Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 Performance Enhancements for RWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not getting increased performance (that I can tell yet) but increased efficiency from torque sleep upon leaving the house

7.0 Torque Sleep Efficiency | TESLA OWNER

Thanks for that post. Did you make a conscious effort to keep the power meter at 0 kW to allow the motor to sleep? I'm just skeptical bc it seems like it would have to be exactly 0 in order to sleep the motor. I've never been able to do this even on mild downgrades in my S85. There is always some bounce back and forth between green and orange.

Aside: Do you notice less responsive torque, or a "dead region," at low power in 7.0?

I actually noticed the #s being shockingly low on the way down, and thought "how could this be happening?".

I decided on the way home after an hour swim, I would drive back home normally. I intentionally drove normally, passed a truck and for a while opened the pano roof etc... It was a nice 70 degrees. I was secretly hoping to be sub 300 but not driving that way.

Only when I did some research post data did I conclude it probably was torque sleep due to the conditions on the drive down. There is a two mile stretch I drive on that is a very mild road down between 35-40mph. You don't even notice the slope unless your on a bike. The large part of the 300 foot drop is in a 1/3 mile very steep road where regen is very high.

I suspect torque sleep on RWD cars doesn't kick in much at all. And I don't have anyway to know when it does for sure.

Thanks for that post. Did you make a conscious effort to keep the power meter at 0 kW to allow the motor to sleep? I'm just skeptical bc it seems like it would have to be exactly 0 in order to sleep the motor. I've never been able to do this even on mild downgrades in my S85. There is always some bounce back and forth between green and orange.

Aside: Do you notice less responsive torque, or a "dead region," at low power in 7.0?

Already posted elsewhere, but since it's related thought I should share here too.

Classics and AP builds seem to share the same drive unit. So not sure why AP gets the improved power output and classics don't.

see: 100% drive unit failure rate?? - Page 5

I don't think any of the RWD cars got a power boost, AP or not.
Other than the release notes there's no evidence of any actual power increase.

I don't think any of the RWD cars got a power boost, AP or not.
Other than the release notes there's no evidence of any actual power increase.
I thought a part of the performance increase to RWD cars was not only better acceleration above 30MPH (passing speed) but also they upped the top speed from 135 to 155... can anybody confirm?

I love how Tesla says all cars will get this improvement in the press when the reality apparently is it's just AP cars.... then they go completely silent on the issue after basically telling a fat one. I'd love to see some type of technical explanation around what parts, etc are different on our cars versus the new ones that explains why we got left behind despite promises to the contrary. Chalk this BS up to more "poor communication" from a company notorious for falling short in this particular category.

Already posted elsewhere, but since it's related thought I should share here too.
Classics and AP builds seem to share the same drive unit. So not sure why AP gets the improved power output and classics don't.
see: 100% drive unit failure rate?? - Page 5
Can you really conclude that? So you both got the same replacement part, but you might have just gotten the updated AP part during your replacement. My DU replacement has a different part number, and it's not clear that it's a post-AP part. Either way, they may be using the new part on all replacements.

In any case, I don't think it follows that classics and AP cars have the same drive unit just because they may both receive the same replacement part during a DU failure. That they can use the same new DU, sure, but not that they all already have it.

Further, we don't even know if it's the actual drive unit that's prevented us from getting the performance improvements. It could be something else entirely.

No performance enhancements for me, just the torque sleep. I am VIN 16186 from mid-2013.

I was looking forward to this release because Elon implied that it would contain goodness for owners of older cars. That didn't really happen. I wish I would have passed on the update. I really wanted the performance enhancements and TPMS, and updated only for those two things. Thanks Tesla. My grin is flatlining.

++1. It would be a great if we with the early cars got some of these enhancements. I'm assuming most of it is hardware related or maybe it's just that Tesla no longer cares about we early buyers. The latter would be a huge disappointment and it should be a concern to everyone. As time passes, the "new" car claim with software upgrades becomes total hype.

Further, we don't even know if it's the actual drive unit that's prevented us from getting the performance improvements. It could be something else entirely.

Then do you care to speculate what outside of the DU could be preventing us from getting the performance upgrade? And why don't we have any measurement of peak power output on 7 v 6 that correlate DU version?

Then do you care to speculate what outside of the DU could be preventing us from getting the performance upgrade? And why don't we have any measurement of peak power output on 7 v 6 that correlate DU version?
Sure, I love to speculate. There are a lot of things it could be.

I'm not a Tesla powertrain engineer, but we know things are complicated. A new fuse added a bunch of peak horsepower to the new P85Ds. How many people here expected that? Not many, I'd guess. We know there were battery changes at about the same time as the AP changes so it could be related to that somehow, and that the wiring harnesses were all new at that time. It's entirely possible something wasn't software-controllable on old cars but is now: for example, the legacy parking sensors live on a separate bus with no ability to be updated through the usual OTA process and must be physically accessed, whereas the AP sensors obviously can be.

If we had even the slightest idea what the actual performance improvement was we might be better able to speculate, but we don't even know if it's low end torque, high end power, improved throttle response, etc.

Or it could actually be dependent on a specific DU part/revision, but they have no way of knowing the actual DU installed in the car and must conservatively use whatever revision was installed at the time of manufacture.

Or it could actually be dependent on a specific DU part/revision, but they have no way of knowing the actual DU installed in the car and must conservatively use whatever revision was installed at the time of manufacture.

They definitely know what parts are installed on every MS through either service records or directly querying the device over the internal network for hardware revision.

They definitely know what parts are installed on every MS through either service records or directly querying the device over the internal network for hardware revision.

It would be a huge mistake to trust service records.

They might know the PN through version polling, but we just don't know. And that's only IF the DU is what qualifies for the performance improvement, and as noted above, we don't even know if that's the case.

The revised "throttle" curve makes more of a difference and ALL cars got that.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. My Mid-2013 P85 has exactly the same throttle response as before. Absolutely no change and I would know.

- - - Updated - - -

My March 2013 S85 (with a somewhat more current replacement DU) is exactly the same as before. Absolutely no perceivable difference in performance or throttle sensitivity.

^^ ditto!

Our cars really are twins!

- - - Updated - - -

Could be specific to the inverter.

No performance enhancements for me, just the torque sleep. I am VIN 16186 from mid-2013.

I was looking forward to this release because Elon implied that it would contain goodness for owners of older cars. That didn't really happen. I wish I would have passed on the update. I really wanted the performance enhancements and TPMS, and updated only for those two things. Thanks Tesla. My grin is flatlining.

Im still wondering how we know if we got torque sleep and what it really does for us. I know its in the release notes but how/when does it kick in? What is it supposed to do? Does any setting enable/disable it or is it all just automatic?

Im still wondering how we know if we got torque sleep and what it really does for us. I know its in the release notes but how/when does it kick in? What is it supposed to do? Does any setting enable/disable it or is it all just automatic?

All automatic and occurs when you are using zero energy to drive the car (i.e., stopped at a red light). It will shut our only motor off when it's not needed and renenergize if when we hit the go-pedal, versus leaving it primed at all times when we are in gear.