Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Actual Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what I paid in August 2021... $7000? Not sure. Whatever it was, it was too much. Paid $5000 for it in 2019, when I had the 3. Paid zero for it when I got my MPY. Fool me one, fool me twice, bit not three times!
Prompted me to re-check - actually paid $5K in 2018 on my M3, not $6K. But I got it all back when I sold private party early 2020. It was the perfect time to sell; long wait for 3's and Y's both as the Y's had just come out.

FSD is moving in the right direction but very slowly. It will really help on the highway, have 2 trips planned covering around 7000 miles in the next 6 months.

Prompted me to re-check - actually paid $5K in 2018 on my M3, not $6K. But I got it all back when I sold private party early 2020. It was the perfect time to sell; long wait for 3's and Y's both as the Y's had just come out.

FSD is moving in the right direction but very slowly. It will really help on the highway, have 2 trips planned covering around 7000 miles in the next 6 months.
Agreed. Highway driving. But then again, autopilot will get updated and those folks not paying for FSD will get most of the benefit without paying (e.g., visualizations, smoother TACC, etc.).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I drove about 250 miles with it today, mostly freeway.

- Lane changing seemed much smoother
- Decision making to pull out of the passing lane and back was more frequent and smoother
- It biases away from semi's pretty hard, often riding the lane marker
- Very little phantom braking, not gone, but not frequent.
- The assertive mode will lane change pretty aggressively, even in slow traffic.
- When I got to town and traffic was congested, I eventually took over. It's still not great at looking ahead and deciding which lane is going to win.

Overall I would call it a modest improvement on the highway. I didn't do enough city driving to make a judgement.

- Decision making to pull out of the passing lane and back was more frequent and smoother
- The assertive mode will lane change pretty aggressively, even in slow traffic.
- When I got to town and traffic was congested, I eventually took over. It's still not great at looking ahead and deciding which lane is going to win.

Overall I would call it a modest improvement on the highway. I didn't do enough city driving to make a judgement.
Yep, highway is okay, save for on and off ramp behaviors. City streets driving is a disaster.

• Informative
11.3.3 blatantly ran a red light this morning. Light was yellow, it slowed like it was going to stop, but went anyway, light was red as the car crossed the intersection. No traffic around, i disengaged and reported.

60ft from the left turn lane you’re supposed to be in, car is trying to move to the far right lane. Even 10.69.25.2 never did this.

And sorry, zipper merges don’t work on a lot of the roadways here in western NY. I don’t care if this is the most best efficient way to merge, it doesn’t work around here unless there’s no traffic. People merge as soon as there is room.

• Informative
Report on 11.3.3 on my regular weekend drive. TLDR: Much better than 69.x but still has the same really annoying warning light issue. Main consolation is that I can report it again now.
Essentially the same as the previous drive, on curved multilane roads it still gets too close to the lane lines even when there are other cars there. Only exception is when the other vehicle is a truck, in which case it gets as far away as it can.
It still cannot figure out flashing yellow warning lights but now shows "Stopping for traffic control" - on a 70mph divided highway. Disengaged and reported, but also tried forcing it through with the accelerator which just gives you the manic beeps and take over immediately flash red warning.
Many times passenger wasn't aware we were on FSD, until braking happened, at which point is was obvious.
Braking is much better but still very noticeably "braking" rather than slowing down.

For reference, Texas uses flashing yellow overhead signs for some junctions on divided highways, it also uses flashing yellow signs to warn of upcoming traffic lights.
In both cases the car now shows the yellow light, but adds red light to the display which doesn't exist in the real world.

In both cases the car now shows the yellow light, but adds red light to the display which doesn't exist in the real world.
If you mean that it goes red as you pass the light, that's been a behavior for a while. I assume they do it because they want to make it look like the car knows that a traffic light is going red even after passing through the intersection, but it seems an idiotic thing to do. If you see yellow, show yellow. If you can't see the light anymore, remove the signal from the display.

I am mainly interested in the highway improvements and your points are exactly what I have experienced.

I will add that there is still a lot of work to be done exiting the freeway - several times it has exited and kept freeway speed on the exit ramp and onto the feeder when I had to disengage and brake for it. After exiting the freeway it is very bad at being able to merge the 2-4 lanes over to make the mapped right turn at the intersection it exited for.

