Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the V9 update but wasn’t sure how to install the usb properly. I reread the instructions from Tesla but couldn’t figure out how to reformat my usb. I renamed the usb as TeslaCam but couldn’t get it to work. Can someone lend a helping hand? Thanks for your help.

I got the V9 update but wasn’t sure how to install the usb properly. I reread the instructions from Tesla but couldn’t figure out how to reformat my usb. I renamed the usb as TeslaCam but couldn’t get it to work. Can someone lend a helping hand? Thanks for your help.

You have to format the drive in a filesystem called FAT32 first. How you do this depends what operating system you're using. Then you create a folder called TeslaCam at the top level directory. I agree Tesla's instructions on this are crap. I'm still waiting on my V9 update...

Search "format fat32 windows" or "format fat32 mac". If you're using straight Unix or Linux you best already know how to do this... :p

• Helpful
Reactions: Chewy3

Did you look up the web to use a fat32 formatter?

I'm surprised Tesla did not include a setup option for a USB drive in the update. One that would format the drive and create the TeslaCam folder without requiring another system.

Not even that but simply support all file systems. This is trivial. Create the folder themselves. Very much a tacked on feature. The support of other file system is a security concern I'll admit but creating the folder is trivial.

Remember it's not about renaming the name of the USB to TeslaCam, you need to create a folder within the USB called TeslaCam.

Mine has also worked briefly and then stopped, as indicated by an X on the camera icon instead of a red dot. At first I was using an older 8GB flash drive. It worked for awhile on 39.6, and then I noticed once I had updated to 39.7 it was broken. I have read that the update may have corrupted it. So I removed it, reformatted and tried again. It worked again, but once again some time later it stopped.

Today I bought a new 32GB flash drive, and the story has been the same. After setting it up it worked, but I noticed tonight after an evening out that when I returned to my car to go home, it was not functioning yet again.

My theory is that the USB drive is not being shutdown cleanly when the car powers off. I think that if it was writing to the USB drive during power off, then the next time the car turns on it will find the corrupted USB drive and display the X on the camera ICON. To avoid this, I have been pausing the dashcam recording by long pressing the camera ICON before I get out of the car. So far this has worked for me, and I no longer have been getting the X.

p.s. When I got the X before using the above procedure, I plugged the USB drive into my Windows 10 computer and let it scan and correct the corruption. The USB drive then worked fine again in my car.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner