Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Waze On Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this online and it works in the USA but was wondering if it might work in Australian Tesla's. Can anyone confirm please?
Anything that uses the car’s web browser to display content (as this does) won’t work as you want in Australia or any other country where a web browser isn’t allowed to be used while the car is in gear.

Reactions: Astro66 and moa999
I found this online and it works in the USA but was wondering if it might work in Australian Tesla's. Can anyone confirm please? Cheers CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Android auto Mini Box Adapter For Tesla Model 3/X/Y/S CarPlay Wireless Activator Navigation Spotify Siri iOS16 New

You can see the video here
there's literally people mentioning they use this a few posts above

Reactions: Power Hungry
...and they are in Dubai and Toronto (Canada), where the web browser is permitted to work when the car is in gear.

From the CarLinkit page linked from @Power Hungry 's post: "Please make sure that the vehicle can open the browser while driving. If the browser cannot be opened, CarPlay/Android auto cannot be used."

Do that test in your car in the country you intend to use the CarLinkit product before ordering it.

Oooops! I missed that, thanks. The reason I asked was that I'd read on these pages that the browser shuts down on AU Tesla's and that poster was in Dubai.

Tip: You can use your phone to send Waze alerts as a bluetooth "phone call". Then, it will interrupt whatever is playing in your Tesla and send the alert over the speakers.

IMG_1878.jpeg

Traffic aware navigation on the Tesla native nav app has improved a lot, so I don't miss Waze.

Only if you are over the speed limit

But that's only if Waze is actually working on the Tesla and that was the original question... is there a way to use Waze on the Tesla screen?

But that's only if Waze is actually working on the Tesla and that was the original question... is there a way to use Waze on the Tesla screen?
No. You run Waze on your phone with the settings I showed above. Open Waze on your phone & keep it in the car (with Bluetooth connected, but your Tesla’s music source need not be Bluetooth).Then when there is a speed camera & you’re over the speed limit, Waze on your phone will make a Bluetooth phone call to your Tesla and warn you.

See the self explanatory note in the link that you posted:
【Note】Please make sure that the vehicle can open the browser while driving. If the browser cannot be opened, CarPlay/Android auto cannot be used.(Not support Tesla in Taiwan China, Hongkong China, Australia)

I just don't understand (yet) how the whole thing works.
The CarLinkit device runs a web server which serves the CarPlay or Android Auto UI - that is the CarPlay interface is delivered as a web page. You use the car’s web browser to access this web server.

So if you can’t use the web browser, as you can’t in Australia when the car is in R or D, then you can’t access the functionality of the CarLinkit product.

The Tesla navigation is quite good. If you have premium connectivity it has live traffic and re-routes based on that, but it doesn't have speed camera alerts. Though using TACC you have little excuse for getting pinged by a speed trap.
You get re-routing and trip time based on the traffic exactly the same with standard connectivity but cannot see coloured live traffic on the map.

I usually drive with Waze open on my phone on the charging mat and find it very helpful for cameras, broken down cars, hazards in road including potholes.
Occasionally I glance to check what it thinks the speed limit is when Tesla is showing me something unlikely, seems to be more accurate too.
I would love an option to have the UGC (user generated content) of Waze overlaid on the Tesla nav screen.
I do not know how universal this is; in Brazil Waze and Google Maps are effectively identical including all the warnings and traffic density issues. My spouse and I regularly compare them in our routine city driving and their nearly instant recognition of heavy traffic, accidents, blitz (the local police search for drunk drivers, stolen cars etc), and alternatives.
In NA and EU we've not compared them because we're using Tesla maps, which do not have most of that data, although the realtime traffic updates keep improving. There we always use Waze or Google Maps on a smartphone.

And just have the phone on the charging pod which is just below the screen.
Be careful. I'm not certain this is legal. You can only have the phone visible for a drivers aid if "the phone is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle" (NSW Road Rule 300(1)(b)). Resting in the charging pod may be deemed to be not "secured". It'll probably be up to the interpretation of the copper who pulls you over.

I do not know how universal this is; in Brazil Waze and Google Maps are effectively identical including all the warnings and traffic density issues.
Not the case in Australia - a police report in Waze doesn't sync to Google Maps, and a police report in Google Maps doesn't sync back to Waze

They remain independent of each other.

Heck, I see more speed camera reports on Apple Maps than Google Maps - but of course Waze remains the most used of all 3.