Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 release notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've been missing out on data revenue from S owners since January 2018 when the first S cars ran out of "free" data but keep getting it free anyway because Tesla can't figure out how to bill their own existing customers for a service they're already giving them.

Ditto the 3 owners now beyond 1 year free data who are still getting it free.

That's without even getting into "new" customers for data like the SR/SR+ folks.

My Model 3 includes premium connectivity for life of car (was final configured before that benefit went away). If I were to get second Tesla, they all say 1 year premium connectivity included, but I know nothing of what will happen after that 1st year.

Based on your comments, it seems Tesla hasn't figured that out either. As far as I know, they are just now starting to have customers for Model 3 at least that would be beyond the 1st year of premium connectivity included / persisting.

I bought my M3 because I wanted a safe, well-designed electric vehicle that would usher me into the (autonomous) driving future. I did not pay upwards of 60k for Netflix, games, and Caraoke. I understand that these may be nice addons and thrilling to some. I mean no disrespect. But it seems to me that going from version 9 to version 10 should focus on real operational improvements, rather than eye-candy, entertainment. I am eager for the enhancement of my M3 driving experience, rather than the enhancements to my entertainment while waiting for a charge.

So I am hopeful that the focus of the order of the release notes comments is not an indication of the priority given the later over the former. Let's hope it is a major operational upgrade.
I knew it would only be a few posted before the whiners started in. :rolleyes:

"I like the free stuff, but only the free stuff that I want."

But it seems to me that going from version 9 to version 10 should focus on real operational improvements, rather than eye-candy, entertainment. I am eager for the enhancement of my M3 driving experience, rather than the enhancements to my entertainment while waiting for a charge.

I am sure V10 does focus on real AP/FSD operational improvements. The release notes just highlight the games and eye candy because Tesla thinks it helps their marketing. But V10 will bring a lot of improvements to AP and FSD. The changes to the driver visualization imply a lot of improvements to the NN. Elon has hinted that Smart Park will probably come in V10.1. And I am guessing the traffic light and stop sign response feature will probably come in V10.1 or V10.2.

Reactions: lukex4
I am sure V10 does focus on real AP/FSD operational improvements. The release notes just highlight the games and eye candy because Tesla thinks it helps their marketing. But V10 will bring a lot of improvements to AP and FSD. The changes to the driver visualization imply a lot of improvements to the NN. Elon has hinted that Smart Park will probably come in V10.1. And I am guessing the traffic light and stop sign response feature will probably come in V10.1 or V10.2.

Hmm, I haven’t gotten the sense Smart Park (presumably the opposite of Smart Summon) is that close. Maybe I missed something.

Hmm, I haven’t gotten the sense Smart Park (presumably the opposite of Smart Summon) is that close. Maybe I missed something.

Well, I am just going on Elon's tweet that Smart Park would "probably" be in V10.1 We don't know anything about Smart Park at this point. Presumably, Smart Park will combine Smart Summon with Auto Park. Tesla may have been working on Smart Park behind the scenes in parallel with their work on Smart Summon.

A lot of interesting but useless stuff, and unfortunately missing a lot of the most requested features such as Sentry Mode viewing, text msg integration/Carplay/AA.

The real meat of this update will be whatever improvements have been made to AP algorithms/training under the hood.
Thoroughly agree. Unless there are very significant improvements in unseen EAP and FSD, then V10 should be merely V9 2019.44.
It's nearly impossible for me to believe that any Tesla owner gives a damn about something called "cuphead" -- sheesh, gimmeabreak, virtually all of us are more than 14 years old.
The other features, missing for so long as to be almost deplorable, are waypoints for navigation and extensive voice control for functions besides navigation and music.

I have my fingers crossed that this software is what makes Autosteer, NoA, and early FSD reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: malou
My Model 3 includes premium connectivity for life of car (was final configured before that benefit went away). If I were to get second Tesla, they all say 1 year premium connectivity included, but I know nothing of what will happen after that 1st year.

