Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart message: what to do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

This morning when I went to head off to work in my 2016 MS 75D, I got a series of nerve-wracking messages on the IC display:

“Vehicle may not restart:Service is required” (x2)
“Please wait while system performs check”
“Power reduced:Vehicle systems shutting down”

All of these appeared within 10 seconds, and then the car seemed to perform as normal, for the drive to work and home again.

So, I’ve seen some mentions of similar messages on this forum, but what to do?
  • Ignore it?
  • Schedule ranger service (keep driving)?
  • Schedule SC service (keep driving)?
  • Schedule service (park the car until serviced)?
Welcome your thoughts, thanks,

Todd

Greetings,

This morning when I went to head off to work in my 2016 MS 75D, I got a series of nerve-wracking messages on the IC display:

All of these appeared within 10 seconds, and then the car seemed to perform as normal, for the drive to work and home again.

• Ignore it?

Todd

2016 90D
I ignored the warnings and the car ultimately shut down to protect the battery pack and took the 12v with it. In my case it was a battery thermal device (pump?} which failed. Costly tow {$400} and time in the shop plus a new 12v battery. If you can avoid driving it I would .

Note the time stamps for the errors and request service. They will remotely review the logs and get back to you via text. Those are pretty generic errors so could end up being many things, but for me, it also ended up being the battery coolant heater pump, which the logs clearly showed as faulty. Replaced under warranty. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I had the first two warnings in addition to "Regenerative braking system disabled" and I immediately called Tesla Roadside service. They told me to drive the car to my nearest Service Center before trying a hard system reset, just in case the car doesn't start up again I would be at the Service Center and not need to tow the vehicle.

The reset didn't resolve my issues and my local Service Center expedited the diagnosis replaced the following:

Drive unit, HV battery contactors, Pyro fuse, HVAC drain hose, and coolant (80K/6yr old)
12V Battery (16months old)

All of which was covered under warranty for our 11/13 built S85.

We had the same thing on our S a couple of times. Once it was the HV pack that ended up being replaced. The second time it was crud in one of the connectors for the HV pack. They cleaned and replugged the connector and that fixed it. So, it could be a small thing or a big thing but don't ignore it. Let Tesla run the logs and investigate further.

It seems I'm joining into this club too. My 2015 MS 70D is getting the "Vehicle may not restart" error message it appears only when I activate the pre-heating over the app and once the battery pre-heating stops I see this error in the Notifications. No driving limits or regen limit if the battery is heated up. I saw the message also once in the spring, did not appear in summer at all. My guess would be battery coolant heater pump ?! I guess I will see what SC diagnose. Just getting there will be a problem now. Are rangers able to fix this ?

It seems I'm joining into this club too. My 2015 MS 70D is getting the "Vehicle may not restart" error message it appears only when I activate the pre-heating over the app and once the battery pre-heating stops I see this error in the Notifications. No driving limits or regen limit if the battery is heated up. I saw the message also once in the spring, did not appear in summer at all. My guess would be battery coolant heater pump ?! I guess I will see what SC diagnose. Just getting there will be a problem now. Are rangers able to fix this ?
If it’s the heater pump. The rangers CAN but usually the mobile service team prefer to keep visits to 1-2 hours. The pump takes longer because it has to be purged. I had one done in my garage several years ago and it still ended up at the service center the next day. If I was you I’d recommend emailing or calling service because each time I’ve gotten the car may not restart within a couple days it powered off. In one case I turned into my doctors office and it powered down while driving.

I had the issue as well in both my Model X and Model S. On the Model X, it was the battery heater that had to be replaced. For my Model S, it was the coolant pump:

The blanket heater part number they replaced was:
MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER(1048941-00-E)
COOLANT, ETHYLENE GLYCOL, 50/50 MIX(1029320-00-A)

The coolant pump part number they replaced was:
COOLANT PUMP ASSY, FOAM ISOLATED(1067473-00-H)

If under factory warranty, they are covered. If out of warranty, they are out of pocket.

If it’s the heater pump. The rangers CAN but usually the mobile service team prefer to keep visits to 1-2 hours. The pump takes longer because it has to be purged. I had one done in my garage several years ago and it still ended up at the service center the next day. If I was you I’d recommend emailing or calling service because each time I’ve gotten the car may not restart within a couple days it powered off. In one case I turned into my doctors office and it powered down while driving.
I have that feeling that I'm driving with this problem for months. As I mentioned before I had the error message "Vehicle may not restart" already in spring but it went away and I never seen it again until now. But shortly after it appeared first time I had a vampire drain issue. Car was loosing 20mil/30km daily for almost two weeks without being driven. After some update it went away after an update. The SC that time mentioned already if I set any kind of preconditioning that it looks to be because of that so it may have been that pump. Now with the winter coming and pre heating to be used it is coming back. I did already write to SC I'll sent them what I found out today, we will see what happens. But getting to SC will be a problem there is none in my country and boarders are quite hard to get across now in Europe.

I had the issue as well in both my Model X and Model S. On the Model X, it was the battery heater that had to be replaced. For my Model S, it was the coolant pump:

The blanket heater part number they replaced was:
MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER(1048941-00-E)
COOLANT, ETHYLENE GLYCOL, 50/50 MIX(1029320-00-A)

The coolant pump part number they replaced was:
COOLANT PUMP ASSY, FOAM ISOLATED(1067473-00-H)

If under factory warranty, they are covered. If out of warranty, they are out of pocket.

Yes car still is in warranty, I just in February bought it used from Tesla and have the extended warranty for 2 more years.
If it would be just a pump. Is it not just about clamping the houses and replacing it ? Should be simple... and the air would get out over time...

Yes car still is in warranty, I just in February bought it used from Tesla and have the extended warranty for 2 more years.
If it would be just a pump. Is it not just about clamping the houses and replacing it ? Should be simple... and the air would get out over time...

For my Model S, the pump wasn't just functioning. For some odd reason no error code or alert was found on the Notification page within the car. I found it when I tried to turned on Ludicrous + acceleration mode and the Toy Box Ludicrous +, and what I noticed that it would never reached the required 50c. If I did a few runs on the drag strip, the HV part started to get hot, and since it could not be cooled down, the car reduced power down to 100kw, so it turned into a 134 bhp Honda Civic.

I used the app, put in the details, and explained that the coolant pump is bad. They had me to do a live test to confirm my findings, and they ordered the part and is replacing as we speak...

I sent 2 weeks ago what I found to Tesla SC whit screenshots of the error messages and got no reply back. Surprise...
But for now the car works and I have not seen that message again but I'm trying to avoid preconditioning as much as possible. Not sure if it is the right choice though... would be good to get this fixed in warranty.

Greetings,

• Ignore it?

Todd
I just got these messages on my 2013 Tesla S85. How did you resolve this?

My 2014 S gave me alerts “Vehicle May Not Restart” and “Acceleration and Top Speed has been reduced”.
Then a few days later I got this additional alert “Schedule Service Appointment to Replace Low Voltage Battery”.

Just had battery replaced, and all is good, Except my instrument cluster continues to occasionally fade to white, then goes black while driving.
I hold down the two top buttons on the steering wheel to reboot. It comes back up.
Tesla has quoted $2100 to replace the screen, but I suspect the signal or power connection is faulty. The tape around the edge has come unglued.

Anyone else experienced this?
Thanks!

$2100 to replace the Instrument Cluster, or $1500 to replace both screens and upgrade to MCU2... The Instrument Cluster is on MCU1 is it's own "computer" per say. When Upgrading to MCU2, the IC in incorporated into the MCU (one "computer" vs. 2 with MCU1).