Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Actual Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what I saw this morning, the 11.3.6 FSD update still can't seem to tell the difference between a green left turn traffic light and a white "T" light for the VTA light rail. If they don't fix this one soon, somebody is pretty much guaranteed to die from turning out in front of a train with the right of way.

I'm not seeing any particular improvements from 11.3.3 so far, at least in very limited testing.

It still:
  • gets uncomfortably close (from my perspective) to garbage cans.
  • eagerly gets in a left turn lane behind other cars when there's another lane that's completely empty.
  • reliably fails to make multiple lane changes when exiting at Rengstorff and turning left on Garcia.
  • hallucinates a stop sign on 5th St. at the intersection with K St. in Sunnyvale that doesn't exist. (K street has stop signs. 5th street does not.)
Also, it would be nice if Tesla would actually say what they fixed in that specific patch release instead of shoveling the same release notes at us. *sigh*

I'm not seeing any particular improvements from 11.3.3 so far, at least in very limited testing.

It still:
  • gets uncomfortably close (from my perspective) to garbage cans.
Be careful with trashcans, this video was with an earlier version of fsdb
But I haven't seen anything in the path visualization for 11.3.3 to suggest it's dodging cans or even piles of branches and the few test I did had it go near miss dangerously close. It didn't feel like it was moving over at all, unlike with cars and people.

Did some driving today on …3.6 and done testing this version. Wrong lane choice, slowing in curves, missing turns…too much unsafe behavior.
Same. Today it stayed in the far left lane for an upcoming right turn and then tried to dive across two lanes within the last 100 feet. No one behind me so I let it try and fail on its own.

1681336173485.png

Reactions: Genie
I've joined the 11.3.6 crowd. I did my usual procedure when upgrading a large point upgrade:

Washed my car and dried it completely
Drove to my local freeway and put the car in park just before the entrance
Cleared calibration from the Service Menu, and then drove on the well-marked freeway in a middle lane until calibration was complete
Pulled off the freeway and put the car back in park
Set up the Autopilot settings, formatted the USB drive, and then rebooted the car using the brake pedal method.

Freeway drive was excellent - Chill mode with minimize lane change (MLC) enabled. I noticed that the car now speeds up more assertively when the car ahead starts to pull away. That's a welcome change. Slow downs were smooth. The follow distance was definitely less than what I'm used to on previous version (I had it set to 7). I hope they increase that a bit on future versions. No unnecessary lane changes, which I'd expect, given that MLC was enabled.

City streets - I did a common nav route to test parity. The car accelerates more assertively to get to the speed limit, or to approach a car ahead. Again, a welcome change. I had a 4-way stop on the route, which worked perfectly - no change from previous version. Street is 45MPH, and car slowed smoothly to the stop line, waited for a car to my right to move through the intersection (he was there first), and then proceeded. No slow down in the middle of the intersection, or hesitation as others have experienced. Again, same behavior as 10.69.25 for me.

Red lights were fine - no attempt to run a red light. I was first at 2 intersections. The rest of the intersections I was behind others.

Planner definitely needs some work, which it seems they are putting focus on in V11, so we should see improvement in V11.4 and beyond. I had no irrelevant lane changes, as I still had MLC enabled. Left and right turns were smooth. It smoothed out one right turn that I commonly take which was a bit jerky on 10.69.25 and would sometimes move left in the lane before turning right. On 11.3.6 the turn was smoother, and the car did not move left before the turn. A welcome change.

Lane changes were more "relaxed" - the best word I can think of. Unfortunately, that lead to an awkward PLT. The single left turn lane was nearly full, and 11.3.6 signaled and moved into the left turn lane, but did so leisurely and came to a stop with my rear passenger quarter sticking out into the adjacent lane a bit. This forced people to adjust a few feet to get around me. 10.69.25 would move into the lane more assertively, which I think was a more appropriate lane change behavior.

I did experience a lane split in the right lane, where a right turn lane was formed, and the car stayed in the thru lane, but signaled left as it did so, which was not necessary. This seems to be a common behavior that others have commented on in V11. Again, this is the planner and will hopefully be addressed as they train the NN for future versions.