Based on your comments, it seems Tesla hasn't figured that out either. As far as I know, they are just now starting to have customers for Model 3 at least that would be beyond the 1st year of premium connectivity included / persisting.

Yup.

Model S vehicles sold after they stopped offering lifetime data began passing beyond the "free data" period January 2018 (and more do so every month).

Model 3 vehicles began passing beyond the "free data" period in the same way last month (and more will do so every future month).

X vehicles will begin passing out of free data next month (and more every month after).

That's all cash Tesla is leaving on the table, while continuing to give those folks free data, because of their own basic incompetence at being a company.

Plus all the SR/SR+ folks they could be getting $ from as well.

I'm not really sure what all the hype is about regarding a mediocre upgrade. When I Google "Tesla V10" I get no less that 2 dozen articles and videos all regurgitating the same spin from Tesla's PR team. Instead of a robust upgrade that should include much requested features like being able to view sentry videos on the screen, we get a gimmicky upgrade that has a "Joe Mode" which will be used by <.1% of owners, a caraoke mode (Seriously Tesla, caraoke??), a netflix app which subscribers already have on their phone and can stream without needing to be on WiFi, and a much hyped, wordy explanation of a video game no one has ever heard of (Cuphead).

I have no problem with this particular upgrade, in fact I look forward to getting it someday, but the hype for this one seems a bit over the top.

That unfortunately can't be used by us SR+ owner... Car Play/Android Auto is the only viable solution.

I thought it was stated that with V10, they would allow us SR+ owners to purchase the web browser/data for ~$100/yr. I'll share my HotSpot with the car if I can use streaming from the head unit with WiFi, much easier interface than touching my phone for spotify while driving.

I think we can infer that Smart Park is a sub-feature of Full Self Driving - restricted to a few hundred meters with a reduced set of issues it has to deal with, albeit the most difficult ones.

Basically it's FSD in the parking lot without a driver.

Well, yes. Like I said before, I imagine Smart Park will combine Smart Summon And Auto Park. Like Smart Summon, it will only work within 150 ft. The car will reverse summon and auto park to that location. It is possible that the driver may even be able to pin a location on the phone app to tell the car where to park.

That's all cash Tesla is leaving on the table, while continuing to give those folks free data, because of their own basic incompetence at being a company.

I don't necc agree with you on this. First, the free data was a selling point and makes people excited about their Tesla. We all know, the best salespeople are current owners. So make those users super happy with lifetime charging, lifetime data and streaming and you culture an enthusiastic sales staff at little expense.

I am no expert, but I know you can buy cellular data in bulk. My guess is Tesla owns a "cellular company" which resells the data to themselves in great quantities. I would bet the cost for the initial set of users to get free data > 1 yr is trivial. Correct, it would not be trivial if for everyone for all time, esp for video streaming, but honestly, the amount of data used for basic stuff probably has a trivial marginal cost for Tesla.

Mobile virtual network operator - Wikipedia

I can buy a data-only plan on an MVNO for $20/mo for 5 GB of data. Let's just presume this is a 100% markup and actual cost is $10/mo. We're talking, rounded, an actual cost to Tesla of $100/yr per vehicle with free data.

I would be aggregating this with the required connectivity even if you didn't have 'free data' it's half at best, so $50/yr/vehicle. I think in the end, this is a trivial cost to them, even if they could bill it out at $100-200/yr

Last edited:
It is possible that the driver may even be able to pin a location on the phone app to tell the car where to park.

I was wondering if the car would find a spot on its own or we would tell it in general or specific where to park.

Right now, my goal is always to park as far away from other cars as possible. I don't mind walking.

This would be especially true with self-park, why park close, go to the far end of the lot where you neither get door dings nor bother the "walkers" who have to go to their car like the animals that they are.

Reactions: WilliamG
I was wondering if the car would find a spot on its own or we would tell it in general or specific where to park.

Right now, my goal is always to park as far away from other cars as possible. I don't mind walking.

This would be especially true with self-park, why park close, go to the far end of the lot where you neither get door dings nor bother the "walkers" who have to go to their car like the animals that they are.

