Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not going to work in my household anyway, wife is a Nurse working shifts …. I’m a HV Engineer working 2week on 2week off away from home. She needs the car because of the hours she starts (public transport is a bust), I need the car to tote all my gear around in. 2 cars required🤷🏼‍♂️
And for the millions in the West who live in areas with annually increasing wildfire risk, who wants to have to rely on robotaxi availability when it's evacuation time?

more and more, I wonder if its time to "go VGER" and short the lte antenna input to gnd via 50ohms. if I could easily clip the write-enable line (lol, there is no such thing, you think this is SCSI?) I would do that, too, to keep my 2 year old UI intact.

my radar works, I get no PBing at all to speak of.

jamming the lte band as a whole could also disable updates, but, well, that's not stricly legal not to mention it nerfs all phones in the nearby area. (well, that could be a benefit to some, I suppose, lol)

I have my button set to 'leave me alone, elon' but its anyone's guess when the clown will enter my car and fark it up, regardless of my wishes.

Wildfires aren’t too much of an issue in the UK …. flooding in certain area’s maybe but they tend to be so quick that it doesn’t matter how many cars you have 🤣
1643470452272.png

There was another, very subtle nuance at the beginning of the call. It seems that Elon is only intellectually interested in EV (he wants to scale production above all, so quality and customer service are not even on the radar) and Tesla management team are running it while Elon is focused on FSD and AI. As I said earlier, Tesla will only benefit from spinning off the AI part (which is very immature compared to the EV part), let Elon focus on it and hire someone who knows how to scale production to run Tesla. Elon was awesome (I am thankful for what he did) but now he is doing more damage than good.
There is all this “shared economy” thing. I am not sure if even the millennials are buying into it anymore. Didn’t we have that experiment for 70+ years?! It is called communism and it did not work. I understand the issue with limited resources and how we overexploit the planet but the solution for this is not expanded consumerism; it is smarter use of resources. And higher quality items do exactly that. Things that are high quality (in the broader sense of the word) and fixable - just the opposite of what Tesla is. My dad still uses tools made in the USA 50 years ago vs. a lot of cheap, one time use thing that is low quality but so cheap that it is easier to just replace. But I digress…
There is a very serious cognitive dissonance in this whole thing and I suspect that the real reason behind it is really some perceived intellectual challenge and profit chasing, regardless of what they talk about.
Honestly, they do not care about current owners; it is all about scale and new horizons. Typical startup mentality but what else should we expect from a serious entrepreneur?

There is all this “shared economy” thing. I am not sure if even the millennials are buying into it anymore. Didn’t we have that experiment for 70+ years?! It is called communism and it did not work. I understand the issue with limited resources and how we overexploit the planet but the solution for this is not expanded consumerism; it is smarter use of resources. And higher quality items do exactly that. Things that are high quality (in the broader sense of the word) and fixable - just the opposite of what Tesla is. My dad still uses tools made in the USA 50 years ago vs. a lot of cheap, one time use thing that is low quality but so cheap that it is easier to just replace. But I digress…
This is the modern way of engineering run by bean counters. Engineers used to build things to last, modern companies want you to buy the latest and greatest every few years. There more profit in new than in repairing old, you only have to look at modern washing machines, very few replaceable parts, in front loaders only 1 support arm at the back of the drum, usually made out of cheap crap. Old machines were 2 or 3 supports made out of steel and lasted a consumers lifetime, only the controls, hoses etc needed replacing. It’s all about the 💰

more and more, I wonder if its time to "go VGER" and short the lte antenna input to gnd via 50ohms. if I could easily clip the write-enable line (lol, there is no such thing, you think this is SCSI?) I would do that, too, to keep my 2 year old UI intact.

my radar works, I get no PBing at all to speak of.

jamming the lte band as a whole could also disable updates, but, well, that's not stricly legal not to mention it nerfs all phones in the nearby area. (well, that could be a benefit to some, I suppose, lol)

I have my button set to 'leave me alone, elon' but its anyone's guess when the clown will enter my car and fark it up, regardless of my wishes.
Something will fail, you will go to a SC and they will install it.

Something will fail, you will go to a SC and they will install it.
there's a concept of 'valet mode' where you give limited functionality to valets.

