Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using UMC charger only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

My delivery date is 27th November can’t wait. I ordered the standard version.

I’m starting to have some anxiety over charging. I have a driveway with a porch with a small window and a plug socket.

I can’t get a proper 7kw charger , long story so I have to use the 3 pin plug as my primary source for charging.

I will be going about 100 miles a week I know it’s nothing compared to others but surely I can just charge it once a week on a Saturday or Sunday for 12 hours using the 3 pin plug?

Does anyone else Ailey rely on the 3 pin plug?

I've been using simple 3 pin plug charging for over a year now. I do less than 200 miles per week, and it all works fine. I don't think we low mileage folk need the extra expense of a 7kW charger.
I did buy a high quality 13amp extension lead as the UMC would not reach my nearest 13amp socket. My average charge rate is just over 9 miles per hour of charging.

If I had to use the UMC all the time, then I'd charge every night. The reason has to do with the fact that the fuse in a 13 A plug runs warm at the continuous 10 A drawn when charging, so shorter charging periods each day, rather than a longer charging period once a week, allows less time for heat to build up. This is particularly relevant if the outlet being used isn't fairly new.

Fitting a commando outlet, or any other outlet specifically for vehicle charging, needs to be done in compliance with the regs. In England and Wales it's notifiable work under Part P, as well. I costed up the basic materials for a 32 A commando outlet installation here: Basic charge point costs

The material costs for a 16 A commando would be very slightly cheaper, perhaps by about a tenner.

Reactions: arg
Hi

I’m starting to have some anxiety over charging. I have a driveway with a porch with a small window and a plug socket.

I can’t get a proper 7kw charger , long story so I have to use the 3 pin plug as my primary source for charging.

I will be going about 100 miles a week I know it’s nothing compared to others but surely I can just charge it once a week on a Saturday or Sunday for 12 hours using the 3 pin plug?

With that mileage you will easily cover it with the 3 pin plug... but you may not be aware that there are adapters that you can buy for the supplied UMC charge point that can also allow 16 or even 32 amp charging (commando). A search on this forum will give you chapter and verse on the technical issues that your electrician should be aware of.

You shouldn't have an issue using the UMC. I would only suggest to charge daily for less time instead once per week. I would also have a sparky to check the socket just to be sure that is of good quality. Keep in mind that when using the UMC the car draws 2kw/h and things can get heated up.
On personal experience I used it while on holidays on a daily basis. We were driving anything between 50-80 miles per day. No issues at all.

To add to the comments above, assuming the standard 13A socket is in good health, it's worth making sure that your arrangement with the UMC, socket and small window doesn't put any strain or leverage on the plug. Any potential for overheating will be much worse if the plug is accidently half-removed from the socket, due to the cable routing, etc.

Think SR+ is 56kWh pack, so charging @ 10A from 245V will take about 24hrs, that is from 0% to 100%. Like others have said, suggest you charge more frequently for shorter periods and possibly turn the current down a bit (in the car) to help reduce the heating in the wiring/plug. Also as mentioned, find a good way to properly secure the 3pin into the UMC charger body, this is just a press fit and doesn't feel very secure. You might also invest in another one so you can leave it in situ and carry the spare in the car, 3rd party ones are available and will work fine: EV Home Charging Cable | Type 2 to 3 Pin plug | 10 Amp | 5/10 Metre | Mode 2 |

Hi

I do at home.

I drive 80 miles a day and have a SR+. 25k miles in and no problem with range anxiety. My main charger is at work but I'm working at home half a week now.

You will get into a routine very quickly and find local 50kw chargers near you that are your little backup if you need a quick top-up. Also look at car parks with free charging (usually 7kw) and the SR+ can charge from 40 to 90% in around 4hrs. I just park my car up at these on a Sunday if needs be, and I have a nice walk to lose some pounds :)

Get zap map and find your local chargers to give you some confidence if you do get low and need to rush out as the 3 pin is slow.

As with others, I used a standard 240v domestic plug for about six months which most of the time was perfect for the 20% charge I need every (low cost) night to bring myself up to 80%. On a normal day, I'll drive about 100 miles. However, sometimes I needed to do more mileage and that's when you notice that it does take rather a long time on a standard socket to top-up. I therefore installed what is called a Commando socket in the UK (mine is 32A)...it cost me about £250 installed here in France and I'm really pleased with it. I can charge 20% in 1hr 50 minutes. Outside of destination trips which are dealt with by the charger network, I just can't see myself ever needing to charge faster domestically.

I’m using the 3 pin plug until a charger is fitted, having recently moved house. Daily commute is 100 miles (total, not each way!), mostly motorway, and it’s on charge for about 13 hours each evening. Puts in about 30% each night so just about manage to keep enough charge to last through the week, then back to 90% by Monday morning as it’s not used much over the weekend. Have only had to supercharge once in the last 4 weeks (model 3 lr), when I just put 10% in to top it up.

Hi all,
Might be a dumb question (I know nothing about electrics) but...

I have a double outside plug socket, can this be changed for a commando socket Or does a commando socket require new wiring to the electric box?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,
Might be a dumb question (I know nothing about electrics) but...

I have a double outside plug socket, can this be changed for a commando socket Or does a commando socket require new wiring to the electric box?

Thanks in advance

The simple answer is not that easily, as an outlet for electric vehicle charging has to have a bit better level of protection than an ordinary outdoor outlet, according to the regs. It also depends on how the existing outlet is wired. If it's a part of a ring final, then the chances are new wiring may be needed. If it's wired as a radial, then it may be possible to fit a 16 A interlocked commando outlet. There will be a need for additional protection, but that can be installed inside the enclosure on to which the commando is fitted. There may also be a need to fit an earth electrode, or some other form of open PEN device, depending on the type of earthing system the installation has.

One thing to bare in mind is that the UMC is described as a backup option, it isn't really designed to be used for constant use, it is also not fully water proof, more splash proof. If your relying as using it as your only charging option it may be worth buying a spare as a backup so your not stuck if it dies (which on the FB groups seems to be quite common, especially for those using it all the time.) It is also worth making sure you use a socket that is designed for high constant use, there are some sites that list sockets as for EV's, otherwise you can get to the point where they crack/melt. To help avoid it you would be better to charge it up daily and therefore your putting less stress/heat on the socket to. Tesla also recommend to have you car plugged in whenever you can.