Yes. And with Smart Summon, you could also summon your car back to you from that distant parking space. Win-Win!

I don't necc agree with you on this. First, the free data was a selling point and makes people excited about their Tesla. We all know, the best salespeople are current owners. So make those users super happy with lifetime charging, lifetime data and streaming and you culture an enthusiastic sales staff at little expense.

Great- but has nothing to do with what I wrote.

The money left on the table are the majority of buyers who purchased after they stopped offering lifetime free data.

Those folks were told explicitly, up front, they'd be required to pay for data after X amount of time.

Which has come and gone and Tesla still hasn't figured out how to bill them for it but is still providing the service at cost to Tesla.

Even worse by virtue of not figuring out how to do basic billing for an existing service they also make upset customers buying SR and SR+ cars who can't get data services at all.

I am no expert, but I know you can buy cellular data in bulk. My guess is Tesla owns a "cellular company" which resells the data to themselves in great quantities.

Nope.

AT&T provides the connectivity.

I can buy a data-only plan on an MVNO for $20/mo for 5 GB of data. Let's just presume this is a 100% markup and actual cost is $10/mo. We're talking, rounded, an actual cost to Tesla of $100/yr per vehicle with free data.

Tesla has roughly 700,000 cars on the road today (they're targeting close to 900k by end of year) That's 70 million dollars. A year. That it's costing them to give it away free if your guesses at #s are correct. And that # will get another 50-100 million dollars, per year, higher going forward.

That's a lot of money for a company that has rarely even managed to turn a profit.

FWIW most other car companies that offer data plans in cars charge more than $100/year for it- and nobody seems to mind.

But then those companies have competent accounting and billing departments- Tesla not so much.

Reactions: PoitNarf
That wasn’t what I’d understood about the feature but will definitely give it a try. As I recall, the intent was to allow us to build routes on normal mapping software or EV route planners which would give us the possibility of multiple waypoints (specific charge stops, etc.) while waiting for that and alternate routes to be added into Tesla Nav.

Thanks!

So, I tested this using several different address sources (and addresses) and, after some errors during a period something must’ve been going on with Tesla, it does seem to work intermittently. The car sometimes gets the address but then, somehow, finds multiple versions for me to select from. The fact that, when I send a route (incorrectly), Tesla nav creates a route with three turns and then gives up is different than what’s been reported by others saying the route just gets overridden by the nav so maybe it’s just my car.

Thanks or helping me figure that out.

As for those who’ve “disagreed” with my post, I don’t know how you can disagree with my recollection (memory is a personal and flawed thing) and it would probably be better if you replied and explained why my memory was wrong but, hey, small and easy button to press. I did search for the original description (tweet or blog?) of how this feature was going to work but couldn’t find it. What I did find was a lot of people commenting about the same confusion I had (missed those when it first came out - otherwise I would’ve known) so I’d like to think it’s because the original description wasn’t clear rather than me (and those people) being stupid(er).

Still, we need alternate route choices and waypoints to make Tesla nav on par with other nav tools (were you guys disagreeing with that?) and it’s especially important when a destination doesn’t have available charging. Being able to manually add a “fuel” stop is old-school nav functionality.

IMHO

(probably doesn’t belong in this particular thread)

That wasn’t what I’d understood about the feature but will definitely give it a try. As I recall, the intent was to allow us to build routes on normal mapping software or EV route planners which would give us the possibility of multiple waypoints (specific charge stops, etc.) while waiting for that and alternate routes to be added into Tesla Nav.

Thanks!

Nope.

The feature sends the destination to the car, and the car plots its own route as if you'd just manually entered that address.

The only time the cars nav will ever include any sort of waypoint or more-than-just-route-to-final destination-with-no-stops is if your final destination exceeds the current range of the car- in which case it will self-add any supercharger stops it thinks would let you make it.

It's otherwise incapable of any sort of waypoint or multi-route features.

Teslas system lacks basic nav functionality that Garmin had working 15+ years ago.