I'd like to see that, about dealerships/installers/etc. ie, just because you have access to my lcd display and TS, does not mean you have the RIGHT (by me) to press anything you want.

wow, that's a patentable idea, right there. role-based access control but in cars.

not kidding. someone do that, please (some vendor). tesla never will, unless legally forced. but I do want more control and ownership over the things that I paid for. old days, you could clip a wire to a switch or interrupt a wire with a lock. now, you obviously cant.

if there were legally controlled interfaces and vendors had to respect them, THEN we'd see the level of control we all want from OUR cars.

I dont expect any vendor to do this unless forced, though. I dont have high hopes. but I see a patentable design, here, that would keep everyone happy. it already exists in some other fields. depending on who is 'logged in', you can or can not press or see buttons. that's an old idea and now its time has come to be applied to cars.

Bummer, this is what happens when Tech Geeks begin to run the world. This last update does indeed SUCK!
I just returned from dinner with driving duties assigned by my spouse. My "co-pilot" was a United Airlines Pilot who is an ultimate "scroll and click" geek.
He showed my how to navigate the update. he made the point that most functions could be voice controlled using the wheel on the steering wheel.
Not everybody has a full time airlines pilot as a tutor. Even his wife says she hates the new update because it messes up her music screen and controls
on their Model 3.
I still don't get what was the thinking behind this latest version update. Made something simple into more difficult.

This is why I’m hearing from some of my old friends from the now defunct Tesla forums that they are selling their old Ses.

I myself was wondering about buying a a used 100D till the new 4680 battery packs arrived. However even the 2017 Ses are throttled to some extent, I believe. I could be wrong.

I haven't supercharged in over a year, but last time I made a trip to California I got reasonable supercharger speeds in my 2016 refresh Model S. It was a little slower than when it was new, but only 10 or 20%. I, of course, had some slow charges at overloaded superchargers (Grants Pass), but when I didn't have to share a pair of chargers the speed was normal. Has the slow down happened since late 2020?

I haven't supercharged much over the history of the car.

I’m a new Tesla owner I admit. But I bought the car to drive it. I should have done more research I see that now. It seems neither Elon or a number of those who have owned a Tesla for a long time share that desire 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess it’s maybe a location thing. Tesla taxis might make sense in big sprawling USA. Here in Scotland I like to drive our windy scenic country roads. Not be driven round them. I rarely need to drive on a multi-lane motorway. Driving a Tesla is fun and I don’t want that to end…

I work from home so when I do go out it's not during peak traffic. I rarely use AP and like driving it myself too.

As for robo-taxis in the US, they only make sense for about 15% of the area of the country, maybe more like 5%, though around 40-50% of the population could potentially make use of them. I live on the outskirts of the Portland, OR metro area. When Tesla started offering Uber vouchers instead of loaners I mapped out what it would cost to get home on Uber, it was around $120 because they don't normally come out this way. I never see ride sharing out here, nor regular taxis.

We live right on the edge of the metro area. Rural Washington state starts about 1/2 mile east of us. The next county over is slightly less than 1/4 the size of Wales with 12,000 people. Large swaths of the western US are that sparsely populated.

The urban folks even in the west don't really understand just how porr transportation options rural areas are, and they will likely never get better. In those areas if you don't have a car, you're stuck. My partner runs an agency that does domestic violence perpetrator counseling and they service those rural areas. One of the few in the state. She was on a task force mostly made up of Seattle people and she was pulling her hair out trying to convince them that phoning into group sessions is really the only option for many of her clients (pre-pandemic, it's all online or phone now). Many of these people have lost their drivers license and they are dependent on family members and friends to take them places (or drive illegally, which happens too). They can't use Zoom because they only have dial-up internet.

The people in Seattle say "why can't he just take a bus?" The nearest bus stop is 30 miles away, you suggest he walk, in January, in a part of the state that gets a lot of snow? Oh and the bus doesn't go to the location where the group is meeting, that's in the opposite direction. They can't wrap their minds around how life is in the rural area only a short distance from them as the crow flies.

In someplace like Portland or Seattle, robo-taxis would join a host of other transportation options available including light rail, rental scooters, lots of ride sharing, etc. But get outside the areas where population is dense and there are no public transport options that are going to be economically viable. When you get to really rural areas, the car is going to spend at least half the day running empty going from the last drop off to the next pick up. It could easily be 30 miles between fares.

