Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it's not in the release notes, there seems to be some changes to AP/NOA behavior with this release. I was able to do some longer driving last night and noticed that for several problematic exit ramps, the car was much smoother taking them. A few times the car did this so well I forgot I was on NOA.

I also noticed that the car slows down a lot more for curves on local roads. It used to slow down for some curves, but in the past, it would take some other turns way too fast for my liking. Now I never feel like I need to take over. That said I think some people might find the car is taking it too slow around some curves. But I appreciate that Tesla is finetuning to try to find the right balance.

Overall lane changing is still too tame for aggressive city drivers. My NOA detected it needed to move over to take an offramp, and it turned on the signals just as a bunch of cars blocked the lane change. I then had to wait 10-15 secs for those cars to overtake me before the car moved over. That's fine, but sitting in the same lane with the blinker on all that time just invites more people to prevent you from moving over. The car shouldn't engage the blinkers until it detects an opening. And then it needs to quickly and assertively move over. Without braking where possible.

Love the new visualizations. Pickups are showing as pickups instead of vans. Oncoming traffic is showing most of the time. It doesn't detect every car, particularly if they are drifting away from the median or if there's a turning lane or wide median.

Side median pedestrian and bike detection seems better, as I saw most of those show up in the visualizations where they rarely did before. It seems like the overall frame rate of the visualization is improved. I can't tell if this is due to better vision, or just better rendering.

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod
Unfortunately Joe Mode also turns down the turn signal indicators, which IMO are already a bit too soft. For that, I actually turned Joe Mode back off. I might submit this feedback to Tesla. I'm ok with Joe Mode turning down ALL UI sounds, but then standard turn signal ticks should be a bit louder.

customize different sound settings would be ideal.

Reactions: WilliamG
So are people who bought FSD *after* purchasing their car (as opposed to including the FSD option when the car was purchased) included in this initial wider release of V10 or are they relegated to a spot later in the queue?

I purchased FSD after I took delivery and still got the V10 update yesterday. Got FSD during that brief period around March of this year where it was available to me for just $2000.

Had no problem with come to me out of garage in a driving rainstorm. Backout of garage just like I did, pivoted and came right to me. Faster than I thought. Also pretty accurate. Nervous yes, but what the heck. My 80 year old father watched, and said. What's next? Flying cars. I said maybe sooner than you think....:)

Follow up. It rained all night here in MI. So I tried the same routine in the dark, and again in rain after everyone left from dinner last night. Ended up in the front yard. Once in grass it kept going. 1st generation to the mass public. Well gotta start somewhere.

Like how it now shows double lines versus single on driving visualization. I am sure that means something. Zoom in and out. Not sure what that offers to me.

My wife chuckles on how I go from wanting to drive the S(hers) to getting all excited about the 3 with new bells and whistles. Yet she was doing Caroake while sitting and waiting for my sons piano practice to be over.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and SO16
Heading to the beach today, thankfully EAP seems to drive much the same along the 3 hour route. It does like to change lanes (to passing lane and back) for no reason sometimes, even with no cars anywhere near me.

That said I can see my wife taking the car for (ladies) beach weekends just for caraoke. Showed her it on the way to drop her off at the airport and she loved it.

Tried advanced summon, worked ok though slow, still prefer just walking to my car. Would be nice in a downpour though.

So are people who bought FSD *after* purchasing their car (as opposed to including the FSD option when the car was purchased) included in this initial wider release of V10 or are they relegated to a spot later in the queue?
They are included in the same batch of people. I got the update and so did a friend who purchased after purchasing their car. We both got the update within 30 minutes of each other.

While it's not in the release notes, there seems to be some changes to AP/NOA behavior with this release. I was able to do some longer driving last night and noticed that for several problematic exit ramps, the car was much smoother taking them. A few times the car did this so well I forgot I was on NOA.

I also noticed that the car slows down a lot more for curves on local roads. It used to slow down for some curves, but in the past, it would take some other turns way too fast for my liking. Now I never feel like I need to take over. That said I think some people might find the car is taking it too slow around some curves. But I appreciate that Tesla is finetuning to try to find the right balance.

Overall lane changing is still too tame for aggressive city drivers. My NOA detected it needed to move over to take an offramp, and it turned on the signals just as a bunch of cars blocked the lane change. I then had to wait 10-15 secs for those cars to overtake me before the car moved over. That's fine, but sitting in the same lane with the blinker on all that time just invites more people to prevent you from moving over. The car shouldn't engage the blinkers until it detects an opening. And then it needs to quickly and assertively move over. Without braking where possible.

Love the new visualizations. Pickups are showing as pickups instead of vans. Oncoming traffic is showing most of the time. It doesn't detect every car, particularly if they are drifting away from the median or if there's a turning lane or wide median.

Side median pedestrian and bike detection seems better, as I saw most of those show up in the visualizations where they rarely did before. It seems like the overall frame rate of the visualization is improved. I can't tell if this is due to better vision, or just better rendering.
I agree with you on lane changes. It's much more assertive than it used to be. However there's still room for improvement. I particularly agree with you on the timing/sequencin of the blinker usage. It should identify an opening THEN turn on the blinker and THEN complete the lane change. Other drivers either get nervous or aggressive when a blinker is turned on before an opening exists.

Reactions: 299792458
Unfortunately Joe Mode also turns down the turn signal indicators, which IMO are already a bit too soft. For that, I actually turned Joe Mode back off. I might submit this feedback to Tesla. I'm ok with Joe Mode turning down ALL UI sounds, but then standard turn signal ticks should be a bit louder.

I agree about the turn signals but everything else is minimally toned down, almost can’t tell a difference otherwise.

Tried smart summon last night. I feel like it’s very cautious which is a good thing while it is learning and improving. However, not knowing how it will act in a certain situation or how it will plan it’s route or simply it might stop while a car is behind gives me major anxiety. For now it’s a good trick.

I would like the ability to draw my own route for this time being or refresh button to draw new routes until one seems good enough. Last night in a pretty open parking lot it decides to go between two of the only cars to get to me. Why?