Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking a bit more at the data in the 00E frames, I observe a second trace in bytes D3 and D4, as shown below. To see the detail better, I have zoomed in (to 4x) on the leftmost data ... What do you see?

View attachment 173310

To me, the upper (red) data looks like a derivative of (a mathamatic term for the slope of) the lower data. So, it might possibly represent the power or current used to move the steering mechanism by the power steering. Yes, it would be nice to know what it really represents.

Data bytes D5 and D6 seem to be essentially constant. Bytes D7 and D8 seem to be some blocky square shaped waveform, with some unknown (to me) meaning.

Cheers.
Gary,

The steering angle is found in the first two bytes with the pattern below:
steering position: (b0<<8) + b - 8200 / 10 = degree turned

Byte 7 seems to be a CRC check. Bytes 3/4 might be the velocity at which the wheel is being turned i.e. a quick sharp left vs a smooth turn

Could you share the custom recipe file that generated the steering output, I'd love to see a working example of the file format I need to follow.

Sure, happy to help others ...
A copy of my latest User Plots file (spyvarparmlist.csv) should be available here:
Dropbox - Public

Let us know if that link does not allow you to get a copy of the file, as I believe that it should work.

There are many Recipes for 800-Plots that help investigate unknown data.
Note that Recipes use the "human" D1 through D8 numbering, not the "programmer" b0 through b7 notation.

Please use at your own risk, since the file contains assumptions, and might contain errors.

Last edited:
Is the "steering position" the rotation of the steering wheel, in degrees, from straight ahead?

Is the "position" fairly well calibrated in each car?
I will try to check mine, for zero and +/- 360 degrees, if that is possible.
Wouldn't there be much more than 360 degrees of turn possible, on the car? I wonder if it's able to keep track or broadcast a different value once it's turned past 360. Do we know if the broadcast is coming from the steering column or the rack and pinion?

My "Steering Pot" plot in post #239 shows a peak of about 400 degrees (over 360 degrees) of right rotation as I was backing out of the driveway and then turning (perhaps near max rotation) into the street.

So, lock-to-lock of the steering wheel might be around 800 degrees, if the calibration of the car and the Recipe are accurate. When I drive this morning to the Tesla OC Group meeting (over 40 people signed up), I will try to capture a lock-to-lock low speed turning operation, and observe the steering wheel rotations.

Can anybody else capture the same operation for comparison?

For example, in an empty parking lot or other safe location, drive slowly straight ahead, turn the steering wheel 180 degrees, hold, go to 360 degrees, hold, then gently to the "lock" (maximum rotation) position, hold, then recover to straight ahead ... and repeat in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
A data capture of msgID 106 appears to have at least two useful values, something indicating GoPedal position, and a speed-related value. Both probably need better scaling to get the GoPed position in percent, and the Speed in mph.

At the end of the data capture, the car was stopped, in Park, and I pressed the "Motivator" Pedal three times, so I can clearly see that the data originates from pressing the GoPedal. Being able to capture the pedal position in Park should make it easier to do a test and get a reading for a full-press, and then scale that value to 100%.

image.png

The second (red) trace appears to be speed related. At the start I sat in a parking spot while making sure that the data-gathering was working, then backed out of the spot ... and you can see a small negative speed indicated while I reversed. Notice that some time was spent at traffic lights, with no motion and zero pedal.

However, how can one explain the periods of no pedal but substantial speed, even acceleration, to around 40 mph?

Yes, TACC ... a very good feature, but with a few improvements still needed.

Here is a capture of msgID 102 during a whole Supercharging session, from about 25% to 90%. This msgID appears to contain at least Pack Voltage and Current, possibly as reported by the BMS module. That data occurs 100 times a second, but this capture only saved 1 of each 50 frames, for a smaller capture file of only 2 f/s.

Here, that X_102... file is graphed by TM-Spy using a User Plot which displays the Pack voltage in red, and the power (kW) going into the Pack in blue (kW = current in amps times voltage in volts divided by 1000).

image.png

One can see the pack voltage rise as more current is forced into the 96 "bricks". Since the charger was serving two arches, and another car was already charging in the other stall, my car got only about 54 kW at the beginning, instead of the almost 110 kW that a charger can deliver, under normal, good circumstances.

