Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging tested by Motor Trend...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you. I have recently bought a SR+. Gov incentives boosted the sale for that particular model with more than 100/day delivery here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. As for the owner, we did get 7500km (1500km now) free and it will expire in 6 months. Will we use that "free" kms? Yes, of course. Will we congest the supercharge station? Probably not. Why? It does not worth to pay for supercharge if you don't do road trip. Few days ago there was a big discussion in the "Canada" sub forum when Tesla retracted all free kms from BC residents due to misinterpretation of a local law. Ppl compared pricing between supercharging and home charging. Results are 7500km supercharge roughly equals to CAD $300 compares to $100 charging at home. After all our 7500km (or 6 months if we didn't used them up) free supercharge is done, I'm not going to pay 3 or 4 times to charge in a supercharge station unless I'm doing a road trip. The convenience that superchargers brings to the Tesla owner is not comparable! I personally believe that's the biggest selling point of Tesla and that's why I finally choose it over other 300 to 400 km range EVs. I haven't thought through why ppl were saying to ban or cap SR+ in supercharge stations other than ego.

I'm just worried down the road there might be a day where all the V3 stalls are used up by SR+ cars that are road tripping... they'll be charging at 100kW compared to 250kW that the long range can do. I don't want Tesla to cap them, I'm buying a SR+, but the faster charge rate won't do ANYTHING to help congestion if people own cars that already can't max a V2 supercharger. That's why I kinda hope Tesla is able to open up SR+ to like 140 to 150kW charge peak.

As for the condo owners, I feel for them. There were local talks about legislation to pursue "right to charge" which means strata can not stop you from charging you EV. Some new development site even advocate they were EV friendly. Besides, there were lot's of free public (shopping mall, local park, library, recreation center, etc.) or even office charging facilities available out here. Charging at supercharge station once in a while is not going to congest the traffic!

I'm just worried down the road there might be a day where all the V3 stalls are used up by SR+ cars that are road tripping... they'll be charging at 100kW compared to 250kW that the long range can do. I don't want Tesla to cap them, I'm buying a SR+, but the faster charge rate won't do ANYTHING to help congestion if people own cars that already can't max a V2 supercharger. That's why I kinda hope Tesla is able to open up SR+ to like 140 to 150kW charge peak.

Me too. I'm hoping Tesla to open up the charging speed for SR+ to minimize the "congestion". But back to the road trip, I've done two recently and haven't found any congestion in rural area. Even cities like Kamloops and Kelowna, there's always spots available. The only places I found congested were Downtown Vancouver and Guildford, Surrey.

Me too. I'm hoping Tesla to open up the charging speed for SR+ to minimize the "congestion". But back to the road trip, I've done two recently and haven't found any congestion in rural area. Even cities like Kamloops and Kelowna, there's always spots available. The only places I found congested were Downtown Vancouver and Guildford, Surrey.

That's good to hear! Just wonder how long that'll last if they're doing like 80,000+ cars a quarter!

I'm just worried down the road there might be a day where all the V3 stalls are used up by SR+ cars that are road tripping... they'll be charging at 100kW compared to 250kW that the long range can do.
Battery capacity is the biggest impact on charge rate when comparing the sr+ vs lr. Since the LR is roughly 1.5x the sr+ capacity, I don’t think you need to worry long term about 100kw on sr+ next to a LR doing 250kw. Sooner or later the sr+ will get the corresponding rate of (250kw/1.5) 167kw roughly.. so yeah it’ll always be a slower charge with the sr+ but not 2.5x slower!

Battery capacity is the biggest impact on charge rate when comparing the sr+ vs lr. Since the LR is roughly 1.5x the sr+ capacity, I don’t think you need to worry long term about 100kw on sr+ next to a LR doing 250kw. Sooner or later the sr+ will get the corresponding rate of (250kw/1.5) 167kw roughly.. so yeah it’ll always be a slower charge with the sr+ but not 2.5x slower!

Ya, I’m totally fine with 140-150kW eventually.... basically maxing our V2 chargers. I know it’ll never be the same because of the cell count, but it kills me a little thinking that it’s artificially capped on V2’s right now... possibly to differentiate the standard range models...

I think the V3 Supercharger will have similiar speeds to IONITY in Europe at 190kW, because it tappers at 40-45% on IONITY or so whereas here on V3 it goes below 150kW at 22%. Too bad they did not record the charging.
You can see most of my charging in this video, about 68% in 30 minutes gained, but the lower 15% I could've speed up in about 1-2 Minutes so it basically is faster.
Did a 500 mile road trip in Germany driving 110-115mph...Here are the results

Reactions: bwilson4web
What do you think Tesla will do as SR and SR+ cars start to populate the V3 chargers more and more?
Charge the same rates and access as any other Tesla. If the SuperCharging station becomes over populated or used, replace any under utilized destination chargers with V3 SuperChargers. Alternatively, add V3 SuperChargers to the other Tesla SuperCharging stations.

Bob Wilson