I suspect a lot of the people talking up robo-taxis are those who live in urban areas with heavy traffic much of the day and they have been day dreaming how great it would be if all these other people weren't on the road with them so they could drive in peace.

What is far more feasible than FSD, and doable right now is strongly encourage companies that can to do remote work. Even before the pandemic I was thinking outer subburbs could have office buildings where people who could work remotely, but can't work at home for some reason could go and work most of the time. Leasing office space in the burbs is much cheaper than in town and there are no lease costs for those who work at home.

I've worked from home since 2010 and it's vastly better than an office!

Definitely. In the UK there’s more and more restrictions on mobile (cell) phone use like fines for changing song tracks while driving. That will soon apply to distracting touchscreens too I’m sure. I can’t play games or watch Netflix while driving. So I don’t need that on the main screen. Basic.

Here in Washington you must be hands free for phone use. My partner got pulled over when her ear piece fell out and she was putting it back in at a red traffic light. When she explained what happened she was allowed to go, but the cop was ready to give her a ticket.

I can just imagine the discussion with the cop if I get pulled over for distracted driving while trying to turn on my defroster. "Take it up with Elon mate, it's his bloody design!"

That's at least 10 years away probably 20. Actually, probably never with existing hardware. Why can't Tesla be content with selling and promoting the current cars as the best EVs on the market that are also exceptionally fun to drive? Because that's what these cars are. Maybe someday, they will have the subscription-based robotaxis they are hoping to create. But I can assure you the model 3 in my garage will never have that capability during the next six or so years I plan on owning it. So for now, they should design the UI to provide me with the best experience my car can provide me... a car driver not taxi owner.

One more point... Even if my car were capable of being a robotaxi, there is no way in hell I'm going to let it wander all around town letting people I don't know inside to give them a ride to places I wouldn't go when I'm behind the wheel. I'm just not interested in letting my car be abused in that way, because who knows what someone will do in my car while unsupervised.

I find it sort of funny, I've been skeptical of FSD from the start. Initially I got shouted down when I pointed out flaws with the plan, but in this thread I have seen several of my initial criticisms brought back up.

I always thought the privately owned robo-taxi idea was crazy. Now if FSD without a driver becomes a reality, and governments approve it (both could be far off), the robo-taxi business be dominated by large companies with company owned fleets. The little guy won't be able to compete. Uber ad Lyft have made it clear that's their end game once FSD is a reality.

And I think that vandalism in robo-taxis will be far worse than in cars with a driver. Even if there are surveillance cameras and the perps are caught, the damage will be done. It was thought that putting CCTV cameras everywhere would deter crime, it just made it easier for the cops to catch the vandals if they aren't overloaded with other stuff. What deters criminals is a person standing there.

An experiment done at a farmer's market with a stand run on the honor system with a camera on the stand found the stealing rate was much higher than the same experiment run with a cardboard cutout of a police officer in the stand. Though someone stole the cardboard cutout eventually. Having a live human standing nearby kept people the most honest.

People often get some kind of ride home when they have been out drinking, and two side effects of that is people do stupid things when drunk, plus they also get violently ill. Do you really want to spend your mornings scraping half digested kabob off the seats of your Model 3? Most people don't.

I listened to the entire earnings call. Listened to parts of it multiple times. Elon was getting frustrated that people were not seeing the big picture. That the cars they are selling today are in reality worth 5 times as much because they are all future robotaxi capable. The financial implications are "nutty good".

I just don't understand how someone so smart can be so stupid. I guess this is the textbook definition of the super high IQ person having no common sense. This is what i fear most about the success of the company. This disconnect from reality.

Elon doesn't really understand people. And the dangerous thing is he thinks he does. Sort of a Dunning-Kruger effect there. People can be brilliant in different ways and it's very rare to find someone who is brilliant in every area, or even more than one or two.

I have seen many things predicting the coming of FSD and how that's going to change everything for some time. One made the point that when the cost of something drops significantly, a cascade effect happens. That sometimes happens, but other times people stick with something that is more expensive because they like it better. for example in the cores of large cities like New York or London it's very expensive to own a car and get around by car, but while car ownership is lower in those places than less congested places, lots of people still own cars even though it's painfully expensive. For one reason or another, they like having the car better than relying on public transportation which is much cheaper.

