Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Plot Recipe Table will be a great addition.

However, I was hoping for a different feature. Something much more compact horizontally, just showing the one Plot in use to make the graph. Perhaps the csv text broken into 3 parts like the example below, semi-transparent and superimposed over the graph, so that it could be included in a screenshot of the graphed data for better documentation of the data.

Another use ... if you know what specific Recipes were used to graph the data, it might be easier to tell if the scaling is being done properly.

(49,50) PT:Module0 InTempC&F:
>TC1:v,2,0xFF,00,3,0x3F,8,-40,50,1,0.0122,0,
0,1,0x1F,0x18,0x6F2,0,0,0,0,0,0
>TF1:v,2,0xFF,00,3,0x3F,8,-40,122,1,0.02196,-1457,

Perhaps something for the future, where setting the text size used might be a Settings option.

The Plot Recipe Table will be a great addition.

However, I was hoping for a different feature. Something much more compact horizontally, just showing the one Plot in use to make the graph. Perhaps the csv text broken into 3 parts like the example below, semi-transparent and superimposed over the graph, so that it could be included in a screenshot of the graphed data for better documentation of the data.

Another use ... if you know what specific Recipes were used to graph the data, it might be easier to tell if the scaling is being done properly.

(49,50) PT:Module0 InTempC&F:
>TC1:v,2,0xFF,00,3,0x3F,8,-40,50,1,0.0122,0,
>TF1:v,2,0xFF,00,3,0x3F,8,-40,122,1,0.02196,-1457,

Perhaps something for the future, where setting the text size used might be a Settings option.
Sorry, that is just not readable.

Data Sluthing 101 - Recognizing the High and Low bytes of a multi-byte variable:

In the first screenshot in post #196, note that the first byte (D1 or B0 in blue) appears to be the high order byte of some variable (V1), possibly correlated with some aspect of driving speed. The second byte (D2 or B1 in red) just appears to be "noise". However, looking carefully at the parts of D2 that occur when the first byte is mostly flat (not changing very much) we can see that the "noise" appears to be noticably less during those intervals. That is a strong clue that the second byte is the Low-order byte of a two-byte variable.

Sometimes two-byte variables are used when the measureable range and resolution of the data requires more than the 255 levels that one byte can represent. Two bytes gives one about 64,000 levels. Usually, the two bytes are adjacent in the message data bytes, but not always. In this case, the High-order byte is first, and the Low-order byte in next. Sometimes the Low-order byte comes first.

Looking at the next two bytes, notice the much shorter flat intervals of D3 match the less-noisy parts of D4. So, we can be fairly sure that D3 is the high byte and D4 the low byte of a different variable (V2).

Then, note that the peaks of V2 occur when V1 is changing rapidly, with V2 peaks up for rising slope of V1, and downward "peaks" of V2 for the falling slopes of V1. If V1 is related to a speed, like RPM, or even an accelerator pedal position, then V2 might be related to acceleration, like power, amps, etc.

The D5 and D6 appear to be nearly constant, but one cannot tell if they are actually constant at the graphing scale used for them. If they were 0 and 255 that might indicate that the bytes are unused, or that they might contain flags that are not changing at the moment.

The byte D7, as Turbo3 mentions, appears the be a "time" related counter, with approximately a 0.2 second perioid (according to the 4x scale captions, but those might possibly be misleading), perhaps counting milliseconds, with use unknown at this point, but perhaps part of a multi-byte counter elsewhere.

D8 is unusual. It could be the lowest byte in a high resolution 3-byte variable, or ... just unknown for now.

Last edited:
Sorry, that is just not readable.

That text seems to be quite readable on my LG G3 Android smartphone, and very readable on tablets and the rather huge iPad, ... but perhaps not on some older, lower resolution phones?

Or, perhaps you mean not understandable ... to most humanoids?
But, the text would be meaningful to you and anybody directly editing csv files, right?

Or, am I not understanding correctly?
Thanks

Version 0.1.28 was just uploaded and includes the new view recipes function on the menu. By reducing the Header text you can make more columns of data visible on the screen at one time. Depending on how long it takes the reviewer it might be available by late afternoon PDT.

IMG_0217.PNG

Version 0.1.28 was just uploaded and includes the new view recipes function on the menu. By reducing the Header text you can make more columns of data visible on the screen at one time. Depending on how long it takes the reviewer it might be available by late afternoon PDT.

View attachment 172100
Any chance these recipes will be included by default? If not, is there a good place (i.e. server) somewhere, or perhaps on TMC wiki, that's maintaining a master recipe list?

Any chance these recipes will be included by default? If not, is there a good place (i.e. server) somewhere, or perhaps on TMC wiki, that's maintaining a master recipe list?

This would be great. I would suggest adding a wiki to this thread (I think that's still a forum feature) to keep it all in one place.

This thread has gotten really difficult to follow. I think I need a very simple tutorial on how to use this app. I know the app is rapidly changing, but I'm finding I can't effectively test the app because I don't know how to use most of its features.

Apparently v0.1.28 only shows the Standard Plots, and not the User Plots.
Then, if a User Plot is in use when View Recipes is selected, the app crashes.

Probably showing both the Standard Plots and the User Plots was intended?

This version has the wide column headers in the Recipes table.
I do not see any blank lines between the Plots ... like you show above.
You might consider making the first line of each Plot the light blue, instead of every other line.

Using D1 through D8 instead of B0 through B7 in the Plot names and Variable names might be less confusing, to better match the Byte numbers in the recipes, which are 1 - 8?

Highlighting a Recipe in the table currently seems to do nothing.
Perhaps, in the future, we would be able to edit the highlighted User Recipe?

Last edited:

A copy of my User Plot file (spyvarparmlist.csv) should be available using this Dropbox link:
Dropbox - Public
***** NOTE: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. *****

Please let me know if this link works, or not.
I need a not-me person to test getting the file.
Thanks, Gary

Last edited:
Here is tomorrow's version 0.1.29 improved Recipe viewer. The dark blue highlighted line is initialized to the plot group used by the graph screen and now can not be moved as was possible in 0.1.28. As per Gary's suggestion only the first line of a plot group is highlighted in light blue.

There are two recipe files. One internal and the other user supplied. Which one is shown by the viewer depends on the plot group currently being used to create the graph (or last graph shown if you are not on a graph screen).

This screenshot is of the internal recipe file with the updated short header labels and blank lines added between plot groups.

2016-04-13 19.23.36.png

In v0.1.28 with each blank line in the User Plots file just a blank line,
or using 22 commas for the "blank line", ... either way the app aborts
when trying the new View (User) Recipes function.

What am I missing, please? ..... More testing ... I found that:

1. a PT (or possibly PT:) is required ar the beginning of each recipe line, or v28 aborts.

2. Apparently, not having 22 commas for a "blank line" causes v28's View Recipes function
to show the first field of the following line as blank.

Perhaps v29 will work differently?

Last edited:
In v0.1.28 with each blank line in the User Plots file just a blank line,
or using 22 commas for the "blank line", ... either way the app aborts
when trying the new View (User) Recipes function.

What am I missing, please? ..... More testing ... I found that:

1. a PT (or possibly PT:) is required ar the beginning of each recipe line, or v28 aborts.

2. Apparently, not having 22 commas for a "blank line" causes v28's View Recipes function
to show the first field of the following line as blank.

Perhaps v29 will work differently?
The viewer is a csv viewer. To be sure your file is csv compliant open it with Excel and then save it as a csv file.

In fact you should only be using Excel to create and modify the recipe files and saving them as a csv file. That is why there is a header line so you can easily understand the meaning of each column. You should not be using a text editor to create recipes files.

And yes you need a PT: or something similar at the start of the name as defined by your format requirements which is what I am using. The viewer will strip that off to save space while viewing but it must be there.

Last edited:
The viewer is a csv viewer. To be sure your file is csv compliant open it with Excel and then save it as a csv file.

In fact you should only be using Excel to create and modify the recipe files and saving them as a csv file. That is why there is a header line so you can easily understand the meaning of each column. You should not be using a text editor to create recipes files.

And yes you need a PT: or something similar at the start of the name as defined by your format requirements which is what I am using. The viewer will strip that off to save space while viewing but it must be there.

If I could find a reliable csv editor that would:
1. open AND save in cvs format,
2. edit in spreadsheet format,
3. work well with Dropbox,
4. not require a paid subscription,
5. have a free trial version to test all the above,
6. support cut, copy, and paste operations on cells and rows,
7. and run on the iPad ...

I would try to use it. Any suggestions?
I asked before and nobody offered any help.

The closest that I could find was Nocs, which displays in spreadsheet format,
but apparently only edits in text format ... so, I edit in text format where I have
good cut, copy, and paste functions, and then view in the spreadsheet format.

------ Concerning v0.1.28 ------
1. I tried a "GG:" instead of a "PT:" at the beginning of a Recipe, and I thought
TM-Spy aborted when selecting "View Recipes", but apparently it was the fully
blank lines that was the problem, because I just tried v0.1.28 again and it works
with the GG, as seen in the screenshot below. So, sorry for that alarm. If we could
go back and edit past posts, I would fix the errors ... but one cannot.

2. The excessive space in the first column you have already taken care of, I believe.

Overall, looking good. I slid the spreadsheet slightly to the left to be able to read
all the colums on one screen. In your v0.1.29 that should not be necessary on the
landscape iPad.

image.png

Thanks Jim, for your continued great work.

Last edited:
If I could find a reliable csv editor that would:
1. open AND save in cvs format,
2. edit in spreadsheet format,
3. work well with Dropbox,
4. not require a paid subscription,
5. have a free trial version to test all the above,
6. support cut, copy, and paste operations on cells and rows,
7. and run on the iPad ...

I would try to use it. Any suggestions?
I asked before and nobody offered any help.

The closest that I could find was Nocs, which displays in spreadsheet format,
but apparently only edits in text format ... so, I edit in text format where I have
good cut, copy, and paste functions, and then view in the spreadsheet format.

------ Concerning v0.1.28 ------
1. I tried a "GG:" instead of a "PT:" at the beginning of a Recipe, and I thought
TM-Spy aborted when selecting "View Recipes", but apparently it was the fully
blank lines that was the problem, because I just tried v0.1.28 again and it works
with the GG, as seen in the screenshot below. So, sorry for that alarm. If we could
go back and edit past posts, I would fix the errors ... but one cannot.

2. The excessive space in the first column you have already taken care of, I believe.

Overall, looking good. I slid the spreadsheet slightly to the left to be able to read
all the colums on one screen. In your v0.1.29 that should not be necessary on the
landscape iPad.

View attachment 172194

Thanks Jim, for your continued great work.
I downloaded Gary's recipes csv file. The app crashes when I click on 'View Recipes'. (I do see them in the 'Options' drop down menu though).

• Informative
Reactions: garygid