Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using EV's as emergency supplements to Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have solar, PWs and a F150L now.

We can now use the F150L to charge the Tesla ! 30A max.

Just need to sort out how to allow it to serve as an additional battery buffer for the house. 100kwh for $40k-$7.7k rebate was too good to pass up.

I think a manual transfer switch may work. Has anyone done similar?

That's the most practical way to get AC power from the F150. Can you charge the F150 while it's providing AC power?

That's the most practical way to get AC power from the F150. Can you charge the F150 while it's providing AC power?
Yes you can charge the F150L while using the onboard power. In fact you can even drive while using the onboard power.

Could tow the Tesla and charge it at the same time! 🤣

You can also use the F150L onboard to charge itself.

Have not yet tried, but you should be able to charge the truck using the truck all while driving … activating the infinite power glitch.

Last edited:
We have solar, PWs and a F150L now.

We can now use the F150L to charge the Tesla ! 30A max.

Just need to sort out how to allow it to serve as an additional battery buffer for the house. 100kwh for $40k-$7.7k rebate was too good to pass up.

I think a manual transfer switch may work. Has anyone done similar?

Ha that's awesome. BTW what does a F150 Lightning Owner have to do in order to activate the outlets on the truck? Like what's stopping someone from pulling up next to your truck and just plugging in when you're in a parking lot? Do you have to have the key in the cab of the truck for the outlets to work?

It's like someone siphoning your gas, but they're taking electrons...

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Ha that's awesome. BTW what does a F150 Lightning Owner have to do in order to activate the outlets on the truck? Like what's stopping someone from pulling up next to your truck and just plugging in when you're in a parking lot? Do you have to have the key in the cab of the truck for the outlets to work?

I'm sure it would be illegal, but would the charge be? 😆

It's a good question. There is no key. You lift the plug cover, plug in and press a green button.
I think the truck needs to be on initially to activate the on-board power, but I have not (yet) tried this!

I have a bed cover now, so there is no access unless you can unlock and lower the tailgate :)

And its only 30A/7.2kwh, so the siphon would take 18 hours :)

It's a good question. There is no key. You lift the plug cover, plug in and press a green button.
I think the truck needs to be on initially to activate the on-board power, but I have not (yet) tried this!

I have a bed cover now, so there is no access unless you can unlock and lower the tailgate :)

And its only 30A/7.2kwh, so the siphon would take 18 hours :)

Lol now I need to find someone with a F150 Lightning at work and see if I can just secretly take electrons every day while in the parking. Maybe they'll never notice and I've activated the infinite EV commuting glitch.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Lol now I need to find someone with a F150 Lightning at work and see if I can just secretly take electrons every day while in the parking. Maybe they'll never notice and I've activated the infinite EV commuting glitch.
Confirmed that the green button does not activate the plug if the truck is not running :/

Perhaps you can try to plug in & activate quickly before the driver exits their vehicle, gives you a few seconds after parking !

• Funny
Reactions: holeydonut