Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 location plans/cables on wrong side of V4 charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
An Atlanta Supercharger site about to begin construction have plans submitted with V4 as an alternate. So not sure if they are going in but........

What is going on with the cable on the WRONG side? This doesn't make any sense since you will have to use the charger in the parking space to the right of you (facing chargers) instead of the charger behind your car. This will be VERY confusing. What is the purpose of putting the cables on the "wrong" side of the chargers or is this a misprint?

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 7.21.40 AM.png

Never used an Urban before but looking at the pics they seem a little ungainly. You have a longer cable that twists to plug in. They are small and look to straddle or on the right side (facing) of the parking space. Since the V4 is much larger will it also straddle the parking spaces?

Seems the current straight behind pedestal, shorter and straight into car cable is a better method than a longer cable with a twist in it.

An Atlanta Supercharger site about to begin construction have plans submitted with V4 as an alternate. So not sure if they are going in but........

What is going on with the cable on the WRONG side? This doesn't make any sense since you will have to use the charger in the parking space to the right of you (facing chargers) instead of the charger behind your car. This will be VERY confusing. What is the purpose of putting the cables on the "wrong" side of the chargers or is this a misprint?

View attachment 896341
If they were intending compatibility it would make sense putting it there for reach.

The longer cable allows it easily to reach the rear left of a Tesla, and the position also allows it easily to reach the front left fender of typical US manufacturers' vehicles, or the rear right "on-street parallel parking" position the Germans love.

Reactions: Rocky_H and RTPEV
If they were intending compatibility it would make sense putting it there for reach.

The longer cable allows it easily to reach the rear left of a Tesla, and the position also allows it easily to reach the front left fender of typical US manufacturers' vehicles, or the rear right "on-street parallel parking" position the Germans love.
This would make the most sense. I guess since Tesla opened up the NACS they can open the V4's and apply for some IRA monies. Just wondering if the NACS will get approval for funds or how CCS would be handled? Seems like just offering a CCS adopter for sale would disqualify it.....but.....

This would make the most sense. I guess since Tesla opened up the NACS they can open the V4's and apply for some IRA monies. Just wondering if the NACS will get approval for funds or how CCS would be handled? Seems like just offering a CCS adopter for sale would disqualify it.....but.....
I've always been skeptical of the idea that the opening of NACS was a play to get Federal funding for NACS-only stalls, much less that it would work if that were the intent. There has been, though, reporting that Tesla intends to deploy a "built-in adapter" called "Magic Dock" to enable both CCS and NACS cars to charge off of one cable. The best reporting on this has been very vague, and appears to be based on leaked information from half a year ago or more. My interpretation is that the adapter will be keyed in some way (mechanically and/or electronically) such that it must remain attached to one or both of the charge pedestal or the charge cable, so as to prevent theft. If you look at the diagrams that you posted, the connector end of the cable looks like it's actually two pieces, and is much larger than the current Supercharger connectors. This is consistent with the reporting about the Magic Dock and my speculation, although the resolution in those diagrams is so low that we can't be certain of anything from that.

If this is something that's intended to serve both Tesla and CCS vehicles, by whatever means, then the new placement, in conjunction with what looks like a somewhat longer cable on the V4 cabinet, could be intended to make it work with a wider variety of vehicles.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's occurred to me recently that the Cybertruck might be a factor in the V4 design, too. Judging by the photos on the official Tesla Cybertruck site, it looks as if the charge port is a bit further forward on the vehicle than on the S, X, 3, or Y. In the photos, it looks like it's just behind the left rear wheel arch. A V2/V3 Supercharger design might well reach that location, but might also give less slack in the positioning of the vehicle, so a longer cable and/or different cable anchor point might be desirable.

This is largely speculative on my part, of course. I've never seen a Cybertruck in person, much less at a Supercharger to see how well the cable reaches, and even less how the as-yet-unseen-by-me V4 design would work with a Cybertruck or if it would help.

And they only need one cable.. with almost all (bar a few Japanese vehicles which persist with CHAdeMO) cars in Europe being CCS2 so the same plug as Tesla's.

In the US the V4s will need MagicDock or two cables.

(I also wonder whether these, and the other Euro sites to date are more V3.5, as they are still using the 400V cabinets)

And they only need one cable.. with almost all (bar a few Japanese vehicles which persist with CHAdeMO) cars in Europe being CCS2 so the same plug as Tesla's.

In the US the V4s will need MagicDock or two cables.

(I also wonder whether these, and the other Euro sites to date are more V3.5, as they are still using the 400V cabinets)
With NACS now an open standard it looks like Tesla can install a small number (maybe only 1) per station with a MagicDock to be IRA compliant. This may be another reason Tesla hasn't started in the US yet and is waiting to get confirmation on the exact requirements of NACS to CCS ratio.

Also if Tesla goes 800V on the Cybertruck (probably a mistake if they don't) and installs V4 with 800V in the US they may can just software update the European V4's to 800V.

With NACS now an open standard it looks like Tesla can install a small number (maybe only 1) per station with a MagicDock to be IRA compliant.
There is no IRA compliance rules. Maybe you mean NEVI compliant, which isn't part of the IRA, it is part of the BIL. And a NEVI compliant install requires at least 4 permanently attached CCS connectors. (There are also many other NEVI requirements that most V3 sites don't meet, like a minimum of 150kW output per NEVI port, while V3s normally have a minimum output of 90kW.)

In other news, Tesla did win contracts in Maine for 2 NEVI funded sites. So, they must have plans to meet all of the requirements. It will be interesting to see how those sites are configured and what equipment they use.

This was already announced and talked about in some detail as a side topic during the Semi truck delivery event. They did say that the Cybertruck is going to use the 1,000 volt architecture that the V4 Supercharger backend is capable of.
It was recently mentioned that the new V4 sites in Europe support up to 350kW. Which is likely up to 500A at a voltage of 700, or higher.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311