars.

A lot of cars come with this now. It already has an LTE connection so all it has to do is broadcast it. I was disappointed when I found it doesn’t, I assumed it would.

Other cars require a separate subscription for that to work. Perhaps included as a promotion for a time. If you need something like that, it is very easy to pop a hotspot device into the OBDII port. Might even be cheaper! Check with your cellco. Most other cars require a separate Internet fee just to get entertainment streaming and NAV to work. At least we get that included (for a while).

The time will come when Tesla offers a mobile office set up, using the center screen and a data subscription service.

Some high end motor homes offer this as an option, but it requires a largish antenna on the roof. Works going down the road to surf your email.

That time is not here yet.

At the superchargers, Tesla has a connection to the chargers to monitor issues, so there must be some internet service already set up. Some of these chargers are in the middle of nowhere (especially outside of CA). Maybe a better solution is to allow wifi connection while at the supercharger.

I do like EV trip planner when chargers are sparse where I am going. The Tesla builtin browser doesn't play well with javascript. The vehicle type filed (cyclic selection) doesn't work in Tesla browser. Can I load a different browser, like Chrome, Firefox, etc?

• Love
Reactions: UnicornDriver
At the superchargers, Tesla has a connection to the chargers to monitor issues, so there must be some internet service already set up. Some of these chargers are in the middle of nowhere (especially outside of CA). Maybe a better solution is to allow wifi connection while at the supercharger.

I do like EV trip planner when chargers are sparse where I am going. The Tesla builtin browser doesn't play well with javascript. The vehicle type filed (cyclic selection) doesn't work in Tesla browser. Can I load a different browser, like Chrome, Firefox, etc?

I believe you are stuck with the browser. When I need a real browser I use my phone and cellular network, or turn on the phone hotspot and use a laptop or tablet.

Also, have you filled a bug with the trip planner team? Using that site from the Tesla browser would seem to be a reasonable use case.

• Funny
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Many other car manufactures offer LTE hotspot plan. My Chevy Volt has AT&T LTE hotspot. When we go camping and all of our phones were out of range, the car (probably with larger antenna) could still pick up LTE signal.

t-mobile has the ODBII hotspot as well.