Overall, a few minor issues, but overall an improvement with some welcome changes. I'll see how things progress as I continue testing.

I just did another short drive in the city. Came up to a left turn and stayed in the correct left turn lane (rightmost of 3) then less than a quarter mile from the intersection moved one lane to the right (lane for going straight) and proceeded through the intersection. This was despite the need to turn left and indicating it planned to do just that 'til the last minute. 🤔🤔🤔 I took over at that point, sure it would have recalculated shortly but why move to the right to begin with?

Reactions: Genie
Went from 11.3.3 to 11.3.6 two days ago. It seems like a few steps backwards as 11.3.3 solved a LOT of issues from previous versions.

• Much smoother acceleration and braking all around
  • More assertive/natural acceleration when it's the first car at a red light turned green
  • Very natural reaction to lane merges and splits both on city and highway (FINALLY!!!). No longer tries going into the other lane during splits, stays in its own lane unless required (and moves smoothly into other lane)
  • Less "confusion" moments where the steering is turned significantly left/right when approaching stop signs, in neighborhoods with tight turns, etc
  • Assertively enters left-hand lanes and HOV lanes on the highway and stays there
  • Spends less time in right-hand lanes on city streets
  • Rarely makes 2-lane turns on city streets
  • Changes 5 highway lanes when there are roughly 3mi until the exit (feels very natural)
  • The list goes on and on. It's felt like a dream come true! Even passengers who have never experienced FSD have commented how natural it feels.

• Back to the jerky braking in many scenarios
  • Lane merges and splits: Car is back to previous behavior of trying to occupy the other lane almost every time, but thankfully not as aggressively as it did before 11.3.3
  • Back to very conservative acceleration when it's the first car at a red to green light (often crossing the other side by the time the 2nd or 3rd cars in the lanes next to mine cross)
  • A lot more "confusion" when approaching stop signs and tight turns in neighborhoods where steering wheel makes drastic movements left/right
  • Moves FAR left (into the incoming lane many times) when preparing to turn left from a stop sign
  • Makes a lot of unnecessary lane changes, then changes back into the original lane seconds later (example: you've been in the left lane for 2 miles and need to turn left in 0.5 miles with no cars ahead of you, but car gets into the right lane, then at 0.3 miles gets back into the left lane.)
  • Stays in the second-to-most right lane on the highway on 4+ lane highways (traffic goes 6-10mph slower in this lane vs more left-sided lanes)
  • Tries making 2-lane turns at the last second a lot more often
  • Changed 5 highway lanes with ~1mi left until the turnoff (felt very aggressive)

I miss 11.3.3... Hopefully the next version comes out soon and makes steps forward again! I've noticed the pattern that it'll go 1-2 updates in a row where it feels like FSDb is implementing bad habits from previous versions, then 1 version where things clean up a bit and feel smoother, etc.

Reactions: Dennisis
Nope. Leaving that to @WilliamG

FSD tried to kill me yesterday. Heading East on i90 out of Seattle, in the right lane, got to the Mercer Island exit, which it wasn't supposed to take (the green number 6 in the image below), - for some reason the car got confused about how to stay on the highway, and got somewhat in-between exiting and staying on, and nearly crashed somewhere in the between, before I yanked the yoke to take over and at that point had to take the exit as it was far too dangerous to get back on the highway. That's never, ever happened on AutoPilot, so what on earth?!

@jebinc @Muzzman1

1681415105428.png

FSD tried to kill me yesterday. Heading East on i90 out of Seattle, in the right lane, got to the Mercer Island exit, which it wasn't supposed to take (the green number 6 in the image below), - for some reason the car got confused about how to stay on the highway, and got somewhat in-between exiting and staying on, and nearly crashed somewhere in the between, before I yanked the yoke to take over and at that point had to take the exit as it was far too dangerous to get back on the highway. That's never, ever happened on AutoPilot, so what on earth?!