At about the 16 minute mark, the other car finished charging, disconnected, and drove away, and the charging power climbed to about 87 kW, which was as much as the car's BMS would allow, having already started reducing (tapering off) the charging current as the battery gets fuller, and probably warmer.

Notice the interesting 3-minute "big dip" starting at the 20 minute mark, of unknown origin. Might pack heating have temporarily slowed the charging until the cooling system caught up? After that, we see pretty much the "standard" tapering off until the end of charging at about 57 minutes.

The slight negative power flow at the beginning and end is the Power-Out being used to run the car, with more being used at about 63 minutes as I drove away. Yes, there were empty spaces available as I was talking to another owner before I noticed the charging was complete ... which was not obvious to even the owner.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
After a service center visit mine doesn't work any more. Is it just me? Is everyone else's version still working?

Uh oh. Which firmware version?

Mine still works fine. Did they update your firmware at SC or no?
Seeing estimated pack capacity on my classic S85 continuing to increase with the warmer temps. Now up to 74.4kWh (up from 73.7kWh).

What's your battery odometer? What do you regularly charge to? My S85 shows 75.7 kWh with about 15 K and I regularly charge to 75-80%

My bricks are remarkably well balanced for almost never range charging.

I do not charge every day, but when I do, it is usually to 90% unless I am in a hurry. The car is now 17 months old. This screen from TM-Spy v0.1.13 is after my last Supercharge to 90%, having driven only about 0.2 mile and stopped. The car is on the recent revision 2.17.37 software, and I am using the LELink Bluetooth 4.0 OBD dongle, from Amazon.

Note that the serial number part of my VIN is "obfuscated" using the "Obscure VIN" switch in Settings. The presumed capacity shows as 77.0 kWh, which is apparently not bad, but probably in warmer conditions than many, with a lot fewer miles, and with a lot fewer charges. What do other low-mileage S85's show for "capacity"?

image.png

It would be helpful to have every 6th brick ("cell") voltage in a lighter shade of blue, to better see the presumed module boundries.

Last edited:
Reactions: apacheguy
After a service center visit mine doesn't work any more. Is it just me? Is everyone else's version still working?

David,
My LELink and TM-Spy on my iPad 3 are working fine, but you could meet with us and we could try my hardware on your car. Is your Adapter cable plugged into the TDC?

A week from Saturday, on May 7th, our EV Gathering meets at about 8 AM for breakfast at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry, in southern California. We are usually there until at least 11 AM, and at least two Tesla Model S's should be there (one is mine). This GC has a wide variety of good food, and is located just South of the 60 freeway, about 4 miles West of the 57/60 interchange. You may come and visit and chat with us, if you so desire.

Reactions: David99
Hi, i just ordered OBD2 adapter cable from panjo.com for my 2015+ Model S and would like to ask you what OBD adapter is compatible with iOS version. I found only LELink which is Bluetooth LE 4 compatible. Is it possible to use some cheapets OBD adapter with WiFi?

Hi, i just ordered OBD2 adapter cable from panjo.com for my 2015+ Model S and would like to ask you what OBD adapter is compatible with iOS version. I found only LELink which is Bluetooth LE 4 compatible. Is it possible to use some cheapets OBD adapter with WiFi?
Yes, you can use WiFi with the iOS version of TM-Spy but it is more complicated to setup and use as it does not auto connect.

For setup you need to manually set the IP address and Subnet Mask for the WiFi OBDII adapter. If you don't then your iPhone will think it can connect to the internet through the WiFi OBDII adapter and not use your phone's data plan.

If you use WiFi at home or work that is within range of your car so it is currently selected then each time you start the app you will need to manually select the WiFi OBDII adapter as your WiFi network before TM-Spy can use it. Apple does not allow apps to touch the network settings.

With the LELink you just plug it in and run the app. It auto-connects and there is no pairing needed for Bluetooth 4.0 LE.

I highly recommend the LELink. TM-Spy also supports the H580, KiWi 3,Vgate and Viecar that support Bluetooth 4.0 LE. However the Xtool mini is not ELM327 compatible so can not be used ( unless Xtools releases their proprietary protocol to me). Also the Autophix V200 and dnt OBD2 adapters are limited to ICE vehicles with no chance of working with EVs.

Last edited: