Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed; it's always been random.

There are things I like about it. It's nice to be able to push a destination from Google Maps on my phone over to the Tesla Nav screen. Many of the controls are better organized / streamlined.

Enabling all cameras is good but we'll see how well it works in the real world. I've only driven it briefly. It shows different classes of vehicles as different symbols, which is nice. It shows traffic all around the car - also nice. We'll see how some of the new collision avoidance features work though...

Unfortunately the inability to tile the screens the way I want / need is a major disadvantage.

Judging by recent TeslaFi page it’s starting to rollout to 3’s. 7:50 est:

E9EB2BB8-D5EC-407B-A1DC-D7E2DE9FF548.png

It appears to me that you can no longer put the camera on the top half of the screen. I HATE that and I think it is a safety risk as with the camera on the top half of the screen you could keep one eye on the road while you check the screen to see if it is safe to change lanes. With the camera on the bottom half you have to look much farther down. (Unless I am missing something about the camera location).

I just watched a video on Facebookon the "Tesla Owners Worldwide" page that shows it is possible to move it up, as well as to essentially get 2 apps on the screen at the same time.

I just watched a video on Facebookon the "Tesla Owners Worldwide" page that shows it is possible to move it up, as well as to essentially get 2 apps on the screen at the same time.
Ive
VIN shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's randomized to the best of everyone's knowledge.

Tony,

Did you purchase Autopilot? I’ve been in contact with the service and, as mentioned before, in the thread they weren’t aware that Canadians without early access received the v9 update.

But he mentioned that the S / X vehicles which received the updates first had EAP enabled.

Ive

Tony,

Did you purchase Autopilot? I’ve been in contact with the service and, as mentioned before, in the thread they weren’t aware that Canadians without early access received the v9 update.

But he mentioned that the S / X vehicles which received the updates first had EAP enabled.

I do have Enhanced Auto Pilot. There are several Canadians that I'm aware of that have received the update. The Service Center staff usually doesn't know what's going on with these kind of things to be honest.

I highly doubt it's random. Based on my experience in software deployment, I will make an educated guess that the stepped roll-out happens according to some unknown but specific criteria. It's likely based on factors such as:

- geographic location
- car version (HW revisions of electronic components, PCB revisions)
- driving history (km/day, km/week); usage of auto-pilot or not, time of day usage, usage of certain features
etc, etc.

Using this approach they can stagger the releases and monitor backend logs to ensure a smooth roll-out without unintentionally breaking something for a large number of users. For example, to avoid situations like this: Smart lock vendor accidentally bricks its own locks through firmware update

Reactions: dighn
That's odd, I'm already on v9 and I just got another software update notice on my phone. I'll update it shortly and then I'll report back.

Edit: one cool thing is that you can now start the software update over your phone app.

Edit2: I'm not sure what changed, as the release notes were the standard v9 release notes. I'm now on 2018.39.7 9736c9b

Last edited:
That's odd, I'm already on v9 and I just got another software update notice on my phone. I'll update it shortly and then I'll report back.

Edit: one cool thing is that you can now start the software update over your phone app.

Edit2: I'm not sure what changed, as the release notes were the standard v9 release notes. I'm now on 2018.39.7 9736c9b
That's the same version I just got updated to... Just got phone notification the update was successful and checked my phone app for version...ok, sleep now...

Reactions: GlenM