Forgot to mention, I was updated to 2022.4 Friday. I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. One thing that I did find annoying was it was difficult to close the release notes (which said nothing). I had to open the radio window to make it go away.

I used to be a big BMW fan. Until they went down the tubes with their F and G platforms.
I am prepared to give them another chance. However two things kill it for me:

The curb weight of their electrics;
The super ugly (back to the origins) nose.
BMW lost me a few years ago when they decided it wasn’t enough to overcharge for their cars, option packages and service and they started charging an annual subscription fee to use features like heated seats and CarPlay. I can’t imagine what they’d do with a system like Tesla’s.

One thing I will definitely give Tesla props for is the continuing updates. Granted, the V11 interface sucks a$$, but their system of over the air updates is the best in the industry, IMO.

Last edited:
BMW lost me a few years ago when they decided it wasn’t enough to overcharge for their cars, option packages and service and they started charging an annual fee to use features like heated seats and CarPlay. I can’t imagine what they’d do with a system like Tesla’s.

One thing I will definitely give Tesla props for is the continuing updates. Granted, the V11 interface sucks a$$, but their system of over the air updates is the best in the industry, IMO.
I think £2k for red paint or £1k for white plastic seats instead of black a bit steep too plus the cost for full FSD a software change🤷🏼‍♂️ (Not that I want it lol).
Yes part of the reason for leaving BMW was the ridiculous service regime but more because of the frequency not cost tbf.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The ride on the Y is harsh. And I mean HARSH. It’s the worst part of the experience IMO.
absolutely. My 18 year old son commented a few days ago, "it's like riding on a board! The suspension is horrible!"

A side effect of the suspension is that it makes the touchscreen that much worse. If you have a harsh suspension that bounces you around a touchscreen interface that makes you try to hit a target in the middle of the screen with an outstretched arm is horrible. I was driving home from work this morning and trying to adjust the heating controls and it took me forever because I kept hitting the wrong part of the screen. Had I not had the car on autopilot I probably would have driven off the road.
Yes, that would be the best solution. It is good that Tesla is listening to critical feedback.
It would definitely be an improvement but the old layout made much more sense, IMO - having the seat heater controls next to the temperature controls was completely logical and intuitive. Simply expanding the 'app tray' doesn't quite get there and doesn't address all of the issues.

This is the modern way of engineering run by bean counters. Engineers used to build things to last, modern companies want you to buy the latest and greatest every few years
We are all guilty of this. At least in the U.S. people are always looking for a good value "bargain." At least that's what they say, but what they're really looking for is cheap. Manufacturers have figured out that they do better making cheap stuff because they sell more. The public has gotten used to it and doesn't expect things to last and also doesn't have an eye for quality so they expect stuff to break, get thrown away and replaced. Technology has made that worse because it advances so quickly and can't be upgraded.

For me a good value is something that gives you a lot for your money. The Yugo was cheap but it wasn't a good value. Conversely, we paid $30,000 for a Honda Odyssey 10 years ago. It's got 120,000 miles on it, still runs perfectly and has needed minimal work aside from routine maintenance. That car was a good value.

And I think that vandalism in robo-taxis will be far worse than in cars with a driver
Completely agree. The 'robotaxi' concept has been batted around in many different forms. People have also talked about 'shared cars' which is the same general concept.

From a logical, rational perspective, this makes a ton of sense. A car is a means to transport you between locations, so as long as that goal is accomplished it's function is served. Except cars are a lot more than transportation - they are personal and cultural forms of expression. They convey status and identity. For many they are sources of pride. Those people will never be happy with a robotaxi. Beyond that, "nobody ever washed a rental car." Vandalism will absolutely be a problem, but even more than that, things like smoking in cars, leaving trash behind, etc will be a problem. We all know people whose cars are an extension of the kitchen garbage can and others that keep their car so clean you could eat off the floor. The slobs don't care, but the people driving after the slob sure do!

