Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vanished Android Tesla App? [Update: app is in the Google Play store]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more comment: There are several third-party Tesla apps that provide more-or-less overlapping feature sets with Tesla's app -- you can use them to unlock the car from the other side of the planet, enable or stop charging, etc. If you're having troubles installing or using Tesla's app, perhaps a third-party app will work for you. I don't know offhand if any of these apps will let you set up the phone-as-key functionality, though. If not, then you'll need to install Tesla's app if you want to use that feature.

A caveat: You must provide a token or your password to use a third-party app. This is a security risk -- the developer may be untrustworthy; and even if the developer isn't Snidely Whiplash, the developer may have made a security mistake that will put your credentials at risk. At a minimum, I recommend researching choices carefully before you install and use an app. Every one you install and use increases your exposure, so trying out several is inadvisable. If you must try more than one, change your Tesla password after you're done testing.

Ok, some more digging and comparing the last two versions...

New services (none removed):
  • com.teslamotors.plugins.ble.TeslaCardEmulationService
New dependencies (none removed):
  • libjingle_peerconnection_so.so
New permissions:
  • android.permission.NFC
Removed permissions:
  • android.permission.CAMERA
New feature requirements (I think this is it)
  • <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.nfc.hce" android:required="true"/>
Notable non-changes:
  • Android API is the same level
  • Minimum Android version is the same

Notably, the new service specifically requires some sort of NFC permission now. I won't pretend to know how Android apps work at all, but perhaps the presence of this service now declaring a need for NFC is what results in it not being listed for some folks. Along with the explicit call-out for NFC as a required feature, this is likely the problem people are seeing IMO.

<service
android:name="com.teslamotors.plugins.ble.TeslaCardEmulationService"
android: permission="android.permission.BIND_NFC_SERVICE"
android:exported="true">
<meta-data
android:name="android.nfc.cardemulation.host_apdu_service"
android:resource="(reference) @0x7f100000"/>
<intent-filter>
<action
android:name="android.nfc.cardemulation.action.HOST_APDU_SERVICE"/>
</intent-filter>
</service>

But I have no idea.

EDIT: I'm also really interested in the new library. On the surface it looks like some WebRTC support. Wonder what they're doing?

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
So this something I've been dealing with for about a week, ever since the app was updated with the estimated mileage on the charging limit slider. My Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge phone found the Tesla app in the Play Store and updated fine. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10" (SM-T580) is still not listing the Tesla app in the Store.

Using the direct link that @bbell provided, the app says that it's incompatible with my device and will not let me install it. Oh well, at least I can still query the status of my car and control everything I need to with the tablet for now.

So this something I've been dealing with for about a week, ever since the app was updated with the estimated mileage on the charging limit slider. My Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge phone found the Tesla app in the Play Store and updated fine. My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10" (SM-T580) is still not listing the Tesla app in the Store.

Using the direct link that @bbell provided, the app says that it's incompatible with my device and will not let me install it. Oh well, at least I can still query the status of my car and control everything I need to with the tablet for now.

Your 6 Edge has NFC, but your SM-T580 does not. This implies my findings above may indeed have an effect.

I'm sure this wasn't an intentional move by Tesla (at least not yet), so please drop a review in the Play Store with your experience and info.

To confirm, the new version shows the following under details:

Showing permissions for all versions of this app
This app has access to:
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rw
Contacts
  • read your contacts
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20-rw
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rw
Photos/Media/Files
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rw
Storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rw
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • approximate location (network-based)
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rw
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
HamT9lfCgDFF51sEKg0PVXBeo5spdXLKf7ZGZwBg4DqDCzIqraYBO3iNyi0cqGzXR_wktUPw56h-_KUf=s20-rw
Calendar
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rw
Phone
  • read phone status and identity

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • control Near Field Communication
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • draw over other apps
  • run at startup
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • control vibration
  • modify system settings
  • full network access
  • Google Play license check

@640k I'll grant you that "Is this more anti-Musk activity?" is unlikely here, but if you don't see the problems of how we've painted ourselves into this data collection corner, and consider it a tin foil hat concern, then you must know a whole lot more than all the pros who work with it.

The NFC theory, I dunno. My Samsung Note 3 is equipped with (working) NFC.

As to the forced obsolescence issue, something like 90% of professional recording studios have been resisting Apple's pressure and are running DIY-upgraded 2009-2012 Mac Pros, for very good reasons.

Anybody know a good new phone with removable battery?

Last edited:
Well, no, don't do this unless absolutely necessary. For all the misgivings about OP needing to sign in to use the Play store, it's at least a somewhat more trustworthy option than a mirror site. Especially for an app that you're giving a password and access to your car to.