Now that the lane changing is much better I am letting it do it more and I have noticed that the system needs to look at the map data more and figure out when to make lane changes for intersections/exits better. Maybe it needs to weigh in map traffic data more and start getting over sooner into the mapped lane when there is a lot of traffic. Too many times it has not started trying to merge into/out of a lane when there is a lot of traffic and ends up stuck in a 'exit only' or completely wrong lane for an upcoming freeway split.

Sometimes I wonder if the engineers are all in California or parts of the country where the freeways have different exists/entrances/U-Turn lanes than what we have in south Texas because the areas under our freeways (freeway underpasses) have always been a problem. The dedicated U-Turn lanes under freeway underpasses are better on 11.3, but when the u-turn lane has stopped cars it still sometimes tries to split traffic into two lanes in them (they are one lane only but often very wide so 18-wheelers can use them for those unfamiliar with these type of u-turn lanes) . FSD sometimes completely stops for no reason when entering the u-turn lane and doesn't move unless you give it acceleration. When turning left from the feeder and going under the underpass it is bad at figuring out that it can move over a lane to the right so it doesn't get stuck in the 'left turn only' lane under the underpass. Sometimes it chooses right and moves over properly, but sometimes it turns too wide thus scaring the car which is also turning left on your right (the underpasses here often allow two lanes to turn left under it from the feeder). It doesn't seem to matter too much if the lanes are clearly marked or not in these situations. Basically FSD still needs a lot of training and work on handling these types of u-turn lanes and under the underpasses.

I want to add that for the most part - this is a huge improvement so far - FSD is a lot 'smoother' than before and is making better decisions overall. Still a long way to go, but if updates like this can come more frequently the future of FSD is brighter than I expected.

EDIT: One last thing. The false positive warning for 'vehicle departing lane take control immediately' when you have manually signaled (turn signal is on) and are manually changing lanes/existing freeway is still ever present and the biggest safety issue for ME with FSB. There is nothing worse than navigating difficult lane changes, then the Tesla beeps me making me panic trying to figure out if someone got in your blind spot or pulled in front of you or the plethora of other 'beep beep beep' warnings that can appear then to find out that is a false positive. Why is this so hard to fix? If I have manually engaged my turn signal and I am changing lanes of course my vehicle is departing lane. Doesn't seem to matter which settings are on or off on the warnings either and its been like this for the 3 years I've own the Y.

Last edited:
I took a 800 mile road trip using AP/NOA and was disappointed I didn't get the V11 update in time.

I got the 11.3.4 update while at my destination and got to use FSDb for about 100 miles around town and twisty country roads and during the 800 mile highway trip home. I've had really good experience.

I was worried that the NOA would be replaced by a buggy version of the highway FSDb, but V11 performed beautifully and was very confidence inspiring.

I love the new way to toggle assertiveness and disable unnecessary lane changes.

Passing trucks and moving to the far side of the lane is so much better than before.

FSDb also seems a lot more usable around town as it's smoother and quicker to make right decisions and react. I've noticed it still has problems with railroad crossings.

They can still improve lane merging.

I'm sure there are other areas for improvement but I really like this update overall.

If you mean that it goes red as you pass the light, that's been a behavior for a while. I assume they do it because they want to make it look like the car knows that a traffic light is going red even after passing through the intersection, but it seems an idiotic thing to do. If you see yellow, show yellow. If you can't see the light anymore, remove the signal from the display.
To be honest I only bothered looking because of the 11.3 version, usually I just turn FSD off when approaching these lights and avoid the ridiculous alert sounds and flashing display.
Will try again when the next release lands.

I took a 800 mile road trip using AP/NOA and was disappointed I didn't get the V11 update in time.

I got the 11.3.4 update while at my destination and got to use FSDb for about 100 miles around town and twisty country roads and during the 800 mile highway trip home. I've had really good experience.

I was worried that the NOA would be replaced by a buggy version of the highway FSDb, but V11 performed beautifully and was very confidence inspiring.

I love the new way to toggle assertiveness and disable unnecessary lane changes.

Passing trucks and moving to the far side of the lane is so much better than before.

FSDb also seems a lot more usable around town as it's smoother and quicker to make right decisions and react. I've noticed it still has problems with railroad crossings.

They can still improve lane merging.

I'm sure there are other areas for improvement but I really like this update overall.

Same, I'm happy there weren't any major regressions to the highway driving, even if it meant delaying for a whole year, plus a few long-standing issues were fixed. I re-read the release notes and I noted it says:

FSD Beta's multi-camera video networks and next-gen planner, that allows for more complex agent interactions with less reliance on lanes, make way for adding more intelligent behaviors, smoother control and better decision making.