@jebinc @Muzzman1

View attachment 928083
Get life insurance if you don't already have it.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG

@jebinc @Muzzman1

View attachment 928083
The 3.6 single stack planner is on the edge of being full-on gorked.

Reactions: jebinc
Had my 2nd day with 11.3.6, this time testing NoA on a 15 mile trip.

City Streets: Had an issue with an ULT at an intersection. However, the circumstances were odd, so I'm not going to be critical of it. There were 2 oncoming lanes, one thru lane (or right turn) and one left turn lane. There were cars going straight thru and turning right, and 1 car in the left turn lane. My car waited for the thru/right lane to empty and began the left turn, but then just as it started the turn the guy in the left turn lane switched his blinker to right and turned right from the left turn lane. This confused the Tesla and it stuttered and slowed down in the middle of the intersection. Once the guy finished his incorrect right turn, the Tesla picked up and completed the left. It was an awkward, jerky maneuver, but I get why.

Freeway: Had to disengage while getting onto the freeway as a semi signaled and was trying to get over, and I wanted to back off to give him room. That was more of a courteous action on my part.

There was no merge lane on the freeway, so I didn't get to test that. Freeway drive was uneventful, and there was no lane changing (with MLC enabled). I even was sitting behind a semi going 55MPH while my set speed was 75MPH and it happily sat behind the semi until I had it change lanes. Had a car cut in front of me, and then change again (he was trying to get to an exit quickly). Tesla slowed down a little, but didn't brake like previous versions. It was a welcome change.

I did notice the car moving around in the lane more than previous builds. I'm guessing due to giving some room to cars/semis on either side. It felt a little odd as I'm used to the car, for the most part, staying dead center in the lane. Gonna take some time to get used to.

As an aside, had an angry driver interaction while on city streets. Was coming up to a red light and indicated a lane chance to an empty lane. There was no one in the other lane, so I didn't cut anyone off. This was 1 block from the freeway onramp. A guy came up behind me and was annoyed at the Telsa's slower speed ramp up (he was in a hurry), so he cut over to the left, accelerated fast, and then cut me off with 1 foot of clearance very aggressively. Was totally unnecessary. He got onto the onramp a whopping 3 seconds before I did.

@jebinc @Muzzman1

View attachment 928083

976EE113-49DE-4502-A9C0-D5DC641391A2.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
Flashbacks to Walter Huang's fatal crash.

It still:
  • reliably fails to make multiple lane changes when exiting at Rengstorff and turning left on Garcia.
As an experiment, I slowed the car down massively yesterday to see if it could make it. Even at a painfully slow speed, it made the first lane change and refused to go any further. I had to intervene manually. :(

• Informative
Flashbacks to Walter Huang's fatal crash.

As an experiment, I slowed the car down massively yesterday to see if it could make it. Even at a painfully slow speed, it made the first lane change and refused to go any further. I had to intervene manually. :(
The route planning is 99% of the problem with FSD for me. Should be a solvable…

Couple simple rules should be applied like:

1. Move to destination lane ASAP if under a mile out (highway, qtr mile city) from exit/turn.

2. If over a mile out (highway, qtr mile for city) and destination lane is full of traffic, move sooner.

If it did those two things, it would improve my experience greatly.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and Dennisis
Alright I hope this isn't too off-topic a question for this thread...

Running FSD beta 11.3.6. According to the release notes, 11.x is using the same software stack for freeway and surface street driving. So...what happens if you've selected Autosteer (NOT FSD Beta) in the Autopilot settings and then engaged Autopilot? Is it using the old freeway software stack (like it would have for FSD Beta 10.x), or the same, new single stack that handles all the driving if I selected FSD in the Autopilot settings?

It feels to me like Autosteer-only behavior is better on the freeway running 11.3.* compared to 10.69.*, but I'm not sure if that's due to running different code, tweaks to existing code, or placebo effect.

Bruce.

I haven't tried disabling FSD beta in Autopilot settings, but it definitely reverts to the old stack if it's raining steadily on the highway and you engage Autopilot. You can tell because the visualization reverts to the old style lane lines with simple geometry for roadway edges.

• Informative