Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, thanks, the original advice was the 16GB was more than sufficient.

When the dashcam only used 1 camera that was likely fine.

Today it has 4 cameras and just the 1-hour loop uses 7.2GB... each 10 minute sentry set is another 1.2GB (ditto 1.2 GB for any manually saved 10 minute sets)

So I'd expect you to burn through the useful life of that drive in a year or less now depending how often you get sentry alerts or save manually.... not to mention flash memory (of all types) gets significantly slower when they're mostly full so that'd be another problem with that small a partition.

The question is however, why is the music not showing up at all?

Do you have a screen shot showing contents of the music partition like you showed for the Teslacam one?

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Ok they are M4A files, get a free MP3 to M4A converter program and try converting one song over to M4A and give that a try. That’s what I had to do.

4015A25F-0929-43EE-9CAD-8B69E81569ED.jpeg

This is a model 3 forum, you have a Model S, so you might want to find the appropriate thread in the model S forum. I'm aware that there was an update a while back that broke USB audio functionality on certain older S models, but it was restored in a subsequent update, so if you're software is up to date you should be fine now. And you should also check your USB device on a computer and make sure it's still working.

there is no "best practice". it all depends on the end user and their needs.

id want the most storage for video since it can take up a lot of space quickly. music (mp3) is not as storage hungry.

i used to have a partitioned M.2 ssd but went back to separate drives for sentry and music.

I guess I was trying to figure out how much video space to partition off. We no longer have just 1 camera that's being recorded. I don't think 16 GB will be enough anymore. What is the recommended ideal, not minimum, size for the TeslaCam, considering the increase number of cameras?

It's really your choice. How much music stuff do you want or need to carry around? A lot loaded on at once, or do you constantly massage your music files like I do? I don't need much more than 80 gb for my music use, although I have a 256gb m.2 sata drive for it. If you want to have a bunch of music loaded, you might just split the drive in half - 500gb is going to be a lot of space for both uses. And remember, if you don't like your original choice, you can always redo it later.

I don't need much more than 80 gb for my music use, although I have a 256gb m.2 sata drive for it.

So, what you're saying is that you have around 170 GB for TESLACAM. Have you found this to be enough? How often do you have to delete footage?

I do appreciate the replies folks. But, again, I am trying to determine how much space I should use for TESLACAM. Please stop referring to music. I'll make do with whatever space I have left for music. Again, I'd like some concrete numbers of how much space TESLACAM takes up with all the cameras now...

When this guide was originally written, 16GB for just 1 camera seems to be the recommendation. Much has changed since then. Isn't there any updated information on this?