I read this as "the intelligent behaviors aren't in the build yet but we're unblocked from adding stuff like that later".

To be honest I only bothered looking because of the 11.3 version, usually I just turn FSD off when approaching these lights and avoid the ridiculous alert sounds and flashing display.
Will try again when the next release lands.
Just a thought... could our settings for that option that warns and brakes for you have anything to do with this. Mine is auto set to medium. The old setting i used was the most sensitive and it would chime and brake when you were nowhere close to rear ending someone.

Just a thought... could our settings for that option that warns and brakes for you have anything to do with this. Mine is auto set to medium. The old setting i used was the most sensitive and it would chime and brake when you were nowhere close to rear ending someone.
I don't think so. Its just misinterpreting a single lensed light for a RYG three lens light, basically treating all hanging flashing lights as a three lens light that could mean stop.
Interestingly, 11.3.3 still slows down for traffic signs that show a picture of the RYG traffic light, it never stops but definitely slows down for them.
Texas sometimes uses that same type of sign but adds flashing yellow lights to warn of a hidden traffic light, so of course FSDb just freaks out with that as well.
While its good that there are now messages appearing, they are only displayed for a very short time and I'd much rather be looking at what FSDb is about to hit rather than seeing what it thinks its trying to do. The Model 3/Y central display is less than useful in this case.

Just did a 1600 mile(835 each way) trip from Virginia to Missouri and back in my 2018 Model 3 RWD. Minimal PB's(maybe 2 or 3 each way). Overall did great. I did disengage in the mountains when going downhill around a curve when I would end up passing a semi on the curve, but that was me just managing overall risk.

Almost got stranded because of a broken charge port door. Had it replaced in St. Louis for $200. Things of note with that, if your charge port door starts acting up and not opening, or if it goes out completely, get it fixed asap. My almost getting stranded was really the result of the charge port locking mechanism not disengaging after manually opening the charge port door. And no you can't just pull the manual release, that throws an error that prevents charging...had to putt eh main 12V under the back seat to reset that.

Just got the latest version last night and had it drive me to work and back (about 8 miles round trip) and for the first time it did it with no mistakes and was smooth for the most part. Pretty cool.

I tried it this morning on a different route and it still makes a mistake where it doesn't get into a specific turn lane and tries to make a right from the next lane over. It is a confusingly marked lane as it is a bus lane for the most part but then has a brief period of dotted lines to indicate that cars can enter for the turn lane, followed by another solid line (if that makes any sense). Unfortunately, we have a lot of crazy stuff like this in Madison.

• Informative
It was worth $6K to me 5 years ago and $7K 3 years ago but I would never pay anything close to $15K - would subscribe for trips though.
Exactly this. No one should really fall into the 15k trap now since there is the subscription model. Unless a, they want to support Tesla’s progress or b, think the functionality of today is worth the price. Don’t buy something based on future promises if you will be sick that it didn’t pan out.

It is a confusingly marked lane as it is a bus lane for the most part but then has a brief period of dotted lines to indicate that cars can enter for the turn lane, followed by another solid line (if that makes any sense). Unfortunately, we have a lot of crazy stuff like this in Madison.
Yes this is not supported. Sort of like a bike lane which it also struggles with. Very common marking.

Seems to work if turning lane is short but not if it is long. But too limited sample to know.

Reactions: iloveplywood
When I'm in this multi-level parking garage, on V11 I noticed the visualization was showing drivable space extending beyond the concrete walls of the underground garage. On V10 this didn't happen. The space looks like a plausible parking lot layout, and at first I thought it was just hallucinating, but I realize it's actually showing the layout of the parking area on the roof of the garage based on 2D GPS coordinates. So it seems there is some map data that is fused into the output of drivable space, at least for parking areas.

My experience with 11.3.3 and 11.3.4 was pretty bad. Basically they behaved no better than anything earlier. Phantom braking, misinterpreting stop signs at an acute angle (stopping even though the sign is for the cross road), turning left for no apparent reason, choosing the wrong lane when the road widens, etc. etc. This morning I received 11.3.6 and for the first time its feels like a real step forward. Only drove about 20 miles so far, but it was much smoother, chose the correct lane in both places it was wrong before, and only tried one of the three previous left turns for no apparent reason. Starting to give me hope that it will be truly useful someday, but also glad I bought it on the $2,000 flash sale instead of a higher price.