This is safe if you're installing over an existing installation from the Play Store. The package installer will reject it if the signature doesn't match.

This is safe if you're installing over an existing installation from the Play Store. The package installer will reject it if the signature doesn't match.

I think the largest problem is that new owners possibly can't install the app, so the signature verification you describe would not occur. Existing owners with an existing app still have an app to use while this is sorted out.

I think the largest problem is that new owners possibly can't install the app, so the signature verification you describe would not occur. Existing owners with an existing app still have an app to use while this is sorted out.

Fair, but if you just bought a $40k+ car that you know uses (or can use) your phone as a key, just buy a brand new $300 Pixel 3 or whatever the reasonably priced, very slightly old iPhone is. I get the whole forced obsolescence thing, but the MUCH better pictures of your kids / grandkids are worth it anyway :)

Edit - I should also point out that reputable sites like apkmirror verify the signature matches the Play Store listing before they host it.

Last edited:
Same here. I'm pretty sure it's an NFC related issue. I have a Xiaomi Mi A2 with stock Android one, with up to date security updates and version 9 of Android.

App works fine, no last update and listed as not compatible with my phone.

Sure, I'm logging in to the Play Store, but that doesn't help. My wife's Galaxy 6 is able to download it, my other Galaxy 6 I only use for WiFi, cannot. My wife's has Android 7, the secondary has 5.02, not sure why. It seems they are cutting off based on criteria that might not be correctly reflecting capabilities. Personally it's not how I'd run that project.

Oh, and BTW, aside from the swappable battery, on my 'obsolete' Note 3 I also have something like a terabyte of 1080 and 4K videos by quick access to swap microSD cards - and SIM cards. And I'm picky, but surprisingly I have no quarrel with the camera. Smart stylus, NFC, the list goes on - best phone I've ever had. Sure, I'll get a newer one at some point, but why should we be pressured into wasting working gear?

Last edited:
If this is a problem of incompatibility with phones that lack NFC support, then that sounds like a bug/oversight, and should be treated as such: Post a comment/review in the Google Play Store entry for the app, press and hold the right button on the Model 3's steering wheel and say "bug report: Can't download Tesla app on {phone make/model}," and/or report the problem on Tesla's contact page.

In the meantime, if you really need the Tesla app on the phone in question, the solution is likely to be to install it from an unofficial source. That carries some security risks, as others have noted, so take whatever precautions you deem necessary. Alternatively, if you don't need to set up phone-as-key functionality or if a third-party app can do this, you could try a third-party Tesla app instead of Tesla's own app. Using a third-party app carries its own risks, though, as I noted earlier.

BTW, during the chat I suggested they put 3.10.1 back up until they fix 3.10.2. May be just a coincidence, but it looks like they've done that now, at least for phones that already have the app installed. The Play Store now shows the Tesla app as installed and it's the 3.10.1 version. Previously, the installed app wasn't even showing up in the Store. Also, if you look at the app details in Android, it no longer says, "This app isn't compatible with your device anymore".

However, for an "incompatible" device that doesn't already have the app installed, it still isn't listed in the Play Store.

Confirmed. My Galaxy Tab A now shows the Tesla app in the Store. It's version 3.10.1-384 released Oct 14, 2019. Previously (like yesterday), the app was not even listed in the Store, even though it was already installed on my tablet. Waiting for the next update where NFC is not required but mileage (range) on the charging slider is present.

The Play Store now shows the Tesla app as installed and it's the 3.10.1 version. Previously, the installed app wasn't even showing up in the Store. Also, if you look at the app details in Android, it no longer says, "This app isn't compatible with your device anymore".

FWIW, the Web-based version of the Play Store now shows the current version as "Varies with device." Earlier, in post #11 of this thread, @Fernand said that the current version was specified as 3.10.2-388.

Try a direct link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla&hl=en

If not, you can always download from one of the apk repositories at your own risk, but I have never had a problem when I had to revert an app due to bugs

Tesla APKs - APKMirror
This is exactly what I had to do is use the APK. My saga started when I went to install the new updated app and first deleted the old app only to find that my version of phone was not compatible with the newest app. The older app is no longer in the playstore.

• Helpful
Reactions: ellienovember
This is exactly what I had to do is use the APK. My saga started when I went to install the new updated app and first deleted the old app only to find that my version of phone was not compatible with the newest app. The older app is no longer in the playstore.

THANK YOU! The direct link is the only thing that worked for me after trying a few other separate links. Interesting that this is still happening March 2020 when this thread has been quiet since December. I have a Galaxy Edge S8 - is my phone that old?!