Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Actual Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason I am aware of seems to be that it wants to see adequate lane markings "right now" in view. So, for example, driving down a four-lane road with a substantial median the "you can engage now" icon will be up between intersections, but disappear for a couple of seconds while passing through. You might think it is just being clever about not inviting you to start in an intersection, but I think the availability of markings hypothesis fits better to my observations.

FSDb will happily engage on roads with no lane markings, so I wouldn't expect it to refuse to engage based on lane markings. It will not, however, engage if your wheel is turned too tightly, as far as I can tell, or maybe it's when your turn signal is engaged. One of the two.

I wonder if V11 will engage on highways if the rain wiper speed is continuous or higher. For city streets it would only engage if auto wipers are at intermittent speed or off. But for highways that would be a regression from old AP, where autosteer would always work but sometimes disallow NOA lane changes if the rain is too hard.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Actually, you can’t leave
You can't leave? Get out of town.........

No seriously, every time I see that $15,000 quote I realize how my buy at $6000 affects my expectations. For me, with 60k miles on NOA, I got my return on investment early on in 2019, the rest is just entertainment. Driving me weekly back and forth to work, at 150 miles one way, for years, paid that off long ago. Wouldn't be even close to the same vehicle without that software. And it's gotten better and better over that time, bonus. But If I pain 15k just to play with in town, different story.......

Last edited:
Based on watching various YT's, seems this latest 11.3.4 has stricter engage criteria.
Sorry to quote myself but the below sounds more knowledgeable.
What I noticed is that the Autosteer icon disappears on rural surface streets. It will flash ons for half a second, then disappear again. If I'm quick enough and press the button to engage at just the right time, it enables and drives just fine. I'm on 2022.45.12 (FSD 11.3.3). It did not do this on the previous 10.x release

You can't leave? Get out of town.........

No seriously, every time I see that $15,000 quote I realize how my buy at $6000 affects my expectations. For me, with 60k miles on NOA, I got my return on investment early on in 2019, the rest is just entertainment. Driving me weekly back and forth to work, at 150 miles one way, for years, paid that off long ago. Wouldn't be even close to the same vehicle without that software. And it's gotten better and better over that time, bonus. But If I pain 15k just to play with in town, different story.......
"safety" is much more a concern than others when I am using FSD.

"safety" is much more a concern than others when I am using FSD.
I think safety has been the Achilles heal of beta. Most of the hard stops, phantom braking, dumb moves have likely been a by product of the car trying to be too safe and goes against the overall goal. For example, some of the old builds would hard brake when you were driving in a residential neighborhood at slow speeds and a frigging pedestrian is on the sidewalk 30 ft from the road. Absolutely no danger to that person, but brake away baby..

I just did a 20 mile mixed run.

I had a couple cases of the car trying to get into turn lanes for no reason at all, producing disengagements. I suspect the car would have jumped back to the through lane if given the chance, but I didn't feel like tolerating the tantrums.

It stopped at the end of an off ramp (where speeds are normally 45 mph), probably because there was a red light ahead. However, the stop was long before the controlled intersection.

FSD was supposed to move right into a lane for an exit, but was slow (perhaps because of Jersey walls and cones bordering the lane). So I indicated the lane change and the car wouldn't go. So I disengaged, changed lanes, and reengaged. FSD immediately moved back to the left. I disengaged again and made the exit manually. Note that FSD has been completing this exit without a problem for a while now.

I hit the thing where the FSD icon isn't available while I'm on a particular road (Georgetown Pike). Again, it seemed to have to do with the width of the road. Only when it widened (at a different location than last time), did the icon show up. The road is very well marked, with a fresh double yellow divider and white edge line.

I had a hard brake for 'almost stopped' cross traffic at an uncontrolled intersection. The car was just about stopped and FSD decided to brake hard as we passed. It was just like it used to brake for pedestrians who were moving into a crosswalk - where it would brake once the car was already in the crosswalk.

I think that was all the disengagements. It was not a good drive. This was all at a time with long shadows that were pretty much perpendicular to the roadway. I've never had this much trouble on this drive, and the shadows may be the source of the problem.

Oh, on a separate drive, the car was supposed to pull out onto a highway without a merge lane. It was a case of a secondary road that terminated perpendicular at the side of the highway; an unusual situation around here. The car tried to pull out at an appropriate moment, but didn't turn as it entered the nearest lane. It just moved out into the lane and partially blocked it. I took over and got the car moving. The whole thing qualified for a blowing horn from the closest driver.

I think safety has been the Achilles heal of beta. Most of the hard stops, phantom braking, dumb moves have likely been a by product of the car trying to be too safe and goes against the overall goal. For example, some of the old builds would hard brake when you were driving in a residential neighborhood at slow speeds and a frigging pedestrian is on the sidewalk 30 ft from the road. Absolutely no danger to that person, but brake away baby..

I have also noticed this phenomenon. Moreover, when bicycles are traveling in the same direction on the same side of the road, Tesla deliberately slows down, which is unnecessary.

But I believe the performance in the next version will be better.

I have also noticed this phenomenon. Moreover, when bicycles are traveling in the same direction on the same side of the road, Tesla deliberately slows down, which is unnecessary.

But I believe the performance in the next version will be better.
It gets better, though some find it hard to believe with each release. Man, V 10.2 would hard brake for a person on a bike 3 miles away!

I think someone mentioned a bit earlier or maybe in another thread driving too close to the roadway edge disables the option of enabling FSD. Chuck Cook noticed it recently in one of his videos.
I also get it when driving on a particular road near me. Two lanes, divided by a double yellow line, with white road edge lines. Almost a perfect road - but I suspect that the lane is considered too narrow by FSD. It will drive on it if engaged beforehand, but if disengaged will not reengage until I reach a part of the road where the road surface widens. Easily repeatable.

“I wonder if V11 will engage on highways if the rain wiper speed is continuous or higher. For city streets it would only engage if auto wipers are at intermittent speed or off. But for highways that would be a regression from old AP, where autosteer would always work but sometimes disallow NOA lane changes if the rain is too hard.”

It does. You just get the “FSD maybe degraded sue to poor weather” message. I drove in some pretty heavy rain Friday, and it worked fine.

It was worth $6K to me 5 years ago and $7K 3 years ago but I would never pay anything close to $15K - would subscribe for trips though.
Not sure what I paid in August 2021... $7000? Not sure. Whatever it was, it was too much. Paid $5000 for it in 2019, when I had the 3. Paid zero for it when I got my MPY. Fool me one, fool me twice, bit not three times!