Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed your instructional a bit but just used windows to disk management to create 32gb partitions as FAT32 named and put music in one then tested, it works great with a USB3.1 64GB scandisk class 10 (tried a cheepy didn't work) lol

I can't see anywhere this may have been suggested, probably has but anyway.

I have configured the USB for music and TeslaCam partitions, it records all the cameras great but I only see what they captured after returning home, removing USB, plugging into computer and opening the individual files.

it would be so much easier to get into the car see the notifications on the screen as they do and tap it and be able to view the related files then and there on the screen, you would then know immediately if an incident needs reporting to police without the delay of getting home first or if it was just a passing admirer of the car.

I followed your instructional a bit but just used windows to disk management to create 32gb partitions as FAT32 named and put music in one then tested, it works great with a USB3.1 64GB scandisk class 10 (tried a cheepy didn't work) lol

I can't see anywhere this may have been suggested, probably has but anyway.

I have configured the USB for music and TeslaCam partitions, it records all the cameras great but I only see what they captured after returning home, removing USB, plugging into computer and opening the individual files.

it would be so much easier to get into the car see the notifications on the screen as they do and tap it and be able to view the related files then and there on the screen, you would then know immediately if an incident needs reporting to police without the delay of getting home first or if it was just a passing admirer of the car.
There is a YouTube review by Terry White of a solution that lets you stream TeslaCam footage right from the car on your phone. Take a look if interested. I haven't tried it, so I'm just passing it along since you asked about an 'in-car' solution. I wish it was native to the Tesla environment and played on the big screen, but that may be too much to ask for. Link here:

FWIW - some people have mentioned this above, here's my recap, hopefully useful for some.

1 - Rather than use Windows' utilities (OK but a little cumbersome), you can use AOMEI (free), a fully GUI (graphical user interface, using point and click, no need for diskpart command, which with just a little misspelling could wipe out the wrong drive). Just first wipe the flash drive (delete all partitions), then create the first 32GB FAT32 partition and allocate the rest to another FAT32 partition. NTFS is better aka more secure but since it's for music it doesn't matter.
2 - rather than a flash drive (even good one like the Sandisk), use a SSD (Solid State Drive). They are faster and more reliable. Downside is that you'll need to connect it thru a USB 3.0 cable (to SATA). Brand quality varies, I prefer the Samsung, other brands sometimes have duds. Only thing, just leave about 12% of the drive unallocated, this is used for maintenance, so it wears less.

And once in a while (maybe every time you change your oil LOL, maybe ea 3 or 6 months, run your SATA drive on your PC and reoptimize it (in Windows, show the X drive, and in Properties tab, click on Optimize).

By the time I sell my dear '08 Merc which runs like a charm (and '08 is the year Mercedes saved Tesla w/ and investment and purchase agreement for their Smart electric pack), and get the Model Y, the SSD will be in a chicklet form factor and the Tesla OS will do all of these itself :D

FWIW - some people have mentioned this above, here's my recap, hopefully useful for some.

1 - Rather than use Windows' utilities (OK but a little cumbersome), you can use AOMEI (free), a fully GUI (graphical user interface, using point and click, no need for diskpart command, which with just a little misspelling could wipe out the wrong drive). Just first wipe the flash drive (delete all partitions), then create the first 32GB FAT32 partition and allocate the rest to another FAT32 partition. NTFS is better aka more secure but since it's for music it doesn't matter.
2 - rather than a flash drive (even good one like the Sandisk), use a SSD (Solid State Drive). They are faster and more reliable. Downside is that you'll need to connect it thru a USB 3.0 cable (to SATA). Brand quality varies, I prefer the Samsung, other brands sometimes have duds. Only thing, just leave about 12% of the drive unallocated, this is used for maintenance, so it wears less.

And once in a while (maybe every time you change your oil LOL, maybe ea 3 or 6 months, run your SATA drive on your PC and reoptimize it (in Windows, show the X drive, and in Properties tab, click on Optimize).

By the time I sell my dear '08 Merc which runs like a charm (and '08 is the year Mercedes saved Tesla w/ and investment and purchase agreement for their Smart electric pack), and get the Model Y, the SSD will be in a chicklet form factor and the Tesla OS will do all of these itself :D

Manual says only FAT32 file system is supported. No NTFS

So....We had an unused 2TB Hard Drive lying around the house. We took possession of our M3 about two weeks ago and I'm just getting around to the Sentry mode. I formatted the 2TB Hard Drive to FAT32 but did not partition it beforehand.

Can this be done after the fact or do I need to wipe the drive and start over?

P.S. I haven't tested it in the car yet.

So....We had an unused 2TB Hard Drive lying around the house. We took possession of our M3 about two weeks ago and I'm just getting around to the Sentry mode. I formatted the 2TB Hard Drive to FAT32 but did not partition it beforehand.

Can this be done after the fact or do I need to wipe the drive and start over?

P.S. I haven't tested it in the car yet.

Not a good idea to put a spinning-platter drive in a car. Probably.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Use PartitionMagic free edition to split / resize / reformat the disk with FAT32. I've had probs with external drives due to power limitations with the USB port, but seeing as the M3 is used for phone charging, try it and see - will probably be ok.

Regards,
Alex

For sure it will work. The question is what kinds of G forces are applied to the hard drive and whether those G forces are always short of what's required to generate a head crash. I don't remember what the recommended limits are on that but it's something you can look up. For sure the easiest way around this is just use the increasingly common and affordable SSD. We have one in each of our cars.

For sure it will work. The question is what kinds of G forces are applied to the hard drive and whether those G forces are always short of what's required to generate a head crash. I don't remember what the recommended limits are on that but it's something you can look up. For sure the easiest way around this is just use the increasingly common and affordable SSD. We have one in each of our cars.

Yes, I'd agree. I went with the 1Tb SanDisk Extreme SSD for reliability and power.

I have followed all of the steps, and my 32GB drive looks good, however, when I plug it in the car, I do not get the USB icon in the audio section. Only radio, streaming, etc. I have also rebooted the car. Suggestions?
Make sure you’re connected to a Data line and not just the power line. It should read it. Also did you named the folder TeslaCam

For only music, you will need a specific format music file, I forget which one I had to reformat then too.. M4a or something.

Some Y splitter cables are marked blue for Data.

Fred

Screenshot (452).png

32gb is too small to cut in half, you should just use the whole drive for one Dashcam or music.

The 16gb will be over written fast or fill up fast on the TeslaCam side.

Also some drives don’t last, they recommend the high endurance ones, I use a 500 SSD card. It’s tiny and work very well.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt