Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V2G with PG&E, Tesla, and Ossiaco?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure it's not exactly same but it is still V2H. It would be more understandable if Tesla explained their specific battery concerns. Of course they have to do more HW/SW engineering but does anyone doubt their ability to provide a system that works within the safe battery health parameters? For example, 5KW inverter that can only be used for temporary backup power (i.e. not long term daily cycling) within the safe 20% and 80% SOC range of the battery that does not have serious long term impact. On a M3LR that's more than 3xPW's and enough to run the essentials for quite a while. I personally feel the potential battery warranty issue often touted is a red herring.

There is zero reason for tesla to ever allow this for people who dont have powerwalls already. It wont happen. It may happen for those who already have powerwalls, but it is never going to happen (from tesla) for people who dont have powerwalls. They have no incentive at all to deliver such a thing either from a technical standpoint or a business one.

There is zero reason for tesla to ever allow this for people who dont have powerwalls already. It wont happen. It may happen for those who already have powerwalls, but it is never going to happen (from tesla) for people who dont have powerwalls. They have no incentive at all to deliver such a thing either from a technical standpoint or a business one.

Perhaps but let's see what happens when there is more competition.

In all the discussion about V2G and Tesla, don't overlook the utility Interconnection requirements, as well as the NRTL safety requirements for the equipment. Not trivial...
Exactly! Not trivial at all. A 60Amp charger could also feed sixty, and that adds another layer of load/bus bars capacity calculations.

I will say that the process of installing batteries has been quite the eye opener for me on electrical regulations, and assumptions that were/are baked into home loads, bus bars, and utility feeds. Lots of considerations, and many of them set by groups that are used to seeing edge cases and preventing adverse events.

How long before 300-400A bus bar main service panels become common, even on 200A service? 10years? 15? How much of the delay will be delays and the NRTLs?

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jjrandorin
In case you hadn’t seen VW's Powerday. They talk about v2h.
In particular, v2g at 1:36 and capturing lost renewable energy (e.g. 6.5 tWh in Germany over 2020) at 1:40.

Yep, VW and others are working on it. More competition is best for consumers. The CCS/CHADEMO bi-directional DC charging standards are there for a reason.

Also, to avoid confusion, V2H is quite different from V2G. V2G requires much more complexity due to connection to the utility grid. V2H can be much simpler if it's only active when not connected to the utility grid which is the situation for grid outages with transfer switch similar to how PW and portable generator work in same situation.

Yep, VW and others are working on it. More competition is best for consumers. The CCS/CHADEMO bi-directional DC charging standards are there for a reason.

Also, to avoid confusion, V2H is quite different from V2G. V2G requires much more complexity due to connection to the utility grid. V2H can be much simpler if it's only active when not connected to the utility grid which is the situation for grid outages with transfer switch similar to how PW and portable generator work in same situation.
+1 . I wouldn't want to use my expensive EV battery for V2G, but V2H for backup situations makes so much sense. We just need a connection to the high voltage battery and everything else is external .

If a company offered true V2H on an EV, it would be something I would look at. v2G would be just icing on the cake. VW said 2022, which it they meet their goal, is not far off. Sure would put Tesla in a tough spot if they are not longer the leader in technology

If a company offered true V2H on an EV, it would be something I would look at. v2G would be just icing on the cake. VW said 2022, which it they meet their goal, is not far off. Sure would put Tesla in a tough spot if they are not longer the leader in technology
They have had V2G for a while in some places in Europe for commercial customers. Seem to work just OK. V2H for backup would be OK, but would require additional hardware/software that would likely only get used very seldom.

They have had V2G for a while in some places in Europe for commercial customers. Seem to work just OK. V2H for backup would be OK, but would require additional hardware/software that would likely only get used very seldom.
My generator is something that is seldom used but when I need backup, it can be. Many probably have batteries that are set to backup only. So, having an EV car with V2h could for many be the same, there if needed, rather than trying to game the system if one has TOU rates

Reactions: Reeler
My generator is something that is seldom used but when I need backup, it can be. Many probably have batteries that are set to backup only. So, having an EV car with V2h could for many be the same, there if needed, rather than trying to game the system if one has TOU rates
Not disagreeing. Owning 2 EVs and using Powerwalls daily to drive my costs down it's an interesting prospect. But when I think about I wonder what is needed.

The car battery is DC, so you would need to convert that to A/C at some point. Current Tesla connectors are limited to around 10kW AC. Would that be enough to be useful in a house? Would I need to install a critical loads panel with less than 10kW? The current AC only Tesla HPWC is around $500 plus installation, what would something with bi-direction capability cost? Where does the DC to AC converter live? What does it add to the costs?

We know people have asked Elon for V2H for years and he has been pretty cool to this idea. His response is usually "that is what a Powerwall is for". Perhaps because of the wear on the car's warranted battery lifespan?

Anyway, I have thought about this for years since I first hear about EVs. But, its the details that give me pause.

Not disagreeing. Owning 2 EVs and using Powerwalls daily to drive my costs down it's an interesting prospect. But when I think about I wonder what is needed.

