Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next release which should happen Monday morning is now 0.1.25. Includes code to pad all frames to 8 bytes by adding 0xFF to the end to fill it out.

User MsgID selection list now includes a short description of the frame information for known frames and the frame length if not 8 bytes long.

(Read Drive should be Rear Drive)

IMG_0214.PNG

IMG_0215.PNG

Since the messages 102:8 and 102:6 might have different data, or at least differently formatted data, and thus require different Recipes, I found that it was helpful to be able to differentiate the two "different" commands in my LEAF all-message log listings, so I included the one extra nibble (one hex digit in a text log) of information, the Data-Length (always 0 to 8 in real CAN messages) in my message-log files.

Although we might not need that here, just something to consider.
No, I think that I did not get the Data-Length included in Recipies in CAN-Do ... yet.

Wow, a list of the msgIDs included, Great Work Turbo3!

Is there a way for a user to enter a msgID that is not on the list?

Now, I am going to have to do a CAN-Do log of all the CAN3 messages,
including those while stopped, while driving, and during Supercharging.
Long overdue, but I will try to get a log this morning.
No, I need to add any new MsgIDs to the code for them to show up on the list. Send any MsgIDs I have missed along with their length(s) and they will be added to the next release. If you know their function include a short description too.

Double-Darn ... logging attempt failed.

I was in the car, hooked up my logging stuff, saw the flashing light on the AVR-CAN board that indicates CAN messages are being decoded ... and went to power on the laptop to start my CAN-Do program to actually capture the messages ... and the laptop's battery is apparently no longer holding a charge. About 30 seconds into the boot-up, the Vista laptop powered off.

So, maybe another laptop can run on its battery, I will have to check, and check to see if my 32-bit CAN-Do is fully capable on my 64-bit Win 7 laptop.

Double-Darn ... logging attempt failed.

I was in the car, hooked up my logging stuff, saw the flashing light on the AVR-CAN board that indicates CAN messages are being decoded ... and went to power on the laptop to start my CAN-Do program to actually capture the messages ... and the laptop's battery is apparently no longer holding a charge. About 30 seconds into the boot-up, the Vista laptop powered off.

So, maybe another laptop can run on its battery, I will have to check, and check to see if my 32-bit CAN-Do is fully capable on my 64-bit Win 7 laptop.
Sent to wrong thread?

For those having trouble getting your VIN to show up I am thinking of adding a new option that will make the app sit and look for the VIN. When enabled, TM-Spy will wait until it sees the VIN which should take a maximum of 10 minutes. Only the battery odometer reading will be updated while waiting for the VIN to show up no other values will be updated like the battery cell voltages or temperatures.

Testing v0.1.25 ...
The 0x800 Recipes are recognized in Settings, and your msgID list is ... long ... and I just got a log, of sorts, since it has some garbage because of the fast message rate, I think. Later, I will check the v0.1.25 msgID list against what I got with the car just sitting still.

When using Menu to Load data, the list of applicable Recipes comes up, and the 800-Recipes appear. Good.
However, when using Menu to just select a different Recipe, the 800's are missing ... a tiny oversight.

More later, Gary

Testing v0.1.25 ...
The 0x800 Recipes are recognized in Settings, and your msgID list is ... long ... and I just got a log, of sorts, since it has some garbage because of the fast message rate, I think. Later, I will check the v0.1.25 msgID list against what I got with the car just sitting still.

When using Menu to Load data, the list of applicable Recipes comes up, and the 800-Recipes appear. Good.
However, when using Menu to just select a different Recipe, the 800's are missing ... a tiny oversight.

More later, Gary
Fixed in the next release.

For those having trouble getting your VIN to show up I am thinking of adding a new option that will make the app sit and look for the VIN. When enabled, TM-Spy will wait until it sees the VIN which should take a maximum of 10 minutes. Only the battery odometer reading will be updated while waiting for the VIN to show up no other values will be updated like the battery cell voltages or temperatures.
That would be helpful if its not too much work. I have yet to see the VIN although I did get it with the Android version.

In Settings, Options, ...
Consider making the msgid a longer box under the Recipe box,
thus showing most of the possibly long string for the selected msgid.

Then, make the Recipe box a bit longer, extending more toward the left margin.
And, then make the msgid box's length and position match the Recipe box.

Also, if a non 800 Recipe is selected, show its msgid (and possible description) in that box,
then the msgid box always has helpful information, and it does not have to vanish.

Thoughts ...
1. In the future, when using TM-Spy offline, one of our files could be a Log file, and
"data collection" could be done from that file, instead of from the live CAN bus.

2. Initially the Log file could be of CAN3, but eventually it could be from one of the other CAN buses.

3. Similar to the Built-in Plots (Recipes) file being extended by the UserPlots file in Dropbox,
the builtin MsgID file could be extended by a UserMsgID file in the same place, loaded at the same time.
This would allow the user to better document any msgid discoveries, share them with friends,
and eventually send them in as candidates to become part of the builtin msgid file.