Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Einstein expected General Relativity to take few years .. it took 10 years. Tesla are attempting to do something that has never been done before .. i dont see how anyone can expect accurate estimates. Sure, Elon should be less optimistic, but its the optimism that drives the progress.
It is different, when you’re selling it.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
243C98D2-9083-414B-B91E-4F46085B4399.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: pabla and kpeng
It is different, when you’re selling it.

Why? Are you saying that people should only sell something that has a predictable delivery schedule? Well, things like that are pretty dull usually, as they are just minor iterations of a well-trodden path. When someone sells something genuinely new, there is a balance between the attraction of the novelty value (in the true sense of the word "novelty") and the inherent uncertainty about what you are getting. Will it work? Will it ship on time? Will it be worth what I paid for it?

FSD is clearly at the extreme novelty end of this scale .. no-one has ever tried it before. And that means its risky .. of course it is. Sure, Elon said X or then said Y. So what? That's called "marketing" (aka creative lying). I for one was well aware of the rissk involved when I bought FSD, and set my expectations accordingly .. taking all that Elon said with the appropriate amount of skepticism. If you didn't, well, perhaps you learned something that will be useful to you going forward.

Reactions: KerryOH
Why? Are you saying that people should only sell something that has a predictable delivery schedule? Well, things like that are pretty dull usually, as they are just minor iterations of a well-trodden path. When someone sells something genuinely new, there is a balance between the attraction of the novelty value (in the true sense of the word "novelty") and the inherent uncertainty about what you are getting. Will it work? Will it ship on time? Will it be worth what I paid for it?

FSD is clearly at the extreme novelty end of this scale .. no-one has ever tried it before. And that means its risky .. of course it is. Sure, Elon said X or then said Y. So what? That's called "marketing" (aka creative lying). I for one was well aware of the rissk involved when I bought FSD, and set my expectations accordingly .. taking all that Elon said with the appropriate amount of skepticism. If you didn't, well, perhaps you learned something that will be useful to you going forward.

1F45486E-9393-4EEF-95A7-4C40457979D7.jpeg

This text from october 2016 tells, that the bottleneck is the local regulatory approval :rolleyes:

Well, that would be false since it is well document that air travel is far safer per million miles than even a Tesla car. Also, autonomous air travel is easier to figure out...
Safety is due in large part to the ratio of pilots to passengers. Look at the list of careers ordered by fatalities. Pilots are #3, behind fishing and logging and just ahead of roofers.Drivers are #6 on the list. (Sorry for off-topicness. I thought it was interesting, is all.)

Safety is due in large part to the ratio of pilots to passengers. Look at the list of careers ordered by fatalities. Pilots are #3, behind fishing and logging and just ahead of roofers.Drivers are #6 on the list. (Sorry for off-topicness. I thought it was interesting, is all.)

It's more complex than that (lies, damn lies, and statistics). The fatality numbers you quote include all flights, including private jets etc. For commercial day-to-day flights the numbers are much lower, as a result of tighter safety, maintenance and better training.

Besides, it doest matter why planes are safer. According to the a Dutch study (quoted here), "for every 1 billion passenger miles traveled by car, 7.2 people die; by plane, it's 0.07 people." That's a ratio of about 100:1 in favor of flying for each passenger mile. My job involves modest air travel, and I average about the same number of flight miles per year as driving miles, so statistically I'm 100x safer in a plane than my car.

It's more complex than that (lies, damn lies, and statistics). The fatality numbers you quote include all flights, including private jets etc. For commercial day-to-day flights the numbers are much lower, as a result of tighter safety, maintenance and better training.

Besides, it doest matter why planes are safer. According to the a Dutch study (quoted here), "for every 1 billion passenger miles traveled by car, 7.2 people die; by plane, it's 0.07 people." That's a ratio of about 100:1 in favor of flying for each passenger mile. My job involves modest air travel, and I average about the same number of flight miles per year as driving miles, so statistically I'm 100x safer in a plane than my car.
I agree. It's just that somebody mentioned flying cars up above. That "100x safer" stat includes airline travel with 100x ratio of people:pilots (well trained and often qualified) in planes (well maintained), which wouldn't apply to the everyman flying car scenario. I agree with Elon: "dumb and dangerous". I'd be on board if the pedestrian warning sounded like a Jetson's car, though.

Well, that would be false since it is well document that air travel is far safer per million miles than even a Tesla car. Also, autonomous air travel is easier to figure out...
It is not false. You can look it up for yourself.

That is what he said. Imagine someone who doesnt perfectly maintain their vehicle and a hub cap comes off. Not a big deal on the ground.. but falling parts in the air is another story...

It is not false. You can look it up for yourself.

That is what he said. Imagine someone who doesnt perfectly maintain their vehicle and a hub cap comes off. Not a big deal on the ground.. but falling parts in the air is another story...
Exactly .. be serious ... Jetsons flying will never arrive unless the car/plane thing truly flys itself. We can’t even handle drones responsibly. Even then you will have idiots throwing things out the car onto peoples heads. You would have to keep people in sealed boxes with no control at all.

Reactions: McFlurri