Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Charging Needs to get here soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
I'm growing tires of the people who are not trained to understand the proper super charger placement. I was the only car at a 6 stall station, a M3 owner pulls in and connects to 3A, I was in 3B. I didn't notice right away and when I realized he was already in the store. I left him a note, Tesla should have this show up on your screen when you approach the station.....giving a summary of what to do.

I'm growing tires of the people who are not trained to understand the proper super charger placement. I was the only car at a 6 stall station, a M3 owner pulls in and connects to 3A, I was in 3B. I didn't notice right away and when I realized he was already in the store. I left him a note, Tesla should have this show up on your screen when you approach the station.....giving a summary of what to do.
This is your opportunity to train the masses. Do it. Right here.

Its a mutual attraction thing between Teslas.

They want to be close, and they want a few more minutes to chat.

Not at this location they are laid out 1A,2A,3A then 1B,2B,3B

Don't recall the exact numbers when he plugged in I noticed a significant drop in the miles per hour....

So if I'm charging at a V2 at 150kW and someone pulls into the paired stall will it slow to 112kW or 75kW?

I see where someone said you would both be impacted. An impaction is when you can't move your bowels because they're blocked. Charging affects both drivers, the effect being they can both get home.

On the other note, Car A will continue to charge whether paired or not paired. it is VERY likely that Car A will have rapidly tapered down to less than 90 kW by the time Car B arrives. They might have started at 150 kW for a few seconds, but then it quickly tapers down as the battery fills. This happens even if there is only one car at the SC. Car B will pull up and start to charge on whatever the other car isn't using, to the limit of the charger, or to the limit of what the battery will accept. As Car A tapers, more and more power goes to Car B. As a decent charge will happen in about 20 minutes and Car A will have tapered to taking about 20% of the charger capacity. 80% will go to Car B, assuming Car B's battery can handle it. It may also be tapered to very slow charging.

The biggest problem is uneducated owners who think they have to charge to full. The car will charge to two thirds full in less than 30 minutes. That last 20 percent can take another hour. The best solution is for people to get chargers or outlets at their home or place of business. Quit using the SC for daily charging. I know, I know. That's not going to happen, because people abuse anything that's free.

Wouldn't you think that after a couple of times they catch on ?

I was under the impression that with the V2 update, the paired stalls were no longer "sharing" power. I have noticed that I have yet to reach above 116kW rate from a SC since the software update, even though I typically arrive with somewhere between 5-25% SoC. I thought it was an issue with my car, but the SCs are always pretty full around here in DC/MD so that does explain it if so.

I don't use the SCs weekly, but I do use them every couple weeks. I'd like to note that I called Tesla during my last charging session due to an error message that popped up stating that my batteries needed service immediately, and I asked about why my car never approaches 150 kW, and they never mentioned stall sharing.

How pairing at Supercharging works

The whole pairing concept was fine in the beginning when the battery packs peaked relatively short and then the charge rate drops continuously. Two cars plugged in would not see much of a compromise in charge rate.

Today it's much different. Every Tesla that was made for the last 3 years is able to keep a high charge rate for a longer time. So the whole pairing concept is outdated. Unfortunately I don't see Tesla being able to convert all those Supercharger stations to V3 quickly. 2 Years maybe...

Last edited:
V2 stations definitely share power. To change that would require a major hardware change. The update to 150kW was just firmware.

Yeah, makes sense. I understand how pairing works and have (nicely) explained it to people who pulled into my pair at otherwise empty SC stations while traveling. Who wants to sit for an extra 20-30 minutes when other stalls are available, especially when you're already driving all day.

I think there were articles written that may have confused the V2 update features with V3 since they were announced together.

The biggest problem is uneducated owners who think they have to charge to full. The car will charge to two thirds full in less than 30 minutes. That last 20 percent can take another hour. The best solution is for people to get chargers or outlets at their home or place of business. Quit using the SC for daily charging. I know, I know. That's not going to happen, because people abuse anything that's free.

What? I don’t have to take the cord out and restart recharging 3-4 times after getting to 100% just due to electron foaming? Or hop on the bumper to burp the battery?

/s

Yeah, makes sense. I understand how pairing works and have (nicely) explained it to people who pulled into my pair at otherwise empty SC stations while traveling. Who wants to sit for an extra 20-30 minutes when other stalls are available, especially when you're already driving all day.

I think there were articles written that may have confused the V2 update features with V3 since they were announced together.
I've tried explaining pairing to many drivers at Superchargers. Some of them have been grateful for the information and moved their cars. Others said they already knew but didn't care and just left their cars there. I'm guessing they really didn't know and were either too embarrassed to admit it or were convinced we were trying to deceive them.

I've tried explaining pairing to many drivers at Superchargers. Some of them have been grateful for the information and moved their cars. Others said they already knew but didn't care and just left their cars there. I'm guessing they really didn't know and were either too embarrassed to admit it or were convinced we were trying to deceive them.

Or they just gave up. If I see an unpaired stall I use it of course, but with the layout of each station being different and stations being pretty full these days, it really is a silly game of moving from stall to stall. In the end you are wasting as much time. Pairing just is outdated and needs to be fixed. Especially in the light of Tesla bragging about having the fastest charging car/stations.