Reactions: pilotSteve
its not very good, actually. look how long it takes to roll out updates to people. its just barely working and overextended, from my POV.

all the vendors are doing OTA. its really not anything special anymore and it will be part of all 'connected cars' as the vendors work out the bugs and eventually settle on some standard sw pkgs (modules from vendors) rather than doing it all on their own.

doing the first one is painful and takes 1-2 years from the start, just to get it working at all (I've been thru it before). but its not rocket science and tesla does not do anything really special here.

what WOULD be impressive? giving an undo or go-back option. since they dont have that, I cant give them an A grade on this. at best its a C+ or B- but certainly nothing really stellar.

stellar would be to let us upgrade just safety or bug fixes and not the UI. stellar would be a TRUE 'leave me the hell alone' button. stellar would be to allow options to be downloaded and some others that you like, locked down due to owner's pref.

tesla has done an average job. but they are not experts in this and it shows.

absolutely. My 18 year old son commented a few days ago, "it's like riding on a board! The suspension is horrible!"

A side effect of the suspension is that it makes the touchscreen that much worse. If you have a harsh suspension that bounces you around a touchscreen interface that makes you try to hit a target in the middle of the screen with an outstretched arm is horrible. I was driving home from work this morning and trying to adjust the heating controls and it took me forever because I kept hitting the wrong part of the screen. Had I not had the car on autopilot I probably would have driven off the road.
I have to grab hold of something with my hand, on the back of the screen, to steady my hand while the car is in motion, then I can use fingers to select the button on the screen.

overall, its NOT IDEAL for driving!

well, duh. we all knew this. the largest 'bigliest' elephant in the room - screens are not safe for cars since you HAVE TO take your eyes off the road to use them. there's no touch or tactile clues.

what I find really amazing is how tesla and the others got away with bribing the authorities to look the other way, when legislation was created that specifically addresses the distraction issue about drivers. in calif, you cant even mount anything to your windshield (lots of reasons). you can't play video games or have a live movie going while you drive. so why is it ok to have us constantly glance AWAY from the road to the screen just to operate the car?

using my phone gets me a ticket. why is using my tesla's screen ANY DIFFERENT? someone please answer that. I see zero diffs. mounting the phone and touching it gets you a ticket while you drive. and yet.....

tesla is on the border of legality and just barely, somehow. other vendors that play with screens like this, them too. the move away from real controls has hurt, not helped, distracted driver syndrome.

there's a lot I like about that display, but part of me would like to see it reeled back by more rational minds. I do think we've taken this too far and its just lazy to put all controls there. lazy for software and hardware designers. yeah, we ask them to make a decision and stick with it. and they just can't!

I have to grab hold of something with my hand, on the back of the screen, to steady my hand while the car is in motion, then I can use fingers to select the button on the screen.

overall, its NOT IDEAL for driving!

well, duh. we all knew this. the largest 'bigliest' elephant in the room - screens are not safe for cars since you HAVE TO take your eyes off the road to use them. there's no touch or tactile clues.

what I find really amazing is how tesla and the others got away with bribing the authorities to look the other way, when legislation was created that specifically addresses the distraction issue about drivers. in calif, you cant even mount anything to your windshield (lots of reasons). you can't play video games or have a live movie going while you drive. so why is it ok to have us constantly glance AWAY from the road to the screen just to operate the car?

using my phone gets me a ticket. why is using my tesla's screen ANY DIFFERENT? someone please answer that. I see zero diffs. mounting the phone and touching it gets you a ticket while you drive. and yet.....

tesla is on the border of legality and just barely, somehow. other vendors that play with screens like this, them too. the move away from real controls has hurt, not helped, distracted driver syndrome.

there's a lot I like about that display, but part of me would like to see it reeled back by more rational minds. I do think we've taken this too far and its just lazy to put all controls there. lazy for software and hardware designers. yeah, we ask them to make a decision and stick with it. and they just can't!
Wow.. i admit i haven't been on here that long, but yours is the first post i've seen that really made this logical comparison so directly. It's insane, right? How can i get a ticket for glancing at my phone but it's legal to drive a Tesla? It really shows how laws are such a gray area and frequently don't reflect real life. And how they can be manipulated and massaged. I still think the screens are being allowed, with short term dangers well known, to facilitate the future utopia where universal autonomy will protect us all. It's for the "greater good."