The car battery is DC, so you would need to convert that to A/C at some point. Current Tesla connectors are limited to around 10kW AC. Would that be enough to be useful in a house? Would I need to install a critical loads panel with less than 10kW? The current AC only Tesla HPWC is around $500 plus installation, what would something with bi-direction capability cost? Where does the DC to AC converter live? What does it add to the costs?

We know people have asked Elon for V2H for years and he has been pretty cool to this idea. His response is usually "that is what a Powerwall is for". Perhaps because of the wear on the car's warranted battery lifespan?

Anyway, I have thought about this for years since I first hear about EVs. But, its the details that give me pause.
sometimes desires can out pace technology. For me, the EV is not even close to what my family needs. I need my mini van that can hold 7 people plus luggage for my 500 mile drive to Disneyland, without having to stop for fuel. The day a non gas car can offer this at a fair price, I will look.

But if a EV had v2h with a 100kw battery pack, it would be cheaper than the 5 PW's that were just installed. But as I heard Elon and others say, current batteries can only charge and discharge so much as their capacity goes down. Since a EV is all about range, no way would he enable any use of the EV batteries other than the car. Smart move.

sometimes desires can out pace technology. For me, the EV is not even close to what my family needs. I need my mini van that can hold 7 people plus luggage for my 500 mile drive to Disneyland, without having to stop for fuel. The day a non gas car can offer this at a fair price, I will look.

But if a EV had v2h with a 100kw battery pack, it would be cheaper than the 5 PW's that were just installed. But as I heard Elon and others say, current batteries can only charge and discharge so much as their capacity goes down. Since a EV is all about range, no way would he enable any use of the EV batteries other than the car. Smart move.
Whoa 300 miles non-stop. Count me out. I have a 2.5-3 hour bladder! The car will do the 300 miles and 4+ hours. I can't. The 25 minutes or so it takes me to Supercharge on a 300-mile trip works about just right for a relief stop and to grab some food.

Reactions: Reeler

Exactly, temporary power source should only be needed infrequently. V2H definitely needs some additional HW/SW but should be significantly simpler/faster/cheaper than getting a grid-interactive home battery system implemented just for temporary backup power source.

Whoa 300 miles non-stop. Count me out. I have a 2.5-3 hour bladder! The car will do the 300 miles and 4+ hours. I can't. The 25 minutes or so it takes me to Supercharge on a 300-mile trip works about just right for a relief stop and to grab some food.
Takes me 5 minutes for a bathroom break. And you assume you can find a supercharger available. Just too much overhead for me.

Takes me 5 minutes for a bathroom break. And you assume you can find a supercharger available. Just too much overhead for me.
Superchargers are readily available, especially here in California. There are 5 locations within 7 miles of my house. Most have 10-12 charging stands, but one has 20. For me, it is free since my car came with free Supercharging for as long as I own the car. But, even if I had to pay for it, it would be considerably cheaper than gas.

I also have a Tesla Wall charger in the garage so can charge at home in a couple of hours or less. Last year, before PTO, I used this charger a lot. In summer our Powerwalls are full by 1030 or 1100, so I dumped it into our EVs rather than shutting down the system. And even with that I usually shut down the solar by 130 or so and was left staring at the roof being upset at all the solar going to waste.

Last edited:
Superchargers are readily available, especially here in California. There are 5 locations within 7 miles of my house. Most have 10-12 charging stands, but one has 20. For me, it is free since my car came with free Supercharging for as long as I own the car. But, even if I had to pay for it, it would be considerably cheaper than gas.

I also have a Tesla Wall charger in the garage so can charge at home in a couple of hours or less. Last year, before PTO, I used this charger a lot. In summer our Powerwalls are full by 1030 or 1100, so I dumped it into our EVs rather than shutting down the system. And even with that I usually shut down the solar by 130 or so and was left staring at the roof being upset at all the solar going to waste.
How many are along I5 in the middle of the state in the sticks.

Again, that is great it works out for you. But since the penetration is such a super super small percentage of cars that sell, I guess I am not the only one who feels they do not meet the needs of my family. I expect in 50 years, what we use will make those folks all laugh at us, and they maybe laughing we thought EV was the only way to go. Only takes one new technology to kill off what one thinks will never go away. Analog watches

How many are along I5 in the middle of the state in the sticks.

Again, that is great it works out for you. But since the penetration is such a super super small percentage of cars that sell, I guess I am not the only one who feels they do not meet the needs of my family. I expect in 50 years, what we use will make those folks all laugh at us, and they maybe laughing we thought EV was the only way to go. Only takes one new technology to kill off what one thinks will never go away. Analog watches
I5 has a lot. For me here in the Bay Area going to LA there are Patterson, San Nella, Firebaugh, Kettleman City, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield, Grapevine, Santa Clarita. And down in the LA Basin every town seems to have a lot. Such as Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena on the 210; LA, Bell Gardens down the 5 and .... Most of these are the 150kW V3 fast DC chargers and co-located with food and some with shopping. Most have 12 or more stalls, with Kettleman have 40 or so and Bakersfield (it is at the outlet malls at the bottom of the Grapevine) having 20. The car will show you how many free stalls there are at any moment so you can avoid waits. You can go to Supercharger | Tesla to see more Supercharger locations. There are also planning site like a A Better Routeplanner that can plan stops.

Reactions: RabidYak