Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something is strange with decoding these groups of 14 bits ...
are these bits high order on the right instead of on the left?

If so, we are going to need a way to reverse the order of the bits in a byte,
like making the byte # negative to flip the bits from right-to-left to left-to-right.

WAIT, WHAT DID YOU DO TO MAKE IT WORK ... recipe for Plot, please?
I posted the equations I use on the Tesla battery topic. I think you even commented on it way back then. But you will also need the next version which fixes some features (now bugs) and supports full hex in the recipes. The right side scale was not originally designed for fractions which means the current release uses integers to set the limits which does not work well when displaying voltages that vary by a few miliivolts.

I am not happy with the way post filtering looks when first displayed (blank graph because the zoom level is screwed up due to so much of the data being filtered out. I may hold off with the release until I decide how to handle this. You need to manually zoom in a lot before the graph starts to appears.

There are a few ways to handle this I just don't know which is the best at the moment. May need to experiment which will take some time.

I could pre-process the array and remove all the filtered data but then if you select a different plot I need to restore all the data to view it unfiltered or with a different filter. I could have a third array I copy over all the filtered data into meaning I now have three data areas.

I have a simple solution to the post filtered trace problem. But it seems to have uncovered some bugs in graphing small amounts of data when zooming and scrolling where I can't zoom in or scroll. I will work on those in the morning. But it looks like a good solution that makes it work the way you think it should.

Fixed one bug so I think it is good enough. Zoom seems limited on a small post filtered trace. Will work on that tomorrow.

Version 0.0.19 is making its way through the system.

Last edited:
The next release will fix the zoom limit on traces smaller than the window size.

It will also fix the timescale when viewing post filtered data.

Here is the updated "Brick Volts" graph using this new version. Note the time scale is now correct for this 11 minute trace even though only one in 32 frames is being displayed.

IMG_0205.PNG

Reactions: Kalud
Using v0.0.19, just out a little while ago. Much improved in many ways, Thanks to Jim's hard work.

We seem to have the Brick Voltages, here is Module 3 (of 1 - 96), Bricks 1, 2, 3, and 4 (of 1 - 6) as seen in the iPad, which should match Jim's Plot above (I was using the slightly backwards before.):

image.png

Then, Temperatures from the Outputs of all the Module (or so we assume):

image.png

Temps from one Module's Input, shown in C and F (hopefully correct):

image.png

More later, need to feed and Rx my "puppy" (doggy) girl, and eat ...

Last edited:
The "Nocs" iOS app is quite a good and convenient app for viewing and editing your User Plots ("spyvarparmlist.csv") file that you would usually have in a Dropbox folder.

If others have better methods of editing, please let me know, since I am an iOS beginner. Thanks, Gary

Here is a link to what I think is a backup copy of my current User Plots ".csv" file in my Dropbox:
... testing ...
Dropbox - For TM-Spy
... what does this link do for you? I am just learning to use Dropbox. ... Thanks ...

If the link does not allow you to get a copy of the file, or if you find problems with, or errors in, the file, please let me know.

If it works for you to get a copy of the file, also let me know by someone posting here. Then, I will try to post some links to msgID log files (X_files) for you to play with offline, even if you cannot connect to a Tesla.

Last edited:
No wiki, but read this thread from the start.

Yes, but above the cubby, not exactly behind the dash. Depends upon car age and console situation. But get it working first, then hide the dongle later.

Yes, the iPad only needs to connect to the dongle, via Bluetooth LE (4.0).

Thanks,

I am reading this thread, and the other one. I have both Android phone, and iPad available. What would you recommend using ? Ipad has a bigger screen, so it seems better, if it is at feature parity

For now, the iOS app is much more advanced, and uses iPad 3 or later to support the Bluetooth 4.0.

The TM-Spy Android app, at the moment, is less advanced, and uses only (I think) standard Bluetooth via Pairing, so it needs a different ELM-type dongle. Later, it will catch up, and probably support the BT 4.0 dongle, as well.

So, for now, ride the crest of advancement ... try iPad if it is gen 3 or later.

There are two ways to get a User Plots file copied into the iOS app's working memory:

1. Use the iTunes program on a PC or Mac to Copy the file from that PC or Mac computer into the USB-attached phone or tablet app's appropriate private memory.

2. What I do with the iPad, to avoid using another computer: In my Dropbox account, I placed my User Plots file in the "Apps/TM-Spy/Copy to TM-Spy" folder. I enabled my TM-Spy app's Dropbox option in Settings, logging into my Dropbox account. Then, whenever I start the iOS version of TM-Spy from fully stopped, it will detect and download any current or later version of my User Plots file, the file named "spyvarparmlist.csv".

Note: I use the free "Nocs" iOS app to see and edit the text lines in my ".csv" file in my Dropbox. I have not found a suitable csv-file spreadsheet editor that will save the spreadsheet back in the "csv" format. Perhaps someone has a better suggestion?

Note: I use the free "Nocs" iOS app to see and edit the text lines in my ".csv" file in my Dropbox. I have not found a suitable csv-file spreadsheet editor that will save the spreadsheet back in the "csv" format. Perhaps someone has a better suggestion?

Isn't Apple Numbers free? It saves in CSV using the send to command.

New release coming Monday (version 0.1.21 waiting for review by Apple).

Filtering, if enabled, is now done after capturing all the data so the same trace can later be plotted with a different filter and set of recipes to view data from other filtered frames. This removes the need for a separate "save all" recipe.

Here is the final Brick voltages plot with all the correct data and scales for both x-axis and y-axis. When viewing the other plot types when there are more than two plots tapping the right axis scale will switch the scale displayed to the other plot's scale and the color will change to match the plot color.

IMG_0208.PNG

Last edited:
1. The vertical axis (like the blue values above) often repeat one value twice, or skip a value, but the other three above APPEAR to be uniformly spaced.

Nice feature, that tapping the right-side axis values changes the axis values to show the scale of the same-color graph line, in the Full-Scale plot style.

2. The horizontal time axis still needs some work to make the uneven or too-rounded values match the evenly spaced tic marks, I think. Perhaps deciding upon evenly spaced values, and then drawing the tic marks to match would work better?

Version v0.1.22 exhibits both of these scaling problems in various different plots and different data.
But, the axis values are there in all the plots that I tested.

Last edited:
The vertical axis blue values repeat one value twice, but the other three are great.

The horizontal time axis still needs some work to make the uneven or too-rounded values match the even tic marks, I think.
That's just due to rounding when the number is displayed. If there were more digits you would see the differences.

==============
Here it is with a small adjustment to the scaling rules. Keep in mind an equation is used to generate these scales so all the values are evenly spaced. It is just the resolution of the numbers shown that makes it look like they are not. So you see what looks like skipped or missing values.

Time scale resolution increased so it looks more linear.

IMG_0210.